• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (14 Viewers)

I also went to the salt pans this evening with Max.
Very enjoyable but sadly no sign of the Pallid Harrier which has shown well every night recently.
Watching a flock of Flamingoes against a flame red sky was worth it though.
Mike

GOB's online record database CITAU

Just as a reminder, it would be great if you could enter your sightings on the CITAU online records database of the GOB (Group of Ornithology of the Balearic and Nature Protection). This tool is used by most local birders to store our records and it would be great if you use it too, so we all share our sightings. Furthermore, the most interesting records in the CITAU database go into the Balearic Annual Bird Report which is published every year by the GOB since 1986.

The CITAU database has an English interface and you can enter/search records by English bird names, sites, dates, observers, etc. You will find it here: https://citau.gobmallorca.com

Hope you'll join us.

Thanks

Last edited:
Took a walk along the sea front and around La Gola before we finish packing and head for the airport later today.

Five or six yellow wags calling and heading south overhead were nice, as was the kingfisher perched on the end of the jetty opposite La Gola.

On the reserve itself there were five starlings on the telegraph wires, a female redstart and blackcap in the bushes and the same or another kingfisher was calling from one of the streams. A white wagtail flew over calling, and the squacco gave a brief flight view. A nice goodbye!

We’ll be back again in January - hopefully to add some wintering species to my Mallorca list!

Stew

Attachments

• 779B546B-D7CD-4B43-BE7B-8EE4CCC765AD.jpg
    779B546B-D7CD-4B43-BE7B-8EE4CCC765AD.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 29
Yellow-breasted bunting at Can Cullerassa

Last saturday i found a yellow-breasted bunting (Emberiza aureola) in the main path of can Cullerassa, probably my best found of the year, unfortunatelly i coudnt take a picture.
If someone goes the area pay special attention to yellow birds ;)

Thank you Pep and many congratulations on finding such a mega bird, you deserve it.
Thanks Patrick and Mike, I will take a look at those.
Just back from the Cap but I had to leave just as things were hotting up. One Hobby left followed by two pale morph Booted eagles which circled up really high and then headed for Africa.
I hope we can put an end to the common myth that Booted eagles don’t migrate across water, they most certainly do and in quite good numbers at times.
Mike

Safe journey home Stew and I will see you in January. I am headed for the UK tomorrow for two weeks as well but I will post all news that I get.
Martin and Mara arrive tomorrow and they always post their sightings so it will keep things up to date.
Mike

Last edited:
One Hobby left followed by two pale morph Booted eagles which circled up really high and then headed for Africa.
I hope we can put an end to the common myth that Booted eagles don’t migrate across water, they most certainly do and in quite good numbers at times.
Mike

:t::t::t:

Hello Mike!
the coffee-talk of la Gola on Saturday 13 will be about the Balearic subspecies, so I will have some more info about this bird and the other subespecies which has been described (I'm still gathering some info).

But the next Saturday it will be about the Red Kite in Mallorca.

Attachments

• Cartell Xerrades milana2018ANG_TARDOR.jpg
    Cartell Xerrades milana2018ANG_TARDOR.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 8
I have been reading the two very comprehensive papers posted by Patrick, and they are fascinating. They do contain a lot of long words though.
The second article about Montagu’s harriers is equally informative but I laughed when I saw all the migration routes with a large space around Mallorca as if they do anything to avoid the Island.
I think Mallorca does very well indeed for migrating raptors considering that a long crossing over water is involved to pass through there, especially the previously mentioned Booted eagles which in some years are plentiful.
I read the articles today as I’m in the UK and can’t get out birding. I hope I don’t miss too many rarities.
Mike

One Hobby left followed by two pale morph Booted eagles which circled up really high and then headed for Africa.
Mike

Of Course they do! I can't understant the deniers about it.

Last edited:
Hello Mike!
The ssp balearica (Loxia curvirostra balearica) was described in 1862 by Homeyer.
In fact, the coffee-talk of la Gola on Saturday 13 will be about the Balearic subspecies, so I will have some more info about this bird and the other subespecies which has been described (I'm still gathering some info).

Regards,
Cristina.

I should be back and will join you for an interesting presentation
Have fun and keep the birds protected

Mike

I was at Son Real on Tuesday and saw 4 peafowl type birds in pinewoods, are these escapees? Other than that not much about on a fairly windy day

John Bennett, sorry, I overlooked your post. Nice encounter with an owl. Short-eared is unlikely although there has been one hanging around the north for a while this spring and summer.
I think Long-eared owl is much more likely, its about the same size and structure, a bit smaller maybe, but very similar in other ways. Long-eared is mostly nocturnal whereas Short-eared is primarily a daytime hunter. Hope this helps.
As you have seen from other posts, I am waiting for help with some of the Warbler photos. Mike
Thanks Mike, I will update my record

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back