• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

A dull and breezy day kept me on the balcony reading until after lunch. I finally got out and went to Maristany (Tucan Marsh), where water had returned and with it a variety of waders. Difficult to count among the lumps and bumps but I estimated 10+ common sands, 15+ little ringed plovers, 4+ green sands and a greenshank. Swallows were moving through, and quite a few sand martins were with them.

I stopped at the pool near the radar sign on the road to Ca'n Picafort, where there were three flamingos, and two ringed plovers flew across (wing-bars).

I disturbed 4 hoopoes on the track to the Depuradora de S'Illot. On the pools things were quiet - but 8+ green sands, 2 common sands and 2 wood sands were present. 3 pochard were on the floating platforms and a whinchat was on the fence.

I called at the southern end of the Cami des Polls for more views of common waxbills. I had to scope across a field from the road, but picked up three in reeds near the bridge.

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_7299.jpg
    IMG_7299.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 60
I've been to Mallorca many times over many years, but have never visited the Ternelles valley. At one time it was one of the most visited Tramuntana birding sites, but for some years now gaining access has been difficult to say the least. So this morning I was pleased to join a small group of birders led by Pere from Mallorca Natural Tours on a walk through this spectacular site. After Pere had presented our permit at the security building we were allowed through the gates and into an estate of small agricultural fields, pine and Holme oak woodland, and rocky mountainsides.

Raptors were overhead from the beginning. It is hard to know how many we saw, but we had groups of up to seven griffons and up to four black vultures. We had 11 vultures soaring together (four black, seven griffons), but also numerous fly-overs of singles and small groups of both species. Towards the further end of our walk we started seeing booted eagles. Again, counting was difficult, but we had two dark morph together and two pale morphs together, and with flyovers we probably had at least six individuals. Raptors were completed with an Eleanora's falcon and a kestrel perched on the high crags.

In the woodland we had firecrests, spotted and pied flycatchers, serins, redstart and at least three singing crossbills.

On the high fields a group of Cirl buntings flew into some isolated trees and joined chaffinches feeding on the ground, but were incredibly difficult to see on the uneven ground. A few crag martins were overhead from time to time.

A really lovely experience spent in good company!

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpg
    IMG_7341.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7325.jpg
    IMG_7325.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7335.jpg
    IMG_7335.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 92
Yes, it's a great site but I've not been there for years and for the same reason. During that period we once had a holiday villa just near the entrance road and, for the two weeks that we were there, it was a constant daily stream of lots of lorries loaded with building materials entering the valley. It's good to hear that there can be access.

Another quiet morning at the Cap with very little seen. There were at least 12 Rock sparrows in the field on the right (going down to the Cap) marked with a sign "Passatge 5"
Rock sparrows are very scarce in Mallorca so it's good to have this reliable site where they can easily be seen. Early mornings seem best as they got up and flew north at around 9.30am.
Two Black kites were seen leaving the Island by Adolfo and there was one other further up the road.
It was great to meet Cristina finally and three visiting British birders. Always good to meet up and have a chat especially as there was little else happening. Four groups of Bee-eaters were heard moving through, often hard to locate though.
Sounds like a great outing Stew, it's a beautiul place but like others, I haven't been there for some time. Mike

I was watching a large Bat hunting around the street lamps last night in Porto Petro but I have no idea what species it was, certainly it was much larger than any species I have seen before. This led me to wonder if anyone has a list of Bat species recorded in Mallorca.
If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Mike

This led me to wonder if anyone has a list of Bat species recorded in Mallorca.
If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Mike

If one can trust Wikipedia, here's a list of the bats of the Balearics:

Family: Miniopteridae (long-winged bats)
Subfamily: Miniopterinae
Genus: Miniopterus
Common bent-wing bat Miniopterus schreibersi CD
Family: Molossidae (free-tailed bats)
Subfamily: Molossinae
Genus: Tadarida
European free-tailed bat Tadarida teniotis LC
Family: Rhinolophidae (horseshoe bats)
Subfamily: Rhinolophinae
Genus: Rhinolophus
Greater horseshoe bat Rhinolophus ferrumequinum LC
Lesser horseshoe bat Rhinolophus hipposideros LC
Mehely's horseshoe bat Rhinolophus mehelyi VU
Family: Vespertilionidae (mouse-eared bats)
Subfamily: Myotinae
Genus: Myotis
Lesser mouse-eared bat Myotis blythii LC
Long-fingered bat Myotis capaccinii VU
Geoffroy's bat Myotis emarginatus LC
Greater mouse-eared bat Myotis myotis LC
Natterer's bat Myotis nattereri LC
Subfamily: Verpertilioninae
Genus: Barbastella
Barbastelle Barbastella barbastellus NT
Genus: Eptesicus
Serotine bat Eptesicus serotinus LC
Genus: Hypsugo
Savi's pipistrelle Hypsugo savii LC
Genus: Plecotus
Grey long-eared bat Plecotus austriacus LC
Genus: Pipistrellus
Kuhl's pipistrelle Pipistrellus kuhlii LC
Common pipistrelle Pipistrellus pipistrellus LC
Soprano pipistrelle Pipistrellus pygmaeus LC

Plus two from the above-mentioned paper: Nathusius’ pipistrelle Pipistrellus nathusii and Leisler’s bat Nyctalus leisleri

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any recent sightings of Scops Owl in and around Albufera, and perhaps be able to suggest where I could sneak off to one evening to try and see one? Gonna whisk the girlfriend away for 3 days sun so thinking to find somewhere last minute in that area, but would love to take the opportunity to try for a Scops! thanks

Thanks Patrick and Martin. I will keep the list and try to identify some species of Bat. Trouble is, it's rather like moths, it's all new and very confusing. I have no idea how to identify Bats flying around in the dark, it seems impossible to me. I will give it a go though, I was just intrigued to see such a large species. Mike

Hi Doc, I hope someone can help with the Scops owl site, I have received very little news this year, the reliable site was boarded up I heard. Can anyone else help? Thanks, Mike

I have no idea how to identify Bats flying around in the dark, it seems impossible to me. I will give it a go though, I was just intrigued to see such a large species. Mike

Hi Mike!
I think one of the best and easiest ways to identify flying bats is by their calls. I’ll bring my bat detector next week and we could give it a try!

Cheers
Martin

Spent a really nice day at S'Albufera. Management work was going on, and as a consequence Sa Roca was all but deserted when I arrived. The pool from the new(ish) Ses Pardes hide held three marbled duck, two cormorants and on my second visit three red-crested Pochards (as well as several pochard and lots of eclipse shovelers).

Es Cibollar I and II held a good selection of waders, including greenshank, spotted redshank, common and green sandpipers, Kentish plovers and 4 avocets. A bar-tailed godwit was in front of Es Cib II, until an osprey spooked everything by landing on an island with a fish. The godwit flew to the channels behind the pools and out of view.

At Es Columbars there was a total of 35 flamingos, with dunlin, greenshank, spotted redshank and little grebes from the hide.

On my return to Sa Roca there were two glossy ibises off to the left of the hide.

Butterflies and dragonflies were in evidence, with several clouded yellows and a couple of swallowtails. Lots of lesser emperors were around, and also lots of red-veined darters - many coupled and ovipositing. Near the main bridge I saw a migrant hawker, my only damselflies of the trip (blue-tailed) and a single territorial male violet dropwing.

I called at Maristany on my way back to Puerto Pollenca, but things were very quiet - c6 little-ringed plovers, a Kentish plover, greenshank and 2 common sands. Again, lots of lesser emperors and red-veined darters.

We fly home tomorrow night - hoping I might get some birding in around Porto Christo in the afternoon.

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_7407.jpg
    IMG_7407.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7420.jpg
    IMG_7420.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7450.jpg
    IMG_7450.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7470.jpg
    IMG_7470.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Finally managed to meet Mike and Cristina yesterday and had a great time talking to Mike and finding a really passionate birder. At son real today had xbills, turtle dove, pied flys and woodchat.
Outside of pollensa there were 2 Black Vultures, 9 Griffon 2 Booted Eagles, and wryneck.
Steve.

Good start to the morning with 3 Rock Sparrows from the road to the cap de ses Salines, also 50 plus Bee Eaters over.
Just called at the Sillot on the alcudia, can pickafort road and there is a Marsh Sandpiper with the Wood Sands, Green, L. Stint,Bar T. Godwit, Dunlin.
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back