• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (5 Viewers)

This morning at the Cap de Ses Salines, 1 Honey buzzard, 2 Marsh harrier but little else. Yesterday was good with a young Black stork, many Honey buzzard, and a Sparrowhawk

Bar t Godwit l stint golden plover g w egret osprey plus the usual at salbufera, water levels way too high at bishops and power station hides, been rising all week without any rain!
Depuadora, bluethroat 2 hoopoes 10 greensands 2 woodsands this evening,
Steve.

Another update,
This morning 7-15 barn owl at depuadora, curlew sands, little stint, pintail, wheatear, osprey purple heron at salbufera, this evening, 2 male little bitterns, 3 g w egrets, g c grebe at Tucan marsh.
Steve.

Another update,
This morning 7-15 barn owl at depuadora, curlew sands, little stint, pintail, wheatear, osprey purple heron at salbufera, this evening, 2 male little bitterns, 3 g w egrets, g c grebe at Tucan marsh.
Steve.

Excuse my Ignorance but where about Is Tucan Marsh ? For my future visits.

Hi Ben,
It's on the alcudia, Puerto alcudia road, the track is right next to lidl on the right hand side.
Brilliant place but not protected so I have been told.
Steve.

Hi Ben,
It's on the alcudia, Puerto alcudia road, the track is right next to lidl on the right hand side.
Brilliant place but not protected so I have been told.
Steve.

Thanks Steve.I missed It this year but shall visit next year.I must have been close to It all the same.

I am back in the UK for two weeks from tomorrow but do hope local and visiting birders can keep the thread going. I will do my best to update where I can. Hope some good rarities turn up for visiting birders!Mike

2 knot briefly at salbufera also little stint garganey wheatear. Depuadora, lapwing 4, corn buntings 3, white wagtail yellow wagtail bluethroat wood sandpaper
Tucan marsh, colour ringed osprey again, caught fish, booted eagle g w egret pochard.
Steve.

Ive never seen Corn Bunting on the Island, are they breeders???

2 knot briefly at salbufera also little stint garganey wheatear. Depuadora, lapwing 4, corn buntings 3, white wagtail yellow wagtail bluethroat wood sandpaper
Tucan marsh, colour ringed osprey again, caught fish, booted eagle g w egret pochard.
Steve.

Yes, Corn buntings are a common resident although there are more here in the south. Look for them on telegraph wires and iisten for their jangling song. They are very vocal in winter and spring but strangely harder to see in the summer months. Good birding all, just off to the airport. Mike

Blimy I must keep more of an eye out in future....
Yes, Corn buntings are a common resident although there are more here in the south. Look for them on telegraph wires and iisten for their jangling song. They are very vocal in winter and spring but strangely harder to see in the summer months. Good birding all, just off to the airport. Mike

Last day of holiday, so went to matrix great views of black vultures hopefully some good photo's, also blue rock thrush lots of song thrush, several redstarts and wheatear.
Then on to Tucan marsh 2 male little biterns, great white egret still present.
Had the last hour at salbufera sa roca hide , garganey, great white egret, colour ringed audouins gull, then low and behold at 7pm a first for me in majorca, a great bittern flew down the left hand side of the hide, seemed to land in the wet area, by dog leg first bridge, maybe worth checking out tomorrow if anyone's about
Steve

Thanks for all your posts Steve. Look forward to the photos. I have never seen Great bittern in Mallorca and neither have lots of regulars. Great sighting. In cold wet UK for two weeks now. Mike

a great bittern flew down the left hand side of the hide, seemed to land in the wet area, by dog leg first bridge, maybe worth checking out tomorrow if anyone's about
Steve

As Mike said, a very good record.

Bittern used to breed but I believe that none have been heard booming there in recent years. In October 2011 there were just two recorded at s'Albufera. I've forwarded your message to the Parc director.

Martin

Last edited:
I've never seen a bittern anywhere in Spain (in over 50 visits to various parts of the mainland and islands since 1995), but the closest I've come was at Albufereta in April 2003 when I heard one booming, apparently on the north east side. There were two great white egrets there at the same time.

Last edited:
Hi

I've heard back from the Director. He saw one a couple of days ago at the Albufereta flying south towards the Albufera, so probably the same bird. It's the first sighting since one last January.

I'm off tomorrow to see if I can see one at my local patch (the London Wetland Centre). One has been seen there twice this week, our earliest to date. The last two years we've had up to 7 wintering.

Martin

I've only seen Bittern twice in 18 years on Mallorca, 4 years ago at the airport and last year in San Jordi (again near the airport). Any more news on that Pallid Harrier sighting? (Steve?)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back