• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (3 Viewers)

McMinn I can send you an email with the Video I took certainly wasn't jumping.. this may help or change her mind? infact I have now put the video on Youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpFQrud7ejY&feature=youtu.be

Hello

I've been studying the photo and doing some comparisons with photos. I also sent the photo to a good friend with experience with whales and dolphins. She has worked a long time in the area of Mallorca.

We both think its a tail of a Bottle-nosed Dolphin. Position of tail (horizontal), size, colour and shape. It looks like that the dolphin jumped out of the water; a large splash can be observed.

Bottle-nosed Dolphins are easy to observe in coastal waters of the Balearic Islands. Stripped Dolphin is more abundant in the Mediterranean, but its an offshore species, and not easy to observe from the coast.

Its always nice to observe dolphins. Today we observed three in the Marine Reserve of Cabrera.

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
saw a programm on dolphins couple days ago now pretty sure thats what the picture is so thanks for that.

Hello

I've been studying the photo and doing some comparisons with photos. I also sent the photo to a good friend with experience with whales and dolphins. She has worked a long time in the area of Mallorca.

We both think its a tail of a Bottle-nosed Dolphin. Position of tail (horizontal), size, colour and shape. It looks like that the dolphin jumped out of the water; a large splash can be observed.

Bottle-nosed Dolphins are easy to observe in coastal waters of the Balearic Islands. Stripped Dolphin is more abundant in the Mediterranean, but its an offshore species, and not easy to observe from the coast.

Its always nice to observe dolphins. Today we observed three in the Marine Reserve of Cabrera.

Thank you for sharing.

I went to the launch of the annual bird report 2012 last night which was a riot, thank you Maties and Mari Carmen for a great evening. If anyone wants details of the report or copies of their records I can scan them and forward to you. Mike

Thanks to you, Mike, and thanks to your wife too for coming. Not easy this morning to get up early for birding, but great birds were waiting in the south (flamingos, bar tailed godwit, sanderling and much other waders, or some ferrugineous ducks).

Hi folks
Any ideas what species this duck is? It was on the main canal in S'Albufera in August this year. In the distance I initally thought ferruginous duck but when I zoomed in on the photo im not so sure.

Attachments

• copyDSC06763.jpg
    copyDSC06763.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 85
There was a photograph of a Furruginous duck in last year's annual report which turned out to be an escaped duck from south America. For me the head shape, bill and eye all look wrong for Fudgy duck but I will let the experts have a go!

Doesn't look like any fudge duck I've ever seen. hybrid genes must be in play here.

Hi folks
Any ideas what species this duck is? It was on the main canal in S'Albufera in August this year. In the distance I initally thought ferruginous duck but when I zoomed in on the photo im not so sure.

hi guys,
its a rosy billed pochard, and it was me who reported it as a juv fudge duck that ended up in the report, OOPS!.
Steve.

Good start to the week with 2 Barn Owl seen just off Cockerel roundabout at Pollensa, and calling Scops Owl distantly from villa.

Had a juvenile shrike species near the depuadora at Albufera this morning, was very brown underneath as well as on top, and not barred....presume Woodchat is more likely than Red backed here? Experts advice please.

Hi

Yes, I´m pretty certain that Woodchat is the likely species. I´ve personally only ever seen that species but I believe that others are also on the list. I was going to check in A Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca but the copy here has disappearred.

There´s been a regular juvenile in the Tamarix bushes to the left of Cibollar I (the old Bishop I) and an adult regularly perching on a dead branch out to the right from the Sa Roca hide (the old CIM).

I´ve not been out to the hides today (hope to go out later) to see if anything new has turned up (apart from any of the seven Marbled Ducks released recently)
http://ultimahora.es/mallorca/notic...n-sido-liberadas-parque-natural-albufera.html

Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back