• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

This morning at the Cap was a slight improvement but I have found that the second day after a storm is usually better in the south.
Up north there has been the predicted fall of warblers, chats and a Hobby too, reported by Maties.
I saw two adult Bonelli’s eagles quite close plus the juvenile earlier in the morning.
I logged two Marsh harrier leaving and a Black kite went strongly south and out to sea.
I will be there tomorrow to see if I can do better.
No sign of any Honey buzzard but they will be along any day now..he says hopefully.
Mike

This morning at the Cap was a slight improvement but I have found that the second day after a storm is usually better in the south.
Up north there has been the predicted fall of warblers, chats and a Hobby too, reported by Maties.
I saw two adult Bonelli’s eagles quite close plus the juvenile earlier in the morning.
I logged two Marsh harrier leaving and a Black kite went strongly south and out to sea.
I will be there tomorrow to see if I can do better.
No sign of any Honey buzzard but they will be along any day now..he says hopefully.
Mike
Honey buzzards are well know to wait for a large flock of bee eaters before they put in an appearance, Mike! ;)

Ha! I remember that day well derban.
Two White storks seen by Mabel yesterday flying over Salobrar.
Let’s hope they come past the Cap tomorrow.
I will be waiting.
A large movement of Honey buzzard through Spain today so I’m hoping to bag the first one of the season, with or without Bee-eaters.
Mike

I had my Albufera fix today, only my 3rd visit in the last 8 weeks; I've been busy building a chicken coup in the garden. All is now complete and the coop is occupied by 4 hens and a cockerel. So I can now get back to having my weekly birding day.
I had a great day today finding 56 species. The weather was as good as the birding; sunny but not too hot. Now that we are leaving August behind we can hopefully see the back of 37c to 40c temperatures.
Some of today`s notables were : Stone Curlew, Woodchat Shrike-juv, Marbled Duck, Firecrest, Glossy ibis, Kingfisher, Peregrine Falcon, Osprey, Spotted Redshank, Black Tailed Godwit, Little Stint, Ruff, Bee Eaters.

Attachments

• IMG_5314.JPG
    IMG_5314.JPG
    821.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5332.JPG
    IMG_5332.JPG
    743.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5416.JPG
    IMG_5416.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    554.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Nice photos Phil, I especially likes the Little stint.
Not sure if there are any Temminck’s up north but there are a few at Salobrar de Campos in the south.

I had a brief visit at Albufera on monday. No Temminck’s stint. Mostly wood sandpipers and probably the same little stint. We didn’t notice any bee eaters, are they still passing through?

Hi Vincent.
Lots of Bee-eaters have yet to pass through Mallorca, in fact I have seen none yet at the Cap where they are a very regular migrant, sometimes in large groups.
It is spectacular to see them spiraling around getting higher and then heading off to Africa, calling all the while.
Up north, they are likely to be seen in smaller groups but they should be around in various locations.
I wish you luck.
Speaking of which, I saw absolutely nothing at the Cap this morning, all very frustrating but there was a high wind which may have put paid to any raptor migration.
Mike

We went to Albufera and Depuradora today where we previously have had luck with bee eaters. Very few birds at both places. Four vultures and a booted eagle seen far away in the south from Depuradora, but nothing new really.

My theory about going to the Cap on days when I don’t go has just been confirmed by Juanjo who so far has seen 2 Hobby, several Marsh harrier and a magnificent Montagu’s harrier, and it’s still very early in the day.
I will give his totals later.
I have been every day for over two weeks, except one when Adolfo saw 24 Marsh harrier and also today when I promised to take my wife shopping as compensation for my absences.
There are many compensations about getting older. I no longer feel annoyed about missing birds and I am always happy when other people see good things.
In all my years of birding, I have never once wanted to give up.
It’s a wonderful hobby.
Mind you, if he sees the first Honey buzzard today, that might just be pushing it.
Mike

Last edited:
Well, we made it to the first shop and we were debating which new suitcase to buy, when my wife kindly pointed out that I was not really paying much attention to the matter in hand.
She then said with a sympathetic smile, “we had better get to the Cap then.”
I am constantly amazed at her understanding of my crazy hobby.
We arrived just as Juanjo was leaving.
I immediately saw three Bonelli’s eagles and a Marsh harrier left to the south. I then saw a probable Hobby but it was right in the sun so I can’t be sure. A Northern wheatear was in the field.
Just as an Eleonora’s falcon joined the three eagles, Jason appeared from further down the road. He stopped for a quick hello and he very soon pointed out a splendid male Montagu’s harrier going east.
A bit later we saw two Marsh harrier circling high. They were quickly joined by two more, and then a few more until the group swelled to 13. They all flew high to the south so it’s safe to assume they left the Island.
A large group of Bee-eaters flew west, as they nearly always do, and that concluded a very fine half-morning.
I treated Jane to good lunch after that, after all, I consider that I’m a very lucky bloke.
Mike

Well, we made it to the first shop and we were debating which new suitcase to buy, when my wife kindly pointed out that I was not really paying much attention to the matter in hand.
She then said with a sympathetic smile, “we had better get to the Cap then.”
I am constantly amazed at her understanding of my crazy hobby.
We arrived just as Juanjo was leaving.
I immediately saw three Bonelli’s eagles and a Marsh harrier left to the south. I then saw a probable Hobby but it was right in the sun so I can’t be sure. A Northern wheatear was in the field.
Just as an Eleonora’s falcon joined the three eagles, Jason appeared from further down the road. He stopped for a quick hello and he very soon pointed out a splendid male Montagu’s harrier going east.
A bit later we saw two Marsh harrier circling high. They were quickly joined by two more, and then a few more until the group swelled to 13. They all flew high to the south so it’s safe to assume they left the Island.
A large group of Bee-eaters flew west, as they nearly always do, and that concluded a very fine half-morning.
I treated Jane to good lunch after that, after all, I consider that I’m a very lucky bloke.
Mike
Well done – both of you!

A very enjoyable morning at the Cap with 52 Bee-eaters through and 10 Marsh harrier.
As always, a couple of raptors went through that I wasn’t sure about. The birds were very high today and often in the sun so hard to pin down.
The action doesn’t seem to get going until after 11am but I’m always there early hoping for a surprise.
Mike

Attachments

• 13C1D7F3-613A-4EF0-83DD-A88551086EFC.jpeg
    13C1D7F3-613A-4EF0-83DD-A88551086EFC.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 30
  • CC59CCF9-6E9F-4C6F-95F1-3A909EE55892.jpeg
    CC59CCF9-6E9F-4C6F-95F1-3A909EE55892.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 31
  • F35EE20E-EAB6-49D6-8ECC-6532446B25BE.jpeg
    F35EE20E-EAB6-49D6-8ECC-6532446B25BE.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 8173C94D-670F-4485-8A9E-7DA5E7E7E443.jpeg
    8173C94D-670F-4485-8A9E-7DA5E7E7E443.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 32
It was nice to have some company at the Cap today.
When I arrived, Lalo had already seen a Greater flamingo out at sea and 2 Marsh harriers left early.
Bee-eaters were everywhere and the day total was 118.
A further 4 Marsh harrier went south, an Osprey left as well. 2 Kestrels and 5 Grey heron followed and a Hobby was present. Throw in a few Barn swallows and Pallid and Common swift, and the day was satisfactory if not overwhelming.
That will probably come tomorrow as I won’t be there, I’m going out on a boat for the day.
I bet they have a right old bonanza.
We are still waiting for the first Honey buzzard to appear, they are very late this year.
I will be reading the messages with interest and probably envy as I stare out to sea contemplating.
I have never understood what the appeal of huge day boats is. They cost a fortune to buy and run, and when you finally get out to sea, there is nothing there! Except sea I suppose.
I have been banned from bringing rotting fish on board to attract seabirds. I can’t say I blame them, the stench turns the stomachs of even the hardiest of sailors.
I will post totals tomorrow.
Mike

4 Honey buzzard through the Cap this morning.
18 Marsh harrier, an Osprey and a Hobby.
I have only just looked at the news, I didn’t want to spoil my day out on a boat. I didn’t see any birds but I have to admit, it was lots of fun.
Mike

I am back home now. It was a rather quiet week so we ended up mostly on the beach, as I was there with family who are not as keen on birdwatching as I am. Having the osprey close to one of the hides at Albufera was fun to see.

Attachments

• DSC_0676.JPG
    DSC_0676.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 10
Glad you had a good time here Vincent. It has been a bit quiet but things will be hotting up soon no doubt.
I had a very sneaky one hour twenty minutes at the Cap this morning and saw two Honey buzzard circling over the pine trees but I didn’t see them leave.
Then a juvenile Montagu’s harrier passed overhead, gaining height as it went.
It left to the south.
I will be back there in the morning.
Mike

Attachments

• 41E372E8-C9C6-45E8-B41A-54ACA7B2915F.jpeg
    41E372E8-C9C6-45E8-B41A-54ACA7B2915F.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 27
A very nice morning spent at the Cap with Phil.A. and Phil.G.
All the action was early on.
A lone flamingo was seen flying out at sea together with a few Scopoli’s and one Balearic shearwater.
On the way down, I saw two Honey buzzard low over the pine trees, I assume the same birds as the day before. We didn’t see them leave. It is not unusual to see Honey buzzard in the pines down near the Cap, they often roost overnight and leave the next day but we didn’t see them go.
A male Marsh harrier left for Africa followed by another male soon after.
3 Grey heron left.
Then a group of 13 Greater flamingoes came from the east, over our heads and on to Salobrar.
Soon after, another group did the same but this time there were 23 birds.
We saw a Willow warbler in the lighthouse garden and then the Bee-eaters came, one group of 11 quickly followed by another 39.
An Osprey came over and out to sea and a total of 38 Barn swallows left.
Then it all went quiet which is strange because the hours after midday have been the best recently but there was nothing.
Mike

Yes Mike, an excellent morning spent at the Cap, it was wonderful to watch the Flamingos fly over in a V formation. I also picked up 2 new species for my year list while we were there; Scopoli's Shearwater and a Willow Warbler.
When we left the Cap Phil Garnett and I went on to the Salobrar De Campos. We had a look first at the salt pans adjacent to the very busy lane leading to Es Trenc. There were lots of waders around: B/W Stilt, Avocet, Dunlin, Stints - Little and Temminck's, Little Ringed and Ringed Plovers, Wood Sandpiper.
We then drove to the Fontsanta hotel, parked up and walked down Eddies track to the old salt pans where we found: Curlew, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Lots of Yellow Wagtails. We also counted 350 Flamingos; this was probably a conservative count because there would have been others tucked away behind the scrub and foliage covering the islets and pathways.
So a good day was had, lots of birds and a good variety of species.

Phil A.

Attachments

• IMG_5571.JPG
    IMG_5571.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5575.JPG
    IMG_5575.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
Just taking a look through this thread as I'll likely be in Mallorca in about 10-12 days time.

Mike when you refer to the Cap do you refer to Cap de Formentor or Cap de ses Salines?

Cheers,
Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back