• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

Ola to everyone out there, today was to be our first day on the Island but sadly not.
It has been great to read about your lockdown birding especially Gregor's updates, totally jaw dropping.
Your reports Mike have been great as usual and I feel your frustrations.
A trip through Hugh's diaries have been most welcome, all the places mentioned would have seen us treading the paths.
Some good news is that the trip for next year has already been booked so the pies will be put on hold for now Mike.
Looking forward to all of you keeping us updated with your reports.

Adios for now. Tony & Cath

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 24- 30TH MARCH-6TH APRIL 2012
MERIVA TO MORTITX
From Birmingham again with Monarch, but sadly without the in-laws as Grandma had been told she needed a back operation as soon as possible or the rest of her life might be in a wheelchair- and the date of the op was when we had booked. So we had even more space than usual in the family rooms and on the first evening my reconnaissance walk lucked in on a Scops with at least 3 heard on my perambulation. The next day was mainly adjusting to always having to sort out the boys, but in the afternoon in the garden I met Matthew and Debbie Rodgers from Cambridge- Matthew had once been a Northants birder and it was nice to be re-acquainted, and to be able to have great views of the Scops Owls in the evening as they were "showing well". The Sunday followed our familiar pattern of church (where we met Graeme le Saux of footballing fame- he said he was dreading Chelsea v Barcelona in the Champions League- but of course that year Chelsea went on to win it thanks to Didier Drogba), followed by lunch at the Joker and a local stroll- in the evening the Owls put on a great performance again.
Monday had to be Albufereta day, and we got off the bus at the Posada Verano to find it now semi-derelict, but the orchids were out, and there were Avocets there which I had never experienced before. Back at the hotel a fishing boat was coming into port with a trail of Shearwaters- all Scopoli's ( I have never seen Balearic very close inshore at Port de Pollenca). on my walk that evening i established that there were Scops on the Llenaire Road as well as the pair at the back of the Pollentia. Tuesday we had a crisis with my wife's glasses needing a repair, but we found an opticians in town that would do it, and we came back to the hotel to have lunch in the garden accompanied by a Hoopoe feeding and calling.
Wednesday was of course family Albufera day and it was pleasant enough to be there with Marbled Teal, Oystercatcher and Curlew the highlights. Heavy rain in the evening curtailed Owl watching somewhat. The lady with our car was actually on time on the Thursday, but the promised Golf had turned into a Vauxhall Meriva which was definitely not as sporty. So off as usual to the Depuradora, and then to Arta, where it poured with rain, so we diverted to Sa Coma after coffee in Son Servera, and as it brightened up went on a walk round the Punta de n'Amer which was nice habitat with migrant Short-toed Larks and Shearwaters offshore. Friday was our first attempt to get to Mortitx as we had purchased the Birding Tourist's Guide and had the new Gosney . We squeezed into the last space outside and walked in, getting slightly lost once but eventually getting to the small reservoir. After this we revisited Campanet Caves which were expensive but interesting, and then came back along the Cami Vall to Pollensa and the hotel. I had seen from the bus some new screens near the Can Cuarassa restaurant, and so went to investigate, finding the new part of the Albufereta,with viewing screens and a good range of waterbirds there......
PS Nice to hear from you, Tony and Cath- we should have been there now as well.

Thoroughly enjoying the posts and wishing I was there. I can walk the local coastal path along the south shore of Belfast Lough but am missing loads of migrants. No willow warbler singing as yet as I can't get to the right habitat, but at least I am allowed out and really shouldn't complain. Highlight this morning was 7 shelduck flying over, patch gold as I've never seen them here before. Keep the posts coming, God willing I'll try and get there in 2021if I'm allowed out and Spain lets us in.

I hope you make it here Derek!
There have been good numbers of Golden oriole this year with many sightings all around Mallorca.
A couple of Honey Buzzard have been through today and Black Kite are still moving through the Island.
Bee-eaters are putting on a good show with some quite large groups.
I will try to get more information on some Golden Eagles which have been spotted, two females as far as I can make out, one with falconers equipment still attached.
Perhaps Pep could help us?
Thanks, Mike

Nice to hear you find some good birds yesterday Mike!

Yesterday was a great day for raptors, with a day total of more than 20 Black Kites, a couple of Marsh Harriers, Osprey, Booted and Bonelli's Eagles, Red Kite, Griffon Vulture, Peregrines and Kestrel. Also decent numbers of Pallid and Alpine Swifts (perhaps 15 and 5 respectively) and lots of Bee-eaters overhead, while several Willow Warblers and a Whitethroat were in the garden all day.

The wind conditions appear to have favoured the east of the island for raptor migration today with several good sightings there, the only raptors here have been Booted Eagle, Red Kite and Kestrel. A few Pallid Swifts and Bee-eaters overhead again as well. In the garden the highlights have been a handful of Willow Warblers, along with two Whinchats, a couple of Spotted Flycatchers among the Mediterranean Flycatchers and a female Pied Flycatcher. There also seems to be a Barbary Dove among the Collared Doves in the village, I've got a (very) long distance photo (the bird on the right, compared to Collared Dove in the middle and Woodpigeon on the left) below but I'll try and improve it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 0305whinchat.jpg
    0305whinchat.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 92
  • 0305barbarydove.jpg
    0305barbarydove.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 106
I will try to get more information on some Golden Eagles which have been spotted, two females as far as I can make out, one with falconers equipment still attached.
Perhaps Pep could help us?
Thanks, Mike

Hi,
Today we have seen a female Golden Eagle at Formentor, arriving the lighthouse and then coming back to Pollença.
The bird has long falconery strips and radio backbox.
So after long research it is a second golden eagle scaped 2 years ago, and living most on Ternelles area.
It is also a female (like the olf "Bicinta" scaped 15 days ago and still living in Majorca), so they cant breed, that is a pity.
Today we also have had 44 Black kites, 3 Honey buzzards and some other raptor.

Attachments

• 11Aquila1.jpg
    11Aquila1.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 11Aquila2.jpg
    11Aquila2.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 123 Milvus6.jpg
    123 Milvus6.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 123 Cariño Miel.jpg
    123 Cariño Miel.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 83
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 25- 7TH-13TH APRIL 2012
A PANDA DOWN SOUTH
Saturday was our last day with the car, and the next place we visited in our quest to see more of the inland towns and villages was Santa Margalida, where we had hot chocolates outside a cafe in the market place. Then we dropped off my wife at the big church in Arta whilst I took the boys up to the radio mast on top of the hill on the way to Betlem, where there are stunning views of Alcudia and Pollensa bays. Then along one of the roads to the coast which became distinctly rough as we arrived at Cala Mitjana- remote but pleasant with Balearic and Scopoli's Shearwaters offshore. Easter Sunday saw us in church to begin with, then I went up the Boquer but as it was quite windy the Balearic Warblers were hiding- but I did see some Black Vultures. That evening I found the Scops near the Llenaire road flying out of a tree at the Bahia Pollensa apartments.
Easter Monday we took the bus to Can Picafort and then walked south into Son Real which was packed with visitors, but despite the crowds the Thekla Larks showed well, and a Turnstone was on the rocks by the shore. We found a live tortoise, but a dead dolphin in the same area.The Tuesday dawned cool and cloudy, and my wife and the boys decided to take a trip to the hotel spa and stay local, so I was able at short notice to squeeze into the back seat of a Fiat Panda with Matthew and Debbie Rodgers, and take an unexpected trip down south to Salobrar de Campos, where we found that the salt company had put in a walking route (for an entrance fee) round the lagoons which went rather too close to the Flamingos, although by careful and slow progress we did not cause them to flush. As usual there was a good selection of waders, and we heard a Cuckoo, although it is still only a "heard" species on my Mallorca list. A Pallid Swift was very obvious amongst loads of Commons. The weather was deteriorating, so we drove back via Castell de Santueri where the Alpine Swifts and Peregrines were showing well.
Wednesday was family trip to the Boquer day, although it was extremely windy, so the best action was up above, with both Vulture species and a Black Kite, whilst on the way down a Black-eared Wheatear at the finca showed after a bit of a wait. Thursday was a local day and only a quick trip up into the Boquer brought birding interest with a Wryneck showing nicely, whilst the poor dog ona chain by the gate had a severe bout of diarrhoea!
Friday we packed and said goodbye to Rosa at the supermarket- our last call there as customers, as Rosa was about to retire having served the area and visitors since 1972, just after the Pollensa park opened. Then on the taxi and back to Brum.
PS- factual error apology- Dave Gosney's revised book and DVD actually came out at Christmas 2012 although he was in the Pollensa Park area in April 2012 filming and researching.

A nice day here, though sadly no migrating raptors again. The highlights overhead were Bonelli’s Eagle, Peregrine, several Pallid and two Alpine Swifts, lots more Bee-eaters and a garden-first Yellow Wagtail that went low over the roof.

There are still plenty of migrants around, with Golden Oriole, Willow Warbler, Turtle Dove and Cuckoo at dawn (though perhaps the latter two are local breeders?), and a Whitethroat and Wood Warbler in the garden at dusk. In addition to the Wagtail, a Firecrest was my first of the lockdown and my 77th species. I can’t really believe I hadn’t seen one before! I’m also still missing Blue Tit and Zitting Cisticola which occur regularly around the garden.

It was also nice to see both Nightingale and Wryneck today. I hear both virtually every day but it’s such a treat to see one venture out into the open!

42 species today, I don’t want spring to end!

Yes Pep, Mallorca is a magical Island in spring, especially with a few storms to liven things up a bit. When the weather is hot and calm, the migration slows down as you have found Gregor.
Your day total is still excellent, my highest day total has been 33 so you are doing well.
I still haven’t seen Willow Warbler despite going out locally now. No Wood warblers either and I’m sure I will miss some spring migrants altogether.
I think we can drive around from next Monday so I will go straight to the salt pans for terns, Collared pratincoles and some waders I hope. Then on to the central plain for some scarce falcons. A Honey Buzzard or two would be nice as well.
Migrant Kestrels have been going through, some Marsh harriers and Black Kite still and I believe three Egyptian vultures have been seen.
I hope everyone is getting out and about a bit more, it’s been a very testing time.
All the best, Mike

I haven’t checked thoroughly but I think my total lockdown list is 59.
I have seen at least 7 new birds for the balcony:
Northern Gannet
Great skua
Great white egret
Purple heron
Cirl Bunting
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Common Buzzard.
I have also seen 4 species which will remain unidentified:
A skua species seen twice, definitely not Great skua. Both times it was following a long line of Balearic shearwaters so a good comparison for size estimation.
Some species of stork, maybe black but I will never know.
A large raptor but possibly Black vulture.
A large species of eagle, very distant but as it banked, I noticed lovely brown upper wings with some pale markings.
I find it very annoying and don’t find it easy to let go.
I still think about a raptor species I saw some years ago. One reader kindly sent me a private message suggesting Harris hawk and I said it wasn’t but the more I’ve thought about it, the more I think he was right!
Being at home has therefore been very mixed, some great joy but lots of frustration too.
It will be a luxury to go to migration watchpoints and see some birds close up, the views here are just too distant, both on the sea and mountains.
I will never forget the Cuckoo though, that image is burnt into my psyche and will remain there as one of those special birds that makes up for everything else.
I hope other people have seen good birds too.
Mike

I forgot to mention that Eleonora’s falcons are being seen now so they are arriving.
I guess all regular visitors will have their favorite place to watch these sleek and agile falcons. Mine is at Son Bosc in the evenings where they sometimes put on a marvelous show.
If anyone knows of other locations, I would be pleased to hear.
Mike

I forgot to mention that Eleonora’s falcons are being seen now so they are arriving.
I guess all regular visitors will have their favorite place to watch these sleek and agile falcons. Mine is at Son Bosc in the evenings where they sometimes put on a marvelous show.
Mike

The view point just before the South Light house in Parc Natural of Dragonera, you see the cliff, some nests, dozens of Eleonora's falcons and if it is end of summer you see the young falcons doing their firsts flights.

Thanks Pep. I have watched young Eleonora’s falcons on the wing at Formentor but I’ve never seen them around the site you mention near Dragonera. Sounds like it’s worth a visit.
The light easterly winds seem to favour me more today with a late Sand Martin flying past the balcony, another new bird for my list.
I also heard the Common Buzzard calling today, as I do most morning. I think they are breeding nearby but I can’t locate them.
A migrant Common Kestrel came in from the sea and went like a bullet up north.
A Black Kite was circling round towards Sant Salvador. I have seen it most days recently so it doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to leave the Island.
I’m off for an evening walk to watch the Nightjars in Mondragó. I hope there will be good numbers, the last few years have been very poor for this species locally, one of my favourites.
Mike

Mike

Hi Mike
My best ever experience was near s'Albuferetta, overlooking the rough fields just up from the cafe/bar that used to be there. I'd gone there specifically to look for moths flying just before dusk as I'd seen some a few days before when we went there to run a moth trap one evening. As the sun started to go down the mozzies emerged and found me - but I'd come prepared and sprayed the branches of a tamarisk with repellant and stood among the branches. Then the cicadas and beetles started to emerge, joined by about 36 Eleanora's, all swooping around me and down to head height. I stayed there until it was almost too dark to see as it was such a spectacular sight. One I will never forget! For once I was in the right place at the right time (I even found a couple of really interesting moths).
I've also done Son Bosc when the Polyphylla fullo emerge.
Martin

Last edited:
Great Gregor!
You have discovered why April in Majorca is just Magical!!!

I certainly have! Virtually every day has provided a new surprise.

Mike, I hadn't appreciated that we may be able to drive as of Monday, that is very exciting indeed.

40 species today, including three Willow Warblers, a Whitethroat, a Turtle Dove and a Whinchat in the garden. Overhead there were more Bee-eaters and Pallid Swifts, a single Alpine Swift, two Peregrines, a Black Vulture and a group of Kites, 8 Red and one Black! It was amazing to see a Woodchat Shrike aggressively mob a Red Kite every time the Kite attempted to cruise over the valley.

Fantastic to see a Nightjar this evening as well, I hadn't heard or seen them for a few days. Scops Owls, Nightingales and Stone Curlews calling too, this is not a bad place to be right now!

Another surprise today, with this Eleonora’s Falcon overhead, a new bird for the garden!

Also Black Vulture, Peregrines, Bee-eaters and Pallid Swifts etc, but three Willow Warblers are the only migrants in the garden itself.

Attachments

• AF273B29-C925-4B37-9F93-6AC5DE69FE5D.jpeg
    AF273B29-C925-4B37-9F93-6AC5DE69FE5D.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 71
Ten Black Kite went through the north yesterday and quite a few Honey Buzzard were seen leaving today.
I will post the numbers when I get details.
I hope at least one of those Honey Buzzard came over your way Gregor.
Mike

Ten Black Kite went through the north yesterday and quite a few Honey Buzzard were seen leaving today.
I will post the numbers when I get details.
I hope at least one of those Honey Buzzard came over your way Gregor.
Mike

Sadly not, but fantastic to hear that they’re moving in decent numbers now! I spent the whole afternoon outside staring at an empty sky ;)

Quite a quiet day today, my first since the 9th April with no Willow Warblers. I had a Golden Oriole in the garden yesterday afternoon and one also flew overhead this morning while I was on my walk. Presuming they were different birds, that makes a total of 12 here this Spring!

Also a Pied Flycatcher in the garden, and Peregrine, Pallid and Alpine Swifts overhead but no Bee-eaters today. It was also nice to be able to walk a little further down into the fields south of Capdellà, where I saw my first Zitting Cisticolas, Cetti’s Warblers and Blue Tits of the lockdown!

Hopefully there will be more raptor action here tomorrow!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back