• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Male Hen Harrier??? - Kent UK (1 Viewer)

Bluben79

United Kingdom
Whilst watching some Snipe, Meadow Pipits and Lapwing in a Marshside field today the birds were disturbed. I looked up and in a flash saw a Bird of Prey chasing them down.. I'm fairly new to this so not sure as to what it might have been. The colour was like a milky grey/blue on the top of the wings and body. I didn't see the belly and I didn't notice any wingtip colours. They may have been present but I was fairly caught in the fleeting moment. I was standing approximately forty yards away and the bird was hunting maybe 10' - 15' from the ground. There was an audible whoosh as it passed as it quickly changed direction in the air. Unfortunately it flew over a bank and I didn't see it for more than a few seconds. I immediately though Peregrine because of the speed but I haven't seen one of these before or a Hen Harrier. There have been local sightings of a male Hen Harrier and looking at pictures when I got back home the colours seem to match what I saw more accurately than other possible birds. I've watched videos online of Hen Harriers but they don't seem to be moving like what I saw. Do Hen Harriers take prey as they fly or is more likely to be another bird?

Whatever it was to be that close was amazing albeit being over in a couple of seconds.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Sounds like a Peregrine to me. The black wingtips of a male harrier are quite obvious and the flight description doesn’t sound right - better suits a falcon or possibly a male Sparrowhawk - given the target prey could have been Lapwing or Meadow Pipits, it’s hard to know which for sure though.

Bluben79

United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. I've spent a bit of time researching online with pictures and videos and though not entirely sure think I saw either a Peregrine or a Sparrowhawk mostly from flight observations and descriptions. I'm going back there tomorrow so maybe I'll be better able to ID if I'm lucky enough to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread