• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

I think we can forget everything that has been said about August in Mallorca being a very quiet month. To recap, a first for the Balearics was found at Salobrar, a Broad-billed sandpiper, then a fifth for the Islands was discovered at Maristany, a young Citrine wagtail.
There have also been sightings of three Rollers, quite a few Dotterel, Montagu's harrier, Slender-billed gull, several Black kite, groups of Bee-eaters, Alpine swift, Melodious warbler and an untra rare Orphean warbler.
I guess there are less birders out in the field as it is very hot so sightings in the past have been few.
From now on I'm sure it's a month that will be taken much more seriously.
Good birding to all visitors! Mike

La Gola is definitely the hot-spot of the Island at the moment, I will leave it to Lupe to post here, they have worked so hard to further the interest in birding in Mallorca. Mike

Hello,

The sighting yesterday of Orphean warbler it’s not good. It’s was a false alam. Sorry, it’s my fault. But the red footed falcon (Falco vespertinus) was arround, and 4 green sindpiper (Tringa ochropus) and 3 tree pipit (Anthus trivialis) and a Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) was fishing alot of time. Photos in La Gola Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Centre-de-turisme-ornitològic-de-la-Gola-126115184103029/?fref=ts

Lupe Suárez

I visited la gola but didn't see orphean warbler. I did see a group of four green sandpipers on the little stream on approach to s'albufereta tower. Also ferruginous duck at Tucan marsh.

Not to worry Lupe, I have made quite a few howlers myself, it's all part of birding.
There have still been some fantastic birds at La Gola recently so thank you very much for keeping us all up to date, much appreciated. Mike

Thank you very much for your words Mike.
This species (Western Orphean Warbler (Sylvia hortensis)) is considered rare in the Balearic Islands.Therefore, it is subject to evaluation by the rareties committee. They have conveyed the message that have doubts about this sighting. I filled the file and I’ll send more photos.

List of rareties: http://rareresesornibalears.blogspot.com.es/p/blog-page_21.html
File: http://rareresesornibalears.blogspot.com.es/p/fitxes-per-notificar-una-raresa.html

Lupe

Spent last week on edge of S'Albufera. Goodo numbers of Bee-eater passing through, Little Bittern showing daily. Today at least 11 Marsh Harrier in pre roost. This evening a superb Barn Owl and better still two Skops Owl on the lane to our accommodation.

A very good day spent in the south with Lalo and Phil.
Firstly at the Cap de Ses Salines, a few shearwaters towards Cabrera, both Scopoli's and Mediterranean, then some migration of Marsh harrier, ten in total, two Black kite, two groups of Bee-eaters, heard but not seen and many small groups of Barn swallow. On the approach road, lots of Turtle dove and Hoopoe. Lalo glimpsed a Roller passing through and there were two Eleanora's Falcons.
We called at the roundabout where the two Rollers have been seen every day for a couple of weeks but sadly they have moved on.
On to the salt pans and a surprise of a Lesser-black backed gull and a Temmininck's stint.
On to Salobrar de Campos which was flaming hot but we were rewarded with four Wood sandpipers, super-close views of Flamingoes, one Temmininck's stint and some Ruff. Lots of fun and laughter, some serious discussion which can get a bit heated here but all in the best of spirits. It really is too hot for all day birding at the moment. It will cool down soon. Mike

Hi everyone, here are my sightings. They are a bit out of date:
Cap de formentor:
A spectacular male Blue Rock Thrush and several Eleonora's Falcons.* One did a short dive very close to me and it reached it's talons out to grab an insect. It was amazing! I also spotted another warbler type bird - I think Balearic. I got a decent photo so I will upload it when I go home.

Albufera:
The highlights included : Several excellent views of Purple Swamphen (very strange and beautiful birds!), Black-Winged Stilt, Red-Knobbed Coot, fighting Juv. Little Egrets, sleepy Curlews, an Osprey perched close to the hide that at one point flew very low over us - the best views of an Osprey I've ever seen. A Common Kestrel wheeling low over the hide, and lots of Serins.

Unfortunately we didn't stay that long at Albufera because of a number of reasons. However, if we visit the island again we will definetly spend more time there. Nethertheless, it was very nice to visit and the birds were amazing. Driving around the island, I have also seen lots of Booted Eagles, massive flocks of Little Egrets and a Hoopoe.

Happy Birding :)

_TheBirdNerd_

We also went on a boat trip today (not specifically for birding though). I was hoping for Shearwaters but unfortunatly I didn't see one. But I did see Yellow Legged, Audouin's and Lesser Black-Backed Gulls. We also saw a few Shags, and I think one that we saw close up was a first year bird of the desmarestii sub-species. I also saw Willow and Sardinian Warblers and a Hoopoe.
We will be leaving on Sunday :( But I will hopefully be able to squeeze in a bit of birding. We don't have the hire car anymore so it will just be around Cala d'or.

Happy birding :)
_TheBirdNerd_

Last edited:
Balearic Bird Report

Hello,
We already have the digital Balearic Bird Report (english version of Anuari Ornitològic de les Balears) 2015.
If you want it, send an email to [email protected] and we will send it to you.
The price is 5 Euros, we will aim on a list and you pay us when you visit us.

Regards,
Lupe

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back