• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia (1 Viewer)

In case of interest, here are my Railbabbler records, most from TN and all those seen were after whistling/playback...

#Way Kambas: 1 calling and seen well. First heard to call from fairly open area of forest next to the main track a few kms from the clearing. Quickly glimpsed moving through the dense ground cover (a reasonable view with the smooth, rufous back seen well, leaving me quite astonished). Then responded to our whistles and furtively circled at about 10m, occasionally allowing further brief views. Once ran along an exposed log giving a fantastic view of the whole bird. Also seen to fly a couple of times.
#2 calling in the muddy gully close to Yong hide. Brilliant views of 1 over 30 mins, at ranges down to 3m. Calling frequently in response to my whistles, the blue airsacks inflating as the bird stooped with its chest to the ground on each call. A Garnet Pitta also came in close calling but didn't show.
#1 heard only near Simpon
#1 calling and seen briefly from trail back from Kumbang
#Way Titias: 1 probable heard only during the walk out
#1 calling for a long time on Jenet Mudah and eventually glimpsed with the naked eye
#1 heard only on the swamp loop
#1 calling and watched on and off for 30 mins beside the river crossing near Kumbang hide. Incredible views, down to 3m and on the trail at times.

Andy, that is a nice little collection. I have heard the damn things many times, mainly in August! I get the impression that June is a good time to connect but that is no use to me. Cheers, Paul

Paul, they were variously in March, April, July and August so quite a good spread. Great to see you briefly in Sussex the other day...!

Paul, they were variously in March, April, July and August so quite a good spread. Great to see you briefly in Sussex the other day...!

Good to see you too and thanks again for putting me on the bird. Hope you didn't put in too much time waiting for it to return. I managed to get into work for 07.45!

Does anyone have an up to date IOC checklist for Pen. Malaysia that can be used for recording a trip of 21 days, ideally in word or excel, that they can share? Avibase have IOC8.1 but seem to only want to give me 10 days worth of recording room in pdf format. When converted to a document, these take me half a life time to edit (no doubt this is down to my limited ICT skills ).

Cheers,

Paul

I’ve pasted a checklist from the IOC web pages into Excel, formatted it nicely and Paul is running with that. Would be happy to do the same for other regions if anyone ever wanted, didn’t take long...
Andy

I’ve pasted a checklist from the IOC web pages into Excel, formatted it nicely and Paul is running with that. Would be happy to do the same for other regions if anyone ever wanted, didn’t take long...
Andy

How did you isolate Malaysian birds?

Sorry, just went back and looked - I used the avibase web pages that Paul mentioned. There’s a Pen Malaysia option tucked away...

Phew! Thought I was missing something obvious for a minute there!

If folk are HMB online members they can filter by their taxonomy by country and export to excel, word or PDF. Gives you all their "interesting" splits which maybe highlights taxa to keep an eye on in case they're validated later.

McM

The important gen is I'm now in Kuala Tahan and contrary to popular belief several places serve beer and there's a shop selling beer, wine and spirits.

The important gen is I'm now in Kuala Tahan and contrary to popular belief several places serve beer and there's a shop selling beer, wine and spirits.

No belief about it, the only place to get booze when I was there (and belive me I looked!), was at the resort on the other side of the river.

very good news! I'' be there in exactly one month.
Don't flush those ground birds too much :)

(and more important: don't drink all the beer!)

No sight nor sound of Argus. MPP was a lifer. I've heard them frustrating close several times before so it was especially pleasing to finally see one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back