• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Now two Dotterel at Salobrar this morning. Autumn migration under way with a couple of Honey buzzard through the Island. Rain tomorrow so this may improve things a bit, Mike

September 4th onwards should be perfect! Big numbers of Common swift through again tonight with some Sand martins, Swallows and House martins.

A big storm has arrived today bringing new birds with it. S'Albufera has been very dry so this will help. Now 44 Flamingos at Salobrar but the Dotterel appear to have gone.

Just back from an excellent week based in Puerto Pollenca. Mostly a beach & pool family holiday but managed to get to the usual local sites & did ok for August. At S'Albufera managed to finally nail excellent views of a Moustached Warbler & also had Great Reed, Marbled Duck, Osprey, & a fantastic display by 8 Bee-eaters.
At Albufereta which was quite dry as expected, Black Winged Stilt, Common Sandpiper, Kentish & Little Ringed Plovers, Purple & Night Herons, Cattle & Little Egrets, lots of Woodchat Shrikes, & Hoopoe.
A walk through the Boquer produced Booted Eagle, Eleonoras Falcon, calling Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martin, & Cirl Bunting, but sadly no Balearic Warbler.
Also took a boat trip around Cap Formentor which yielded excellent views of at least a dozen Eleonoras & 2 Corys Shears.

John.

Not Mallorca but...

I have seen the question asked in previous posts about birding in Menorca, I have just got back from a two week stay in Menorca so I thought I would post a few highlights on here.
This was a family holiday with birding restricted to early morning walks (06:30 – 09:00) we stayed at the Son Bou Garden apartments in Son Bou. The main attraction of this resort is the large reed bed that runs the length of the resort in a strip between the apartments and the beach, there is no access to the reed bed but can be viewed from different points around it.
Our apartment overlooked the reed bed and birds seen from our room included Purple Heron, Cattle Egret, Booted Eagle, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Egyptian Vulture, Peregrine Falcon, Bee-eaters, Water Rail (heard), Pallid Swift, Hoopoe, Fan-tailed, Cetti’s and Sardinian Warbler, Nightingale, Scops Owl heard every night with 3 seen on top of the reception building of the apartments, a Nightjar flew down the road in front of our apartment early one evening. There also appeared to be a Night Heron roost in the east of the reed bed opposite the ‘Arena Irish Tavern’ with 1-3 birds seen coming and going most early mornings and evenings with a maximum of 6 adults going to roost one morning.
Each morning I done a walk along a dirt track called Cami de Cavalls (it is shown on Google Earth as Cami de de Cami) this track is accessed near to the Jardin de Menorca hotel in the north west of the resort. It is possible to walk to the nearby resort of Sant Tomas or return to Son Bou in a big loop via the beach, I done the walk back via the beach once as walking in the soft sand was incredibly energy sapping. The walk went through different habits from farmland to scrubby areas; pine woods and gives good views across the reed bed. About half way round, the path crosses a gorge with a small river feeding into the reed bed, it is possible to walk up into this gorge following a small path that runs along the eastern side. This valley was excellent for birds and produced 4 Blue Rock Thrush, many Woodchat Shrikes, Egyptian Vultures, Booted Eagles, Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Peregrine Falcon, Ravens, a group of 6 Hoopoes, large numbers of the common warblers, probable Western Orphean Warbler and Melodious Warbler. This area could be really good in the right conditions in late April / early May. Other birds seen during my walks included Purple Swamphen, Stone Curlews, Green Sandpipers, Audouin’s Gull, 3 Black-headed Gulls, Kingfisher, Tawny Pipit, Northern Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, Spectacled Warbler, Balearic Warbler, churring Nightjar, Crossbills, Corn Buntings, Balearic and Scopoli’s Shearwater
I did visit Mont Torro which produced Alpine Swift and a morning at the Albufera nature reserve at Es Grau which produced many of the common birds and also 7 Ferruginous Duck, Greenshank, Black-winged Stilt, Purple Heron, Wryneck, Redshank and fantastic views of Red Kite and Booted Eagle.
Chris

All being well I will be arriving in Mallorca on Monday afternoon for a 4 week stay, part work and part holiday - though some would say it's all a big holiday!

The forecast looks pretty good, weather-wise, so I'm looking forward to some good birds and moths.

Will post reports as often as is possible.

Martin

Thanks form posting CRWhite, very interesting, amazing that Egyptian vultures seem to thrive in Menorca but there is only one pair here.
Hope to see you Martin, good luck with the moths, I hope you see some interesting species. Mike

All day at s'Albufera today. No new birds but 60 Little ringed plovers, over 40 Spotted redshank, Little stint, Green, Wood and Common sandpipers, 4 Osprey, many Purple swamp hen, Whinchat, Stone curlew, 7 Hoopoe and 6 Woodchat shrike. Mike

Thanks for posting that Chris,
was looking at Menorca (1st week in october) as a change from Mallorca, but had heard conflicting reports about how good/bad the Son Bou reedbeds were for birding.

Hi all, here's my Mallorca highlights from 24th-31st August 2013, hope some will be of interest, any queries please just let me know via www.pittasworld.com/Contact_us.html Nothing too gripping I don't think although the Glossy Ibis are scarce on the island if my info. is correct.

Moustached Warbler- 2 singles seen on separate days at S'Albufera, 1 down the Ses Puntes track to the S of the visitor centre and one on the long straight track N of the centre, the latter in a mini-flock with my only Great Reed Warbler or the week, a Cetti's and two Reed Warblers!

Moltoni's Warbler- after two rain-affected poor visits to Cuber Reservoir the 3rd attempt in decent weather turned up 1-2 birds, both were in the pines between the car park and the dam, towards the dam end in the last 200m stretch of pines.

Balearic Warbler- 2 singles, 1 in the rain in the Bocquer Valley, 1 at Es Calo on the Arta Peninsula, showed well but not for long and always in cover in cool/windy/wet conditions. Knowing the contact call is vital as they are not at all showy in August, at least not in the weather we experienced (often wet and windy).

Slender-billed Gull- 1 ad. winter at Salobrar de Campos 31st

Red-rumped Swallow- 1 fresh juv. at Salobrar de Campos 31st in a mixed hirundine flock (mostly juv. Barn Swallows and juv. House Martins)

Spotless Starling- a flock of 6 at S'Albufera 29th August

Glossy Ibis- a flock of 5 just above my head E of the visitor centre at S'Albufera at 0710am on 29th Aug was a nice surprise, 1 of the same group (?) later on Sa Roca Pool at c0845am.

Little Bittern- 1 juv. flew across the main track c200m W of the English Bridge at S'Albufera

Pied Flycatcher- 1 at Cuber, 2 in the finca garden at S'Albuferata

Eleonora's Falcon- 5 at Cap Formentor, 1 briefly Bocquer Valley

Squacco Heron- 3 total at S'Albufera on two days

Eurasian Scops Owl- 1 heard distantly on our only 2 clear nights (!) from our villa 5.5 kms W of Pollensa on the Soller road, take the left fork when heading west after the 5km marker and cross over the small stone bridge, listening on this road after a further 0.5km.

Greater Flamingo- c50 at Salobrar de Campos

Booted Eagle- 1 at C'an Vincenc

Avocet- c300 at Salobrar de Campos

Audouin's Gull- c8 total

Griffon Vulture- 2 at Cuber

Black Vulture- 6+ at Cuber, 2 at Es Calo

Red Kite- 1 S of Muro

Tawny Pipit- 1 at Cuber

Whinchat- 1 smart juv. at Cuber

Blue Rock Thrush- c 8 total

Wryneck- 1 at Cala Bota, S of Manacor

Sand Martin- 1 at Salobrar de Campos

Snipe- 2 S'Albufera

Nice birds there Chris.

Are you allowed In S'Albufera as early as you were ? When I was over,I was under the Impression that entrance was not allowed until 9am.

Are you allowed In S'Albufera as early as you were ? When I was over,I was under the Impression that entrance was not allowed until 9am.

If you call in to the Visitor Centre the day before you can get a permit for an early entry - you will probably need your passport number.

Great report Chris, thanks. Nothing too gripping?? Slender-billed gull is extremely rare no matter what the books say, I have never seen one and Phil has only ever seen one in 17years. I am going in the morning for a Pectoral sandpiper and will post. Was the Slender-billed seen with Black-headed near the salt works? Thanks, Mike

A big twitch this morning, all three of us, but no sign yet of the Slender-billed gull at Salobrar. A good selection of waders, Grey plover, Curlew sandpiper, Ruff, Sanderling, huge numbers of Avocet and now over 75 Flamingos. Salobrar is the best place to be at the moment, s'Albufera is quieter with less waders so head for the south! Mike

Typical!

I arrive at s´Albufera and all the birds are down south.

Arrived to a steamy 29ºC afternoon and after picking up the car (a Fiat Panda, which to my amazement isn´t that bad for one person) headed up to s´Albufera. After a trip out to the shops for essential supplies I only had time for a quick walk to the old CIM hide (Es Ras?) to be greeted by 5 Stone Curlew, several Purple Gallinule, family groups of Yellow Wagtails (mainly juvs), Ringed and Kentish Plover, Stonechat, Cetti´s, Water Rail, etc.

While setting up the moth trap, had Barn Owls flying around looking very ghostly in the mv light. Also saw what looked like a dead owl on the side of the main road near Es Comu. Will see if it´s there tomorrow to see which species it was.

More reports to come.

Martin

Mike, after meeting you this spring at Depuradora during a successful May visit, am interested in your comments re autumn passage in Oct.....I imagine it is good for passerines then, but is the first or second week a bit late for waders, or are they still coming through? and raptors?.....thanks for any advice, Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back