• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

sparrowhawk

Hi Mike,

Just seen what looks like a Sparrowhawk flying around Port de Pollensa

Are they common here at this time of the year?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike
I've just had a look through four years of records in the Anuari Ornit. and didn't find any citations of Sparrowhawk between the months of May and September - but things might have changed in the last two years. It's a bird I've only seen there once, up in the Tramuntana, while setting up a moth trap.
Martin

Sparrowhawk

Hi Mike
I've just had a look through four years of records in the Anuari Ornit. and didn't find any citations of Sparrowhawk between the months of May and September - but things might have changed in the last two years. It's a bird I've only seen there once, up in the Tramuntana, while setting up a moth trap.
Martin

Thanks Martin

The flight pattern was identical to Sparrowhawk

Maybe an Eleonoras flying through

Thanks again

Black Vulture

14.50 a Black Vulture flew over Port de Pollensa flying South.

Amazing!

I have to increase my medication or drink less!

Home tomorrow. I'll put up a few pics once I get them sorted out.

A good break, and 'interesting' weather, especially the three hour storm on Tuesday that shut down our internet and kept me captive at Sa Roca while the water level rose in front of me by over two inches. The captivity came in handy. Great views of marbled ducks and great white egret.

A morning spent at Formentor around about 16th June gave good views of Eleonora Falcon,one of which was being mobbed by Crag Martins, also lots of Balearic Warbler and proper Swifts that still breed in the cliffs, what a daunting task that must be for the young Swifts to take their first leap on fledging.
Also plenty of Audouins Gull about and a Blue Rock Thrush song could be heard all over.
Lots of work going on as I passed Casa Velles with trees coming down and loads of fence posts being stacked up, looks like they maybe going to plant olive trees or the likes.

Bob

Attachments

• b-warb.jpg
    b-warb.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 91
  • crag-no-liki.jpg
    crag-no-liki.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 91
  • elenora.JPG
    elenora.JPG
    531.7 KB · Views: 78
  • swift-(2).jpg
    swift-(2).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 62
  • tryit.jpg
    tryit.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 86
Great pics Bob.
I think it's been mentioned before that they will be planting a vineyard. Shame about the loss of trees, though.
Martin

A quick post on the birds I saw on my tiny outings w/b 7 June. Raven, siskin, spotted flycatchers, sardinian warbler, hoopoe, blue rockthrush, stonechat, redlegged partridge. Plus a pair of probable crossbills (on the path up from Port d'Anratx to the hills), and in the Val de Boquer something which could have been either a dartford or a marmora's warbler. Probably the latter. Or a Ballearic warbler!

Great pics Bob.
I think it's been mentioned before that they will be planting a vineyard. Shame about the loss of trees, though.
Martin

Thanks Martin,vineyard at Casa Velles sounds good ,better that than hotels or Posh villas I suppose,BTW I was well impressed with the newly surfaced road down to Formentor plus the new wooden crash barriers along the whole stretch of road,great idea as it fits in with the surrounds much nicer than a bare steel one would have,hats off again to the powers that be.

Bob

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

Black Redstart Tucan, Audouines Pollenca,
Black Kite And Booted Eagle The Tower.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_3168 (662x473).jpg
    IMG_3168 (662x473).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3183 (800x573).jpg
    IMG_3183 (800x573).jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3194 (428x305).jpg
    IMG_3194 (428x305).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3201 (800x573).jpg
    IMG_3201 (800x573).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 61
Arrived in Camp de Mar about 90 minutes ago, not sure I will get much birding in but I can hear a Scops owl from my bed. It is somewhere in the trees between the golf course and the coast. That may have to be a late night mission if I can find a torch!?!

Also sounds like there are Stone Curlew about and what could be frogs.

Paul

Edit: and woken up Monday morning, sat out on our balcony to watch the building work on what used to be scrub we could hear something singing. Grabbed my bins to identify what was my first blue rock thrush on top of the nearest building

Last edited:
A great morning at Salobrar de Campos with Philip. 2 Little tern (rare here) 5 Gull-billed tern, 3 Red-footed falcons (late) and the star bird, an adult Egyptian vulture (very rare). What a day. Mike

Just because this thread's about Mallorca - and they are some unusual sighting that might be otherwise missed, have a look at Barred Wobbler's posting here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3236973#post3236973
and some fantastic photos here by some of the local birders on a trip out from Cala Figuera:
http://www.gobmallorca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=16785#p16785
Enjoy!
Martin

Hi Martin

Do you have any contact details for the trips out? I will be over in late July for two weeks and love to give it a go.

Regards
Dave

Hi Martin

Do you have any contact details for the trips out? I will be over in late July for two weeks and love to give it a go.

Regards
Dave
Hi Dave
I don't I'm afraid. The one I mentioned (I think) was a local birders trip. There have been others that I think Mike posted something on earlier in this thread.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Dave, yes, the last trip was a private one but Miguel has organised outings before so I will ask him what further trips are planned and let you know. Mike

Common swift have been screaming around every village on the Island every evening in their thousands but all has fallen silent today. Always a sad day when they leave. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back