• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

Safe trip home David and Kevin.
That’s a great total for the time of the year.
Thanks for your company on our day out together and thanks also for posting here.
I’m sure people have had enough of my witterings so all the more welcome.
As Kevin rightly said, it’s been emotional.
Mike

I was quite surprised to see that an Egyptian vulture has been seen on the Isles of Scilly, UK.
Labeled “bird of the century”, it must have given the finder a bit of a shock.
We do see migrant birds here so they do move about quite a bit.
An evening seawatch was delightful, despite a wedding taking place at the lighthouse.
Me standing in the middle of the throng, scope up, might just add a bit of interest to their wedding photos.
Dolphins, both Scopoli’s and Balearic shearwaters were flying close in on a very calm sea.
Mike

I have searched as much of Mallorca as I have been able to, in the hope of finding a Rose-coloured Starling but to no avail.
Nobody else has seen one either, but I’m convinced there much be one somewhere.
It’s been very hot and it has quietened down considerably bird-wise.
A couple of Gull-billed terns have been seen but no other news.
I hope to slog round the salt pans tomorrow before the heat of the day becomes unbearable.
Return migration begins very early. I had a great day at the Cap last year, at the very beginning of August so not too long to wait.
Mike

Last edited:
Attached is a map of the Rose-coloured Starling invasion into mainland Spain.
There simply has to be a few here in Mallorca, I cannot believe that this amount can have missed the Island altogether.
I, and many others, are continuing to search high and low without success.
Surely any day now?
Mike

Attachments

• 60F708AA-DDF5-4A41-B5B6-B400B1EA1ACA.jpeg
    60F708AA-DDF5-4A41-B5B6-B400B1EA1ACA.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 13
I drove to the botanic gardens in Ses Salines as I have seen Spotless starling there many times.
A group of 6 birds flew away from me into the bushes but not one of them looked remotely different.
I then went to the deadly quiet salt pans.
Lots of Marsh Harrier though and the usual common breeders but nothing else. I have seen many Tern species at Salobrar over the years but none today.
I’m sure this site will improve over the coming weeks with returning waders.
We will see.
Mike

I saw that a Marbled duck had been seen in Kent but it didn’t look like the real deal to me.
There are quite a few here around the Albufera Marsh so I thought it may be useful to post a few photos.
A couple of young birds are included too.
Hope it’s of some interest, besides, my bird alert hasn’t gone off once today, it’s the quietest time of the year, virtually nothing doing.
Mike

Attachments

• 4B85E741-07B7-4488-919A-CFEFD0482660.jpeg
    4B85E741-07B7-4488-919A-CFEFD0482660.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • B3B34F56-FFB2-4C24-92D8-F4CB2FD35550.jpeg
    B3B34F56-FFB2-4C24-92D8-F4CB2FD35550.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 0684F797-58CF-4386-B0CA-7C0BA9E483E4.jpeg
    0684F797-58CF-4386-B0CA-7C0BA9E483E4.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • C58774F7-D1F4-4A45-9249-BDE97D494772.jpeg
    C58774F7-D1F4-4A45-9249-BDE97D494772.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 21
Two Wood sandpipers reported at s’Albufera by Maties.
Phil saw a Gull-billed tern and Purple Heron there too.
I believe Pep and Maties managed the annual trek up Puig de Teix recently in search of Spectacled warbler and Rufous-tailed rock thrush.
There were successful with the warbler but not the thrush.
It appears that it was very cold and drizzly up there but maybe Pep will correct me if I’ve translated it incorrectly.
It’s now hot after the worst Sahara rain I’ve ever seen. Everything is covered in orange dust, so bad it’s impossible to see out of the windows.
I bet the car wash is doing a bomb, the queue was round the block.
Mike

Two Wood sandpipers reported at s’Albufera by Maties.
Phil saw a Gull-billed tern and Purple Heron there too.
I believe Pep and Maties managed the annual trek up Puig de Teix recently in search of Spectacled warbler and Rufous-tailed rock thrush.
There were successful with the warbler but not the thrush.
It appears that it was very cold and drizzly up there but maybe Pep will correct me if I’ve translated it incorrectly.
It’s now hot after the worst Sahara rain I’ve ever seen. Everything is covered in orange dust, so bad it’s impossible to see out of the windows.
I bet the car wash is doing a bomb, the queue was round the block.
Mike
Thanks for keeping the thread going Mike. It is much appreciated. We had a spot of Saharan weather here too, temperatures up to 33 or 34, but everything is back to normal now with rain and grey skies. By the way, I remember my encounter with marbled ducks at s'Albufera when I went there with you in January 2019 - you just said mater-of-factly, "There are some rarities for you", and pointed them out. That too was greatly appreciated! I hope we'll be back there soon, flights booked for 15 July. Keep up the good work!

The bird alert has fallen silent as will the Common swift swirling round our apartment at the moment.
They stay such a short time and it’s a sad day when they depart, like something is missing.
There are huge numbers in Mallorca as it is an abundant breeder.
Pallid swift stay a little longer and they can be seen in most coastal areas.
Alpine swift breed in very small numbers but they also pass through on migration.
Mike

I saw that a Marbled duck had been seen in Kent but it didn’t look like the real deal to me.
There are quite a few here around the Albufera Marsh so I thought it may be useful to post a few photos.
A couple of young birds are included too.
Hope it’s of some interest, besides, my bird alert hasn’t gone off once today, it’s the quietest time of the year, virtually nothing doing.
Mike
One's been doing the rounds of some of the South London parks recently.

Some news!
An Egyptian vulture has flown over Mondragó so it must have gone over my house.
Whilst I’m delighted for Cristina for sighting this scarce bird-of-prey, I’m also a bit miffed I didn’t get to add it to my balcony list.
What a magnificent bird it is, soaring in a perfect blue sky, guaranteed to set the pulse racing.
Also, Joan has photographed a juvenile Robin in Bunyola.
Again, the Robin is a very scarce breeder here in Mallorca.
Let’s hope this is the start of more things to come, it’s been very quiet indeed.
Mike

I don’t go to Mondragó as much as I used to.
There is now a paid car park and lots of parking restrictions.
It’s also very crowded in season so I stay away.
It’s a great area with lots of good birds and I used to go every day during migration times.
There are two torrents and lots of scope for rarities so I will try to pay it more attention in the coming weeks.
Mike

Hello all,
I`ve been a member on the forum for quite a while but so far I`ve never posted anything. So I thought it's about time that I did, so here we go.
I live in Mallorca in the lovely Colonia Valley, a couple of kilometers away from the old town of Pollensa. We have a large garden surrounded by fields and orchards; it's very peaceful and quiet. I`m very lucky really because I get to see lots of lovely birds in the garden.
So, here are a few photos that I`ve taken in the garden over the last few months. I`m not sure of the file size of the pics so I may have to send 2 lots? or reduce the file size, we`ll see.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1561 (2).JPG
    IMG_1561 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3602 (2).JPG
    IMG_3602 (2).JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    539.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9102.JPG
    IMG_9102.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Hi Phil and welcome to the Mallorca thread.
Some superb shots there.
Phil doesn’t mention that he found the Collard Flycatcher at s’aAlbefera this spring that so many birders were able to see, including myself.
Keep them coming Phil, photos are always appreciated as are reports of your days out here.
Mike

Hi Phil and welcome to the Mallorca thread.
Some superb shots there.
Phil doesn’t mention that he found the Collard Flycatcher at s’aAlbefera this spring that so many birders were able to see, including myself.
Keep them coming Phil, photos are always appreciated as are reports of your days out here.
Mike
Hi Mike

Not having been in Mallorca since 2013, have white headed duck been re introduced to S'Albufera in the intervening years?
I was there in 2004 and saw the only remaining male from a previous re introduction scheme.
Great to see marbled duck are doing well.

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back