• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Phil had a good day at s'Albufera today, nothing too unusual but his day started with a splendid male Hen Harrier at the Depuradora. One Garganey was the best bird on the main reserve but also Moustached Warbler, two Kingfisher, four Snipe, all common waders were present, one Red-rumpled Swallow, marbled duck and an Osprey. He also saw six Red-rumpled Swallows at Golf II, Santa Ponsa a couple of days ago. Mike

A group of six Mediterranean gulls at Cala Gamba is the only news so far today. The weather has turned with strong northerly winds from the Tramuntana which will hold up migration for a while. Mike

A couple of Black kite through today despite the strong northerlies. Also a Razorbill, no doubt sheltering from the stormy seas and Mediterranean gulls around the south coast. A few Yellow wagtails also in. Mike

The small reservoir at Bassa de can Guidet is still performing well with lots of Black-necked grebe, some coming into summer plumage, and all the hirundines, House, Sand and Crag martin and Barn and Red-rumped swallow. There seem to be more Red-rumped swallows this year with many sightings all over the Island, I have seen quite a few in my local area. Mike

The small reservoir at Bassa de can Guidet is still performing well with lots of Black-necked grebe, some coming into summer plumage, and all the hirundines, House, Sand and Crag martin and Barn and Red-rumped swallow. There seem to be more Red-rumped swallows this year with many sightings all over the Island, I have seen quite a few in my local area. Mike

Great site..Mike it would be great to have better access, tower etc. There is a building along side the reservoir that is used as a "culture" centre, but I am not sure if access is allowed.

Any suggestions

Cheers

Mike

Perhaps one of the locals could help but I know Philip always knocks on the door first to ask for entry and he has never been refused. I think it is only right to ask permission rather than just walking in. It is a fantastic site with so many good records, there always seems to be something interesting there. Mike

Phil recorded two Common Swift (apus apus) yesterday in off the sea, the first migrants of this species that I have heard about this year. A few more Black Kite through here today. Mike

A nice morning spent at Cap de Ses Salines with Phil. Three Whimbrel flew west, lots of Balearic and Scopoli's shearwaters, Balearic warbler in the scrub, good views of a Wryneck and Thekla lark. No migrants though. House Martins nest building in Ses Salines on the way to Colonia Sant Jordi. At the salt pans we saw a Dunlin, nine Little Stints, Booted Eagle and Ringed Plover. Mike

Salobrar de Campos. 174 Avocets, at last, 25 Garganey, Wood sandpiper, Temminck's stint, Golden and Grey plover, Sanderling and three Spanish wagtails. Thanks Phil. Mike

Last edited:
A freezing cold day spent at Cuber Reservoir produced very few birds. Most of the large numbers of mixed thrushes that were there a few days ago have departed. One Alpine Accentor was seen above the quarry, 8 Water Pipits, many Black Vultures, 7 Griffon Vultures, one adult Bonelli's Eagle and a few Crag Martins and migrating Barn Swallows. A good day despite the cold. The Bonelli's was the star bird, I have never seen an adult here before, it appeared much darker than I expected but it was a dull old day. The white patch on the nape is very obvious when the bird wheels around so a good learning experience.Mike

An unseasonal Gull-billed Tern has been seen at Albufera, the first Nightingale has been heard. Lots more to come over the following weeks. Mike

Now is the time to be on the east coast late afternoon for the passage of Shearwaters, sometimes in huge numbers, Great Skua, Yelkoan Shearwater, Gannet and in a few weeks, Storm Petrels whizzing past like bullets. Porto Colom is good as is Punta de n'Amer. Mike

Quite a few Common Swift this evening in Porto Petro, always a great day when they return. I spent a miserable couple of hours in the cold wind at Porto Colom this afternoon. Lots of Balearic Shearwaters but not much else. However, the coming weekend is looking pretty good with the wind hopefully swinging round to southerlies. That should improve things at the tower, Albercutx. Mike

I have been studying photos of Bonelli's Eagle having seen what I thought was an adult at Cuber last Friday. It may have been a sub-adult, it was very dark with a highly visible white patch on the back just below the nape. Like many raptors, Bonelli's seem to be very variable. It has been an interesting exercise and important because it would be helpful for anyone seeing these fine Eagles to report the details including the age of the bird where possible. Sightings can be put on this forum and the details will be sent to the project. Many thanks, Mike

Just back after spending last week on the island. We saw the Alpine Accentor at d'Albercutx on Weds 16th around 11.00am. It flew down from the tower and sat on the turning circle about 10 ft away-got some great snaps. When we went back to the car further down past the blockhouses, it flew down to us again and sat on the wall about 4 ft away, preened, had a quick nap, then hopped about. Got brilliant pics. Amazing birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back