• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

Hey, I know I'm a bit late to this thread but where are the best places to go around Puerto Pollensa in July? Preferably as near as possible as I won't have a car. Although I'm sure there'll be buses :) cheers in advance!

For three years running I have fallen for the 28th December, it being April Fool's Day here. Not today! I got excited over a Barnacle Goose in Sóller but then luckily realised the hoax. Hi Gushawk, I will write tomorrow, Mike

Some brilliant weather patterns for driving winter visitors nearer to Mallorca, what a time to be stuck indoors! I will keep posting all sightings, Mike

All Fool's Day?

For three years running I have fallen for the 28th December, it being April Fool's Day here. Not today! I got excited over a Barnacle Goose in Sóller but then luckily realised the hoax. Hi Gushawk, I will write tomorrow, Mike

Hi Mike
According to the report, the bird was actually a Canada Goose and seems to be a 'real' one, not a prank, as it is also mentioned in the Internet Bird Club (unless they too were fooled). One had also been seen and photographed there in May 2013.
All the best
Martin

Thanks Martin. Typical that I chase around for the last three years after hoaxes then some genuine news emerges on Fool's Day. I will look into it. Mike

Hi Gushawk, July can be a good month to be on the Island, not the best month but still plenty to see. You are in the right place near all the reserves. At Albufera you will be able to see all the Egrets, Cattle, Little and probably Great white too. Purple and Squacco herons, Great reed, Moustached and Fan-tailed warblers. Breeding Bee-eaters will have moved away from their nests but will still be around. Not the best month for waders but expect Kentish and Little ringed plovers, Black-winged stilts. There will be loads of Marsh harriers and Booted eagles. At Son Real there should be Dartford and Balearic warblers. A trip to Cúber reservoir may produce Griffon and Black vultures, Moltoni's and possible Spectacled warblers and the outside chance of Rock thrush. Shearwaters are possible from the coast, Slender-billed gulls, Audouin's gulls too. Common and Pallid swift, Alpine swift too. Eleanora's falcons are quite plentiful and are great fun to watch as they perform their magnificent aerobatics. It hopefully will be a lot of fun for you, let me know if you need other species, there are many I haven't mentioned, Scop's owl. Woodchat shrike are not hard to see, Thekla lark too. Mike

Of all the birds you have mentioned, I have seen three! So I'm more than looking forward to Majorca now! Thank you so much :) I'll be looking out for the Majorca 2015 thread ;)

Pep won the Big Year, thoroughly deserved too. The locals are great company and have been very good to me, thanks guys. I look forward to another great year in Mallorca, it's a very exciting place to be with new discoveries being made all the time. Good luck and good birding to anyone coming to the Island. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back