• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hi D0c, thanks for posting, a great list and some good birds there, especially as some were new to you.
I agree with Pep, it is most unlikely that you saw Yellowhammer, (unless you have a photo of course!).
As Pep says, some Cirl Buntings, which are common, do show a lot of yellow at this time of the year.
Many thanks again, Mike

Hi Stew. Thanks for all your posts. The Siskins are interesting, much later than normally recorded as has been mentioned earlier. I wonder if there is any evidence of breeding. There was quite an invasion of this species during the winter so obviously some have lingered.
Safe trip home and we look forward to seeing you again in September. Mike

Thanks Mike. As ever, other people's forum posts help a lot both before and during visits so I like to return the favour. I'll put together some notes and photos shortly.

The siskins seemed to be having an early-morning preen when I picked them up on call. The female was buried in dense cover, with the male slightly more visible. They only made the occasional contact call, rather than song, and as they weren't very near anything that looked like breeding habitat I wonder if they were moving non-breeders. Who knows!?

Stew

Hi Folks

Regarding the Yellowhammer I saw it on 09.05.16 at Albuferata. I have seen many here in England but it could have been a very yellow Cirl Bunting, I cannot really remember. I have no proof as I don't have a camera but my son saw it as well and he also said yellowhammer.

If a family stayed in Puerto Pollenca, but don't have a car, is the S'albufera a good bird watching destination easily reached by bus?

yes it is easily reached by bus and is well worth a visit, its a few years since we stayed in Puerto Pollensa so im not sure how long it takes but the bus stops close to the main entrance to the park

If a family stayed in Puerto Pollenca, but don't have a car, is the S'albufera a good bird watching destination easily reached by bus?

I stay In PP every year and don't drive but S'Albufera can be reached easily by bus.It takes the bus about 30-40 minutes to get there and the buses are regular.Well worth It and the bus drops you opposite the Reserve Entrance.Ca'nt remember the bus number but It's the one that goes to C'an Picafort.

Hello Ratal,

It's really easy to get to on the bus. From PP it takes about half an hour depending on the bus driver. I can't remember the exact cost but it was less than €2 one way. This is the link to the timetable http://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/352
Have a great time

Rach

Last edited:
I believe you can use the same bus to visit s'Albufereta and Can Cuarassa as it goes along the coast road.
Both well worth visiting.
Martin

Hi Rach, (and others) thanks, very helpful, I am not very good with busses.
Not much news today, migration has really slowed. A few raptors yet to come I hope but only a couple of sightings of Red-footed Falcons this year so far, very disappointing bearing in mind last years invasion. No Short-toed Eagles either, in some years there are a handful.
I read that it was really cold at the tower this morning, hard to imagine as it was sweltering here in the south. Mike

Did S'Albufera from PP by bus, took 50 minutes due to stopping everywhere from Alcudia to the reserve and cost €3. We had hoped for an early start but the first bus does not leave PP till 0845 so it was nearly 10.00 before we walked in to the information centre at he Reserve.

I got a Taxi from PPollensa this year 22 euros and it means you can be there before 8.30am as the taxis start at 8am.

cheers Nick

That's good, what road is the restaurant on?

I am arriving on Sunday for ten nights and my two targets are Scops Owl and Moltoni's Warbler.

Hello!
As far I know, for Moltoni's Warbler, nearest place is at Cúber Reservoire, where they nest.

Last edited:
Thank you Cristina as always, very helpful.
I was not part of the original map so there are some new sightings.
Both Michael Schade and I have seen Blue Tit in Parc Mondrago so there are perhaps more in the south than previously thought.
I also had a Long-tailed Tit in my garden here in Porto Petro for the whole winter many years ago.
Yesterday I saw a Pine Marten in Parc Mondrago for the first time ever. Mike

Hello!
As far I know, for Moltoni's Warbler, nearest place is at Cúber Reservoire, where they nest.

Thank you. I gather they are best seen in the scrub on the left hand side of the reservoir after leaving the car park. Hope to get there next day or so.

Keep on listening out for scops owl, no luck so far .

The villa I rented was between Porto de Pollensa and Pollensa at a place called Cami de Can Sieguinot and every night somewhere very close to the villa we had a Scops Owl calling.

Thank you. I gather they are best seen in the scrub on the left hand side of the reservoir after leaving the car park. Hope to get there next day or so.

I saw a male at Cuber last Wednesday (18th) singing from wires and bushes by the last "pylon" on the left before the dam. I also had a female grubbing around in the scrub behind the "bothy" type building where the paths meet.

Stew

Peurto Pollensa - What Might I See?

I'm there at the end of June for a week and am interested to know what birds I might see. I won't have transport. I'm more interested in the stuff that's uncommon in Britain. I think I've seen reports of Scops Owl amongst the hotels so am hopeful there may be some good stuff.

Are the marshes an option on foot? I've heard there's one that can be done.

Also, are there any half day birding trips that any local birders run to show tourists a bit of stuff? Would love to see Black Vulture and some other mountain species.

Thanks for any help and info.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back