• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

A view of the field at Orient on a cold and drizzly day with Joan watching the Pine Bunting. The Yellowhammers were in the trees and fields at the back of this shot.
Joan seemed very good at relocating the bird.
Mike

Attachments

• B0B34D8A-B641-4FDA-B858-856DF19BFBA9.jpeg
    B0B34D8A-B641-4FDA-B858-856DF19BFBA9.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Stew, nice to know you are out there. I just wish some of our regular visitors could get here, it’s all very frustrating. I know some of them have tried to book, only to have their flights cancelled. Perhaps MikeSwiss, Kevin or David could give us an update on the situation, it may be of help to anyone thinking of booking.
Jason reports that the Pine Bunting is still present at Orient, just to tempt any of you trying to get here.
Also, at least 20 Yellowhammers so that was quite an invasion of this beautiful bunting. Jason also said that other birds were present but hidden from view so goodness knows what may be around in their company.
I have been driving around the Island a lot recently, stopping to look at possible birding sites. I’m thinking about how much of the Island is not covered and what we may be missing. It must be the same in other countries too but this is a relatively small Island and is a magnet for passage migrants and winter visitors so I reckon there are other goodies just waiting to be discovered.
Mike
We're booked for 2 Jan. All available fingers crossed that it'll work. We can't wait to escape the northern gloom. Yesterday was the first bright day for four weeks. Didn't last though. I just can't wait to get back in our garden on Mallorca and enjoy the view, never mind undiscovered goodies! Hope to see you soon! David

I have just seen a Long-eared in flight, what a magnificent bird that is.
I’m getting news of a Great bustard on Menorca. I will post more details when I get them or perhaps Pep could fill us in, I don’t quite understand the messages. A very exciting record and one which I mentioned just a few days ago.
Mike

I believe that the Great bustard is on Formentor, not Menorca as I stated.
I will give more details when I have them.
I had to check the date though, the 28th December is April fool’s day.
I have fallen for it five years running, having chased after Eagle Owls, Waxwings and last year I found myself in the Bay of Palma looking for a Red-footed booby.
This year I’m not biting, I have a big red ring round the date on the calendar. Mind you, I did that last year..
Mike

I believe that the Great bustard is on Formentor, not Menorca as I stated.
I will give more details when I have them.
I had to check the date though, the 28th December is April fool’s day.
I have fallen for it five years running, having chased after Eagle Owls, Waxwings and last year I found myself in the Bay of Palma looking for a Red-footed booby.
This year I’m not biting, I have a big red ring round the date on the calendar. Mind you, I did that last year..
Mike
Hello,
There are very few information, but a great bustard have been seen at Formentera! (It is an small island south of Ibiza).
It was found by a hunter (affortunatelly not killed) and yesteraday it was seen by some birders and photografed also with very good pictures.
The picture is from Roger Cases and I think it is not doubts it is a Great bustard, probably pushed bu the greats westerly winds of some days ago.
Anyway it is unbelivible and First fos Balearics.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 18.12.30.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 18.12.30.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Pep. When Lalo put on a photo of a mystery bird last week, I suggested it was a Great bustard as a joke.
Little did I know just how prophetic that turned out to be!
Yet another first for the Balearics.
I had a brief visit to Cap de Ses Salines this morning, the last of so many this year. It was a beautiful sunny and warm morning and the sea was very calm. An Osprey floated past and a single Balearic shearwaters buzzed by, really close in. It was so close I didn’t know what it was for a while. Lots of Shags on the water.
At passage 5, a Song Thrush was in with a large number of Meadow pipits and Black Redstarts. A few sparrows were too distant to call. I have no idea how long the Rock sparrows stay at this site, it is rarely visited in winter.
Seawatching can be rewarding with Razorbills putting in the odd appearance.
I hope everyone is keeping well.
Mike

Wishing all contributors and readers the best possible Christmas in these difficult times. Many thanks to Mike M for keeping this forum going, often single handed, as we've all been deserting you. I'm fortunate to have been able to make a few trips this year, to see some great birds and to share some great days out. Looking forward to returning early February 2021 if possible and to creating some more special memories. Take care and stay safe
David

My thoughts exactly. All the contributions have certainly helped to get through the various covid rules & regs. For my own part it is now 4 years since I've visited the islands and I really miss it. Hopefully that can be resolved next year - just have to keep fingers crossed 🤞
Best wishes
Martin

Thanks Martin and David.
I echo your thoughts entirely. I have so many special memories of this beautiful Island, many of them shared with the locals and visitors alike.
Many days stand out but even walking in the countryside and mountains is joyful.
I will give the highlights of the year on the 30th but in the meantime, season’s greeting to all.
Keep safe and I look forward to meeting up with many of you in the coming year.
Best wishes, Mike

A quick visit to the salt pans on this cold day. Good numbers of Kentish plovers, Little stints and one Dunlin.
A group of Avocet, which was nice, they were absent from this site a couple of winters ago.
I then went walking in Mondragó. I was searching for Common Buzzard which can now be seen there but no sign. I’m trying to establish where they go in winter. They are listed as a scarce resident breeder but I have never seen them in winter at this site. They have been reported from other sites recently though. They appear back in Mondragó early in the year as far as I can tell.
The Red-breasted mergansers are still along the south coast, seen today by Lalo at Cuidad Jardín.
Mike

More on the Bustard here:

Thanks Phil. I don’t know if anyone has been to see it, I don’t think they have. What a monster bird for the Balearics.
I went to Porto Colom today but it was very windy. Just one Balearic Warbler but no Dartford warblers showing. I will go again when the wind settles.
Some lovely sunsets just recently.
Mike

Attachments

• 1A82EF90-2BE3-44E8-9BD6-8032B915BD58.jpeg
    1A82EF90-2BE3-44E8-9BD6-8032B915BD58.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 8
I find it beyond belief that despite my statement a few posts ago, that this morning I found myself on my way to Palma, via Randa, to see some scarce birds reported at those locations.
Only when a message came through in English that it was April Fool’s Day that I remembered.
I came to a screeching halt, turned round and cursed myself all the way home.
What a plonker.
Mike

A couple more Lesser Black-backed gulls have been seen, at Can Guidet, and the other near Palma seen yesterday, is still around.
I’m walking along the south coast tomorrow, their favoured location, so I hope to connect as a last gasp attempt at holding onto second spot in the Bigyear.
Very strong winds may have brought more gulls to the Island. It will be interesting to see what will be found in the coming days.
Mike

Last edited:
A couple more Lesser Black-backed gulls have been seen, at Can Guidet, and the other near Palma seen yesterday, is still around.
I’m walking along the south coast tomorrow, their favoured location, so I hope to connect as a last gasp attempt at holding onto second spot in the Bigyear.
Very strong winds may have brought more gulls to the Island. It will be interesting to see what will be found in the coming days.
Mike

No doubt a welcome opportunity to test your gull ID skills Mike!

Haha Stew! I have been reading up about the differences between Lesser Black backed and Yellow-legged gulls and its a minefield as it always is with gulls. I know many people are not so keen on gulls but I find the whole subject fascinating. I have read about the shape of the head, gonydeal angles, head streaking, orbital rings, mirrors and other features. If anyone knows a good paper perhaps they could post it.
I have seen some Yellow-legged gulls here with darker backs than usual and that’s where the confusion starts. I’m sure I have called LBB a few times incorrectly.
I hope to see some later today and I will post any photos I get.
Mike

Haha Stew! I have been reading up about the differences between Lesser Black backed and Yellow-legged gulls and its a minefield as it always is with gulls. I know many people are not so keen on gulls but I find the whole subject fascinating. I have read about the shape of the head, gonydeal angles, head streaking, orbital rings, mirrors and other features. If anyone knows a good paper perhaps they could post it.
I have seen some Yellow-legged gulls here with darker backs than usual and that’s where the confusion starts. I’m sure I have called LBB a few times incorrectly.
I hope to see some later today and I will post any photos I get.
Mike
As you know Mike, gull ID hurts my head! I really like the Helm Guide - just enough info to help with most species but not so much that I lose the will to live! The other answer is to find a friendly Larophile who can tell you what’s what and why!

Good luck!

Stew

Attachments

• 4556487C-9865-4FA5-BC3F-AD2057B4FCC7.jpeg
    4556487C-9865-4FA5-BC3F-AD2057B4FCC7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 3B8C7E1C-E685-4D86-8752-88E366E1FC60.jpeg
    3B8C7E1C-E685-4D86-8752-88E366E1FC60.jpeg
    790.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Stew, that’s a very good guide indeed. I will try to get a copy.
I might just stick to adult summer gulls for the time being. I can certainly see where the confusion starts, right from juvenile plumage upwards.
Gulls seen today sadly didn’t include either Mediterranean or Lesser black-backed but I saw good numbers of Black-headed, Yellow-legged and Audouin’s gulls. I gave them good scrutiny but no other species sadly.
An Osprey flew low along the coast, quite a common thing for local Ospreys to do here.
Mike

Attachments

• 1F79F54E-DB54-47CA-8C8F-28A1AE51B5D1.jpeg
    1F79F54E-DB54-47CA-8C8F-28A1AE51B5D1.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back