• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Male Reed Bunting Question (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm guessing this is the best part of the board for this type of question. I've attached a clip of a picture I took today and I suspect this must be an issue with camera blurring. Am I right? On the off chance I'm wrong, what would cause the wing to look the way it does? I've had a good look around the internet and seen no such similar example of that washed out wing colour.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• Male Reed Bunting.JPG
    Male Reed Bunting.JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 22

kb57

Europe
Its a very grainy image, which is either due to your camera using a high ISO setting to compensate for poor light (taken in shade?), and / or the reduced image quality when posted to Bird Forum. I think the paler colour is an artefact of this graininess, perhaps emphasised by some paler feathers blowing in the wind, otherwise I don't see anything too unusual for a reed bunting.
Also, you'll notice a lot of your photos of birds won't exactly match book illustrations, due to moult, feather wear etc. Your reed bunting is a good case in point, as it is in transition from winter to breeding plumage, a state that never appears in bird books.

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Its a very grainy image, which is either due to your camera using a high ISO setting to compensate for poor light (taken in shade?), and / or the reduced image quality when posted to Bird Forum. I think the paler colour is an artefact of this graininess, perhaps emphasised by some paler feathers blowing in the wind, otherwise I don't see anything too unusual for a reed bunting.
Also, you'll notice a lot of your photos of birds won't exactly match book illustrations, due to moult, feather wear etc. Your reed bunting is a good case in point, as it is in transition from winter to breeding plumage, a state that never appears in bird books.

Cheers KB57 (y)

Users who are viewing this thread