• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (14 Viewers)

Hi. Counting the days _ 2 weeks and a bit to our holiday. Will be staying near albufera / Puig de Sant Marti. What might we expect to see round there?

Thanks, Tom

Hi. Counting the days _ 2 weeks and a bit to our holiday. Will be staying near albufera / Puig de Sant Marti. What might we expect to see round there?

Thanks, Tom

Hey Tom,

We may well be on the same flight as we have a family hols planned fro 10th-19th :D We're staying in the south-west though.

I've been following this thread for a few weeks now and find it great to see what others have seen, so keep an eye on it.

I also bought this book which is very useful:

https://www.nhbs.com/a-birding-tour...MI4fyKwc-g4QIV9f7jBx1VCggtEAQYASABEgJ5aPD_BwE

You can pickup a copy of it for £10 from the March Book Sale link here:

https://www.birdforum.net/announcement.php?f=114&a=123

Also, this site has some decent info:

https://www.mallorcabirdwatching.com/

Maybe see you out there!

Nige

I wonder if you have seen this article in the Euro Weekly News, out today.
Not sure about it’s accuracy though because I remember you writing about it.

Hi Mike

No, I'd not seen it but Xisco (the student mentioned) said that it had made the TV and papers. It's udeful to have a copy.

It's reasonably accurate although more than one was recorded - and larvae found.

Martin

You are right, Martin and Mike. Great Bittern is regular but scarce in s'Albufera (and probably in Albufereta too), for exemple this winter has been seen twice.

In s'Albufera these days I've seen some nice migrants, including Great Reed Warbler, Common Tern, Purple Heron, Swallows and Martins (five european species all together), Swifts, Garganey, Northern Wheatear...

In s'Albufereta still a nice flock of Flamingos (25), some waders including Kentish Plower building nest, Greenshanks, Spoonbills...

In Maria de la Salut early this morning a Quail was singing, and there were some Harriers in the area. In Costitx (where I live now), Scops Owl singing every night, and quite a few Wrynecks too.

And in Binissalem still 1 Litle Crake, 3 Spotted Crakes, Willow Warbler, Tree Sparrows, Yellow Wagtails...

Spring is here!

Sightings Mallorca

Hello!
Here you have some of the other birds seen yesterday and today in Mallorca.

26/03 White Stork (3) in Marratxí . Obs: Miguel Mcminn
27/03 Bluethroat in Sa Dragonera Natural Park (Andratx). Obs: Ollie Padget
27/03 Alpine Swift in Bassa de Can Guidet (Palma). Obs: Dani Hinckley

Regards :)
Cristina.

Last edited:
Quick update from today's birding.
Full house on the Hirundines was completed today at Tucan Ponds with best views ever of Red Rumped Swallow and everything else bar Alpine Swift ,fantastic amount of birds right over our heads which had us buzzing for the rest of the day so we went back for seconds late PM and the show was still ongoing.
Son Bosc gave me my first ever sightings of Swallow Tail Butterfly of which four individuals were seen.Also plenty of Stone Curlew about this area as usual.
Nice Temmincks Stint seen from Sewage Works Decking made it two different Stints in as many days but wind still had that cold nip to it so only stayed for 20 mins or so,Garganey and Three Green Sand also seen from there.
Peregrine and Booted Eagle seen over Boquer late PM as well as Booted Eagle over reeded area behind Pollenca Park Hotel as we drove past.

Cheers

Bob

Late this afternoon there was a Little Bunting along the Cami de Can Bregat, in the area of gardens and villas between Port de Pollença and Pollença. It was associating with finches and Tree Sparrows. The exact spot where we found it was:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.889358,3.0490804,21z

We then had it in one or two other fields and gardens nearby. I found it thanks to its calls and apart from flight views it was very difficult to pin down but eventually we managed to see it perched in a tree briefly but well. We'll have another look for it tomorrow.

Magnus Robb (with Mark and Mo Constantine)

Looking forward to returning to Mallorca in around 3 weeks so watching the threads and catching up with some of the birds being seen! Was also a piece about S'Albufera Wetlands in the Yorkshire Post over the weekend too!

Staying in Port Alcudia for a week so if there are other birders wanting to meet up between the 20th and 27th April........

Though might need to get a pass out as coming with the fiancee and she's not exactly into the wildlife! Smile!

Greetings

Hi all
Just to say hello as I've been reading this thread for a few years but never really posted anything. Been coming to Mallorca for about 20 years but always in late September or October. Bit embarrassing to say that I've NEVER seen a Mallorcan Bee-eater yet as they're gone by the time I get there! However, I will put that right this year as I am visiting with my partner for 2 weeks in mid May. Will start putting some of my sightings on here too if anyone is interested. I've enclosed a few pix I've taken with my trusty bridge camera. Best wishes to you all.

Rhys

Attachments

• P1300101_kindlephoto-9936851.jpg
    P1300101_kindlephoto-9936851.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 84
  • P1290528_kindlephoto-8975822.jpg
    P1290528_kindlephoto-8975822.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 83
  • P1290495_kindlephoto-9066598.jpg
    P1290495_kindlephoto-9066598.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 82
  • black1_kindlephoto-9812196.jpg
    black1_kindlephoto-9812196.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 70
  • P1120946_kindlephoto-10085806.jpg
    P1120946_kindlephoto-10085806.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 79
A loan of your Bank Card,may help with your birding time,Rob..! :-C

Kat's keen on that idea!

Robert Fuller a well known Wildlife artist was the writer of the article in the Yorkshire Post about S'Albufera Wetlands and was very complimentary about his time there - though he did find it a little cold!

In the morning we didn't manage to find the Little Bunting but around 17:30 today it was back at exactly the same spot as yesterday (Cami de Can Bregat, details above). Unfortunately it disappeared very quickly, but anyone wanting to see it would be well advised to try there in the late afternoon.

Magnus

Last post for this trip to Majorca
Visit yesterday to Tucan Ponds and all of the hirundines
looked to have moved on with just the odd
House Martin and Swallow left
Checked doghouse next but flooded area
to the rear of house completely dried out
now
Last check around the hides of S Albufera
gave us great views of Osprey over Sa Roca
Little Stint still in the area too and a lone
Alpine Swift was seen mid afternoon
Osprey eating fish on dead tree stump from
Bishop 2
Some really smart looking Water Pipit
from as Sa Roca and just before leaving
a large group of Avocet and Greenshsnk
came in to bathe from the new hide
Also group of fourth Ibis but they stayed
well to the rear of the water area
Will post some pics when I get home and sort
out cards etc
Another very enjoyable stay on th
Island and hope to return soon

Cheers

Bob

Hello,
another Bluethroat was seen the 27th around Camí den Pep in s'Albufera by Toni Pons.
A Jack Snipe seen this morning at la Gola by Robin Sandham.
And just now Dani Hinckley has seen 2 Black Storks from Albercutx Tower :t:

Regards.
Cristina.

Last edited:
3 Spotted Crakes today. One very close to Es Ras hide at Albufera, then 2 at Albufereta, seen at a distance from the southwest side looking across to the muddy margins at the end of the day.

We also saw our first two Balearic Woodchat Shrikes of the year at Albufereta, and there were a Nightingale and a Wryneck at the start of the Boquer Valley.

Magnus

Hello,
here I attach the birds seen this morning in la Gola. A nice mix of migrants, winterings, residents and summer visitors.
Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 100_2927.JPG
    100_2927.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 60
Last night I had a microphone out near the mirador at Albercutx Tower, with the idea of recording nocturnal migrants. It didn't pick up a lot, but there were a couple of surprises. Number one was a very close Barn Owl. No idea what it was doing up there! Another was a distant but unmistakeable Little Ringed Plover and the funny thing was that it gave a short burst of the sound I usually associate with display flights. I believe it was migrating nonetheless - some waders do this in spring. Other migrants included two Song Thrushes, two Night Herons and one Grey Heron. There was also a single distant call that sounded like a Scops Owl, but I am unsure whether a migrant of this species would ever call in flight.

Does anyone know where exactly where the male Pallid Harrier of Albufera was seen yesterday?

Magnus Robb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back