• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Male osprey goes on a rampage at Lyndon Center (1 Viewer)

Spent most of my day here observing the ospreys. The three best moments were seeing an osprey hunt, dive straight into the water, and surface with a captured fish, and of course the moment when an osprey flew directly at me as I was making my way between hides.

But perhaps nothing matches what happened later on in the afternoon. I'm not even sure why it happened, all I can say is based on what I saw a large gull flying over the osprey nest here enraged the male osprey so much that he flew up and attacked the gull so viciously it began squawking loudly and left the area and the male behind very quickly.

But the male wasn't even close to done. Previously both crows and ospreys tolerating each other perfectly without anyone mobbing the other, the osprey then turned around and attacked a crow that was flying around in the region, and chased it towards some trees on the other side of Manton Bay.

But even this did not calm the osprey down. So it stooped and dive-bombed a duck on the surface of the water, and then did the same to another, different duck. Only then did it feel satisfied.
Having bullied everything off its territory, the osprey returned to the nest and spent the next hour perched above the nest whilst his mate was sitting on the eggs. I was surprised Rutland Water did not report this- maybe I was the only witness. A lot of people saw the hunting osprey, however. Hunting was beautiful, but natural.

An osprey going haywire and attacking everything in sight is not typical!!

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Spent most of my day here observing the ospreys. The three best moments were seeing an osprey hunt, dive straight into the water, and surface with a captured fish, and of course the moment when an osprey flew directly at me as I was making my way between hides.

But perhaps nothing matches what happened later on in the afternoon. I'm not even sure why it happened, all I can say is based on what I saw a large gull flying over the osprey nest here enraged the male osprey so much that he flew up and attacked the gull so viciously it began squawking loudly and left the area and the male behind very quickly.

But the male wasn't even close to done. Previously both crows and ospreys tolerating each other perfectly without anyone mobbing the other, the osprey then turned around and attacked a crow that was flying around in the region, and chased it towards some trees on the other side of Manton Bay.

But even this did not calm the osprey down. So it stooped and dive-bombed a duck on the surface of the water, and then did the same to another, different duck. Only then did it feel satisfied.
Having bullied everything off its territory, the osprey returned to the nest and spent the next hour perched above the nest whilst his mate was sitting on the eggs. I was surprised Rutland Water did not report this- maybe I was the only witness. A lot of people saw the hunting osprey, however. Hunting was beautiful, but natural.

An osprey going haywire and attacking everything in sight is not typical!!
A few years ago at Rutland we saw a pair of Ospreys battling a pair of Egyptian Geese that were trying to take over the nest multiple sustained attacks from both Ospreys, with the Geese vacating the nest, then trying to sneak back in, we watched for a good hour and it was unresolved when we left!
One of the pics I got below!
Osprey V Eygptian Goose War.JPG

Cheers Paul

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread