• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hi Rach. A single Slender-billed gull was seen and very well photographed by Kristina in Alcudia Bay. There is a possibility that your bird was the same one, they are seen at this time of the year around the reserves. Hope this helps and that you will be able to confirm this with your photo. Mike

Hi Rach- The Scops was at the Pollensa Park when I was there from 26/3 until 9/4, usually showing from 2030 in the trees in the garden near the back lane, although it did spend some time on the seafront in a large pine in the grounds of the villa between the Uyal and Pollentia Hotels. It was also visiting the usual vent - top right at the back of the Pollentia. However, that was over 3 weeks ago now,and it might have changed the routine, especially as dusk will now be later. HTH- Hugh

Hi Rach. A single Slender-billed gull was seen and very well photographed by Kristina in Alcudia Bay. There is a possibility that your bird was the same one, they are seen at this time of the year around the reserves. Hope this helps and that you will be able to confirm this with your photo. Mike

Thanks Mike.

I've had a look at those photos but that was a full adult and mine wasn't. I'll attach my very bad phone-scoped photo for suggestions but it really isn't great or 100% clear.

Thanks, Rach

Attachments

• 20160501_123245-1-1.jpg
    20160501_123245-1-1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 141
Hi Rach- The Scops was at the Pollensa Park when I was there from 26/3 until 9/4, usually showing from 2030 in the trees in the garden near the back lane, although it did spend some time on the seafront in a large pine in the grounds of the villa between the Uyal and Pollentia Hotels. It was also visiting the usual vent - top right at the back of the Pollentia. However, that was over 3 weeks ago now,and it might have changed the routine, especially as dusk will now be later. HTH- Hugh

Thanks Hugh, we may give it a go tomorrow night.

Rach

Thanks Hugh, we may give it a go tomorrow night.

Rach

A couple told me last week that they heard the Scops Owl more less at the same place. And also there were some people looking for it with flashlights.
I hope that this doesn't disturb it.

Regards,
Cristina.

A few more shots from my Mallorca trip, another one of the Pine Marten, I've seen large traps at S'albufera, do they trap & kill these Martens? Gull-billed Tern & a Red-rumped Swallow.

@Rach, that looks like a young Black-headed Gull.

Attachments

• 7D2_4363 b 900.jpg
    7D2_4363 b 900.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 7D2_5517 b 900.jpg
    7D2_5517 b 900.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 7D2_2991 b 900.jpg
    7D2_2991 b 900.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
A few more shots from my Mallorca trip, another one of the Pine Marten, I've seen large traps at S'albufera, do they trap & kill these Martens?

Hi Joe
I don't believe so. Where have you seen the traps and what do they look like. Do you have any photos?
Are they on the banks of the canals and near the water?
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
C'an Curassa once again…

I decided once again to have a bash around this area and am so glad I did!
Walking along the shoreline from PdP, I unfortunately managed to put up a pair of Kentish Plovers, which I hadn't noticed. It's a busy road and area, with plenty of fishermen, but do they breed here?
At the restaurant 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Pied Fly plus, once again, tremendous views here of both Cetti's & Nightingale. A Yellow Wag (Ibearie) on the track and a flypast of a Spotless Starling were next up. I met a couple and (as I do!) started chatting, with another birder passing us back down the track. After a while the couple also headed back, then a few minutes later a shout...'Roller!' The lone birder had located it on a wire. Great views of it swooping down then back up on to the wire. Best location I can give is, walking inland on the long dusty track, take the first track off to the left, 250m (Reservi de Fauna?) then look straight out from there to telegraph wires above palm trees. Bird showed well all the time I was there. Excellent! I walked back up to the first villa (at far end of track) and had a great line up of species on the fence at one point, Sp Fly, Woodchat Shrike, Short-toed Lark and Stonechat! As well as a large party of Goldfinches. Also here were a few Swallowtail butterflies. Also seen from here were Marsh Harrier and an Osprey in off the sea. I then walked back to PdP along the road but turned left at signpost for Cami de Ca Volantinna, walking up this road brought more Nightingales and Cetti's, then after a couple of bends a few fig groves appeared on the left with 2 Thekla Larks in the first field and Corn Bunting and a Whinchat in the second. 2 cracking male Pied Flys were seen near the junction with the road back to PdP. Nearing the roundabout at the bypass I stopped to scan the hills to the left and had a flock (!) of 25 Ravens above the ridge, as well as a fine Booted Eagle. I then picked up a Peregrine circling, then stooping and whacking into a feral pigeon, before carrying it over to the ledges to eat. Another great sighting on another great day here.
Brilliant. Thanks again to the folks I met today for chat and info.
Later this eve I'm going to listen for Scops Owl at the Pollença Park Hotel, I've not heard them yet but it has been quite noisy here in late evening.
Fingers crossed!
Malcolm

Just had a flock of about 30 Bee-eaters hawking and flying over the field next to the boquer car park. Amazingly close flybys as were were under a tree. Typically didn't have my camera with me.

Hi Malcolm I was one of the couple and after we left you we decided to go up to cuba reservior and was quite shocked at the level of the water it was at least 20ft lower than last year and very quiet, l did not see a vulture but when we headed back to PdP at the next viewing point there was vultures everywhere l counted at least 12 in the air at once black and griffin, and to finish off the display we had a black stork fly bye a great end to our holiday

Roller

I decided once again to have a bash around this area and am so glad I did!
Walking along the shoreline from PdP, I unfortunately managed to put up a pair of Kentish Plovers, which I hadn't noticed. It's a busy road and area, with plenty of fishermen, but do they breed here?
At the restaurant 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Pied Fly plus, once again, tremendous views here of both Cetti's & Nightingale. A Yellow Wag (Ibearie) on the track and a flypast of a Spotless Starling were next up. I met a couple and (as I do!) started chatting, with another birder passing us back down the track. After a while the couple also headed back, then a few minutes later a shout...'Roller!' The lone birder had located it on a wire. Great views of it swooping down then back up on to the wire. Best location I can give is, walking inland on the long dusty track, take the first track off to the left, 250m (Reservi de Fauna?) then look straight out from there to telegraph wires above palm trees. Bird showed well all the time I was there. Excellent! I walked back up to the first villa (at far end of track) and had a great line up of species on the fence at one point, Sp Fly, Woodchat Shrike, Short-toed Lark and Stonechat! As well as a large party of Goldfinches. Also here were a few Swallowtail butterflies. Also seen from here were Marsh Harrier and an Osprey in off the sea. I then walked back to PdP along the road but turned left at signpost for Cami de Ca Volantinna, walking up this road brought more Nightingales and Cetti's, then after a couple of bends a few fig groves appeared on the left with 2 Thekla Larks in the first field and Corn Bunting and a Whinchat in the second. 2 cracking male Pied Flys were seen near the junction with the road back to PdP. Nearing the roundabout at the bypass I stopped to scan the hills to the left and had a flock (!) of 25 Ravens above the ridge, as well as a fine Booted Eagle. I then picked up a Peregrine circling, then stooping and whacking into a feral pigeon, before carrying it over to the ledges to eat. Another great sighting on another great day here.
Brilliant. Thanks again to the folks I met today for chat and info.
Later this eve I'm going to listen for Scops Owl at the Pollença Park Hotel, I've not heard them yet but it has been quite noisy here in late evening.
Fingers crossed!
Malcolm

Nice one Malcolm

I was looking for the Roller around 13 to 14.00 today.

Dipped again

Nice flock of 25 bee eaters passed over as compensation

Nightingales, Cetti, swallows were amazing today.

Several linnets, greenfinches, sonechats and goldfinches plus ususal warblers

Mike

S'Albufera

A good trip to the Park

Birds seen included:

- Moustached Warbler
- Night Herons
- Purple Herons
- Little Bittern reported
- Great Reed Warbler(many singing)
- Reed Warbler
- Avocets (3)
- Little Ringed and Kentish Plover
- Ospreys (2)
- Marbled Duck
- Stone Curlews(4 on nest)
- Purple Swamp Hen
- Red Knobbed Coot
- Marsh Harriers (4)
- Tree Sparrows
- Cattle, Little and Great White Egrets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 63
Mystery bird

Mike,

Have Balearic or Dartford Warblers been seen in Albufera (near information centre)

The habitat seems wrong though possible fly through

Sorry was a very bad photo

Warm brown, red eye

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 123
I came back from Mallorca the end of last week after a fantastic visit to favourite and new areas ,I was hoping to find some Orchids but most had gone over despite this being an earlier visit.

Roller
Whiskered Tern
Collared Pratincole
Woodchat Shrike
possible Pallid Harrier on the 16th Son Bosc
and a huge support cast of fantastic birds ,but oddly the highlight for me was a late afternoon visit to S'Albufera from the Sa Roca hide a flock of c130 Wood Sandpiper, about 80 took off and I counted the remainder at 50 it was a night of heavy rain and only one found the next day , a sight I shall not forget .
planning two visits next year would like to see these Giant Orchids .

Attachments

• IMG_4890.JPG
    IMG_4890.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5247.JPG
    IMG_5247.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5317.JPG
    IMG_5317.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5324.JPG
    IMG_5324.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 94
A few more from Mallorca, found about 8 species of Orchid , but many had gone over and remained unidentified , some had even flowered and gone over during my visit , can't wait to get back next year .

Attachments

• IMG_5363.JPG
    IMG_5363.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5623.JPG
    IMG_5623.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6455.JPG
    IMG_6455.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6855.JPG
    IMG_6855.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 94
Another great 10 nights in Majorca from 16 April, weather a bit on the chilly side especially come evening time but birdlife did not disappoint.
Most of my birding was done around Pollenca,Boquer,Albuferta & Albufera with one trip to Son Real, all mainly done from first light up until mid morning.
Migrant wise the highlights being Golden Oriole through Can Cuarassa on the 20th being pursued by a Kestrel and a Roller on the wires at the same place on the evening of the 23rd.The odd Redstart, Whinchat and Pied Flycatcher were seen at most locations over my stay and four Wood Sandpiper at Can Cuarassa Ponds on 19th.
Sighting of my trip came on the the 17th when a Black Vulture soared along the Puerto Pollenca beach road at rooftop height 1pm,i did not even raise my bins to my eyes and just watched in awe along with some of the workmen who were constructing the new pavements as it slowly drifted south.
One hour spent down at the Son Real water hole hide rewarded me with a foraging group of about 10 Crossbill and a Bonelli,s Warbler which was darting down to drink now and again along with some Serin.
Did not bother to drive the Cubar or Formentor roads as lots and lots of pushbikes about so saved myself the stress,an evening at a friends rented Villa at about the 2km mark on the Ma10 did produce plenty of Black Vulture, one Griffon a few Booted Eagle and one Red Kite so that sufficed.
A pair of Wryneck were present on the two occasions that I visited the Boquer,they seemed to like the ship shaped garden on the left just after the metal gate also a pair of Cirl Buntings were feeding on the Finca Terrace both times too.
Balearic Warblers were in the usual spot level with the eye in the cliff formation to the left and Whinchat feeding off to the left too as I walked the valley.
Had a quick visit to La Gola one morning to see the reopened Visitors Centre and had a brief chat with the charming Cristina, many more birders in there than I have ever seen before too so that's got to be a good thing.
Checked out the impressive new wooden viewpoint at Albufereta and saw about 6 Flamingo, two Osprey GW Egret, Purple Heron etc., seems like a very nice place to spend a few hours with a scope on a sunny morning.
About five visits to S,Albefera produced the usual birds with great views of Little Bittern again and my best views yet of Cetti Warbler which were displaying around my feet by the three stone bridges one morning, looked closely for the Penduline Tits but no luck there, did get nice but brief views of Moustached Warbler by first stone bridge though.
A Woodchat Shrike was always present between the visitors centre and the Sa Roca hide on every visit I made too, plus two very confiding Stone Curlew in that area.
A morning visit to Son Bosc on 18th gave me distant views of about 30 Bee Eaters but an hour spent at Depuradora viewing platform did not produce much apart from a couple of Marbled Duck and Common Terns in among the usual birds of these parts.
Fantastic time had again on the island,I would have liked to have given out a few live updates but coms at the place I was staying were non existent and I did not bother humping out my laptop on this occasion.
Good birding to all those on Majorca now and to all those who have yet to visit ,plus all of those lucky local residents.
I will attach a few photos I managed to get on my recent visit plus more when I get a minute to sort through them.

Thanks And Good Birding

Bob Freeman

Attachments

• bwb.jpg
    bwb.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 106
  • bwb2.jpg
    bwb2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 92
  • cwb.jpg
    cwb.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 103
  • wryb.jpg
    wryb.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the fantastic news and great photos.
I have not heard of Balearic or Dartford warblers on the main reserve but I will ask tomorrow when I am there.
Brian, great photo of the Egyptian vulture, where was that seen? They are very scarce.
A female Red-backed shrike has been seen today at Can Curassa. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back