• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

:t:
The 2015 Balearic Bird Report states "Passage uncommon" for Mallorca, Menorca and Formentera, 'rare' in Ibiza.

thanks honeym - will make sure I report all stuff of note as per link few days ago in thread. They were where the little stream from Albufereta goes into sea
:t:

Can’t upload pictures on here but it is a Caspian Gull.
It should be fairly easy to upload an image. You just need to go into Additional Options and Attach Files.
I believe Caspian Gull is regarded as an Accidental and needs submitting to the Rarities Committee.
Martin

Visited Mortitx this morning. 2 black kites, griffon vulture and good numbers
Of black vulture. 2 Eleonoras through and a Bonellis eagle being mobbed by ravens. 3 wryneck heard, 2 blackcap, 3 cirl bunting and 6+ firecrest. Micky

I don’t have a laptop so can’t edit image size. They are on twitter @james_k_boyle cheers.

Hi James
Hope you don't mind but I've uploaded a copy of one of your images for you - in case someone here wants to see it. I'll have to bow to superior birders when it comes to identifying gulls ;)

Attachments

• James22 photo.jpg
    James22 photo.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 108
A very quiet day today, with seemingly most of passage now ceased. Llenaire first thing was quiet with a single Bee-eater on the wires (only 1 seen or heard all day - very strange after the 3 figure numbers from a couple of days ago). 4 Stone curlew showed nice and close, 3 Adult Night Herons flew over together and dropped into a stand of low trees to presumably roost. Hirundines were down to an infrequent trickle.
Later in the Morning a 'Larger' Eagle mobbed by a Booted, was almost probably a Bonelli's, heading towards the Boquer, distant underwing looked good but just on the edge of Bins range.
Several Eleonoras over through the day.
Last full day tomorrow.

Can Cuarassa: from dawn, last nights reported Roller was still present though distant at 07.15, but couldnt see it later when i walked back. 2 fly through F/immM Golden Orioles were nice, 3 groups of Bee-eater (totalling 49 birds) went N, 2F Marsh Harrier through, 7 Stone Curlew seen. 1 Eleonoras over, and a Sub ad Night heron in flight.
Chris's 3 Sanderling were still on shore by Sant Jordi Mouth.
Walked back via Llenaire, another Night Heron (adult) by Smelly river, 2m Cirl Buntings, 3 Cattle egret, a 3rd F Marsh harrier through. 12 Bee-eaters on wires by Llenaire roundabout showed particularly well.
A Firecrest was singing on walk back to Hotel.

I went early to Albufera today; best things were a cracking Collared Pratincole from El Cibbolar 1(think thats spelling?) hide that was there whole time on the islands along with c10 Summer Curlew Sands, Flamingoes and more usual suspects. As I walked down main track from the entrance a Savis was reeling to the left and could be seen distantly on a reed top.

Had a look a Can Cuarassa c8.30 but despite much scanning Rollers keeps eluding me - 14 Bee Eaters over was nice through.

Hi Maties, no pics of open wings or rump. There are some other pics on twitter if anyone could add them to the thread they might help?

last afternoon before we sadly leave. Seemed to be a real Bee Eater day in the overcast weather - afternoon cycle around llenaire/ smelly stream area had at least 60 all over wires and bushes; some giving great views - they really are great birds! Other than that Booted Eagle, 1 Red Kite and 3-4 Eleanor's. Great to meet some of you around - the 'community' of birders you meet ( and who post) adds an extra dimension to Mallorca. Long may it last. Cheers Chris

Oh, meant to add - 3 Sanderling on the Beach last night...I assume fairly common in Mallorca?

At Albufera on Tuesday, Micky S already reported (good to meet you there), there was 1 Sanderling, as well as 22 Curlew Sandpiper and a Ringed Plover.
At the Depuradora a Whiskered Tern, and a Eleonora's Falcon flew over.

Attachments

• Sanderling_3847.jpg
    Sanderling_3847.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 110
  • Eleonora's Falcon_3654.jpg
    Eleonora's Falcon_3654.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for that Chris and for your posts. Sorry I wasn’t there to say hello.
You are right about the birding community, it’s nice to feel part of a group who love the Island.
Mike

Albercutx tower this morning gave good views of Balearic Warbler and BR Thrush. Then the mist came down so we went to Son Bosc area. 40-50 bee eater seen and more heard. Black tern seen from tower and plenty of marsh harriers. One flyover male Monty’s harrier and numerous kestrel.
Last full day tomorrow so hopefully the birding will be good. Micky

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back