• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallards in Sweden (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members

I was bird watching in New Zealand and I saw a lot of Mallards, but not many of them were pure. Many many hybrids

Now, yesterday I saw two Mallards in Sweden, the bird on the left side looks like a pure breed.

The right hand side Mallard, is it an hybrid or a male in eclipse plumage. Or maybe a juvenile?

I saw small babies and I saw some juveniles swimming with their mother, almost the same size as the mother.

Any thought about the two males on the picture

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 4-July-2018--Malard-(2).jpg
    4-July-2018--Malard-(2).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 31
Both look like true wild Mallard; the RH bird is more advanced into eclipse which is why it is much scruffier looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back