• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

This is a v. useful forum! Not sure if this is the place to post this but I'm arriving in Mallorca tomorrow and staying in a villa near Pollenca. I've been birding on the island before on three occasions during holidays, so only a few days popping out. Given the recent weather patterns, are there any birding spots that would be particularly good to visit or avoid so I can make the most of my time? Thanks in advance.
Do you have a car or are you reliant on public transport?

Maristany seems to be performing well with some Mediterranean gulls there together with a Slender-billed gull.
No news on the Red-flanked bluetail, the hide was occupied for the whole day I believe so it may not have survived the night or it may have moved on.
I believe Kevin saw a Hawfinch and a Siskin so there is some compensation for going.
Mike

I took shelter from the strong winds in the Son Real hide this afternoon. I was hoping to see Hawfinch, Siskin or even Redwing. No show from any of these winter visitors but my disappointment soon turned to joy when a fine Red flanked bluetail appeared giving excellent views. I was there for 3 hrs and it showed 4 times during that time.
Also there .... Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Reed bunting, Serin, Blackcap, Great tit, Chiffchaff, Crossbill, Song Thrush, Blackbird and Robin.
Wow. Amazing find for the island.
Ironically I have been watching one of these at Flamboro this morning.
Stunning birds 👍

I was reading about the Flamborough bird, with a Taiga flycatcher nearby I believe.
Incredible duo.
I’m sure there is something else here too with those very strong north-easterlies, some Yellow-browed warblers and a long shot of a Pallas’ warbler. That would be nice. Not impossible either.
Mike

I was at the Son Real Hide from about 10:00-16:00 but no sign of the Bluetail. Kevin was there before me and Pep arrived shortly before I left. Good to meet Mike Swiss at last. Only one Hawfinch in the trees, but lots of Goldfinch, Serin, Greenfinch, Crossbill, and Firecrest, Siskin, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Chiff-chaff, Robin made an appearance.

Attachments

• Crossbill_4857.jpg
    Crossbill_4857.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 14
  • Crossbill_4930.jpg
    Crossbill_4930.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Goldfinch_4911.jpg
    Goldfinch_4911.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Goldfinch_4992.jpg
    Goldfinch_4992.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Siskin_4878.jpg
    Siskin_4878.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 13
Hi Clive
Good to see your quality photos once more, I hope you are keeping well.
Shame the bluetail was a one-day bird.
Maybe there is another one out there somewhere.
All the best,
Mike

Great to meet you Clive. Hope to run into you again.
Wow your photos are awesome. My Brownlee 127 lets me down.
Still very unpleasant weather up North. Strong winds and Rain.
Much of the area around S’Albuferata is flooded and its difficult to get to the tower and hide at the moment.
On a positive note, flocks of small birds are drinking in the pond waters, mainly Meadow pipits, White Wagtails and Serins, while Marsh harriers, Kestrels and Ospreys are hunting for their prey.
Stone Curlews, White, Little and Cattle Egrets, still hunked down.
A few young Flamingos seen in the distance.
Maybe the weather will turn for the best.
Lets see what Michael (Fish) Montier predicts!

Attachments

• A4BBC137-642A-4E2B-BC2E-9E1CE6380053.jpeg
    A4BBC137-642A-4E2B-BC2E-9E1CE6380053.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 18
  • 3E129DB5-0344-4739-B809-B53508DB7DA5.jpeg
    3E129DB5-0344-4739-B809-B53508DB7DA5.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 4AAE9F86-456A-4083-922B-6E384745FAE6.jpeg
    4AAE9F86-456A-4083-922B-6E384745FAE6.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 47DA0319-65C7-4D73-AADD-1F8C613C480B.jpeg
    47DA0319-65C7-4D73-AADD-1F8C613C480B.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 17
  • 0D2D330A-4C38-44FD-9414-463086C193C8.jpeg
    0D2D330A-4C38-44FD-9414-463086C193C8.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 16
  • F432F3EC-33E2-491F-8DCE-BCF6D256115E.jpeg
    F432F3EC-33E2-491F-8DCE-BCF6D256115E.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 9537DCE7-B27F-45C8-832D-F2A0A1187728.jpeg
    9537DCE7-B27F-45C8-832D-F2A0A1187728.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 16
I have car
I've just returned from a 10 day visit, staying at my apartment at Port de Pollenca. The weather on the first 5 days was very pleasant, warm, calm and sunny. Things then took a turn for the worse with strong winds, falling temperatures and very heavy rain. If you've arrived today you can expect a further period of unsettled weather. The upside for birding is that it can stir things up and typical of Mallorca, rarities and scare birds can turn up. The last week has produced snow bunting at Felanitx, Iberian shrike at Villafranca, Mediterranean gulls and slender billed gull at Maristany and Red flanked bluetail at Son Real. Siskin, brambling and hawfinch are also returning and a little gull was seen at th Depuradora today. All the sites along the bays of Pollenca and Alcudia are worth a look; Albufereta, Maristany, Albufera, Depuradora and Son Real. I also visited the south of the island, Cap de ses Salines and the salt pans at Salobra de Campos. Both were very quiet but with this unsettled weather you never know what might turn up and where. Good luck

Thanks David, that just about sums it up. Some really good birds have appeared recently and there are more to come with this unsettled weather.
A Sunday walk down into the valley at Lluc would be worth a go.
As well as the chance of seeing Redwing, Hawfinch and Brambling, it is also one of the best walks on the Island with Vultures constantly soaring overhead, displaying Booted eagles and the occasional Sparrowhawk.
Mike

Today, with a miserable wind (almos hurricane) and rain, Maties discovered a little gull at the Depuradora, i went in the afternoon and it was still there, it is a lovely little bird, and so difficult to see the late years in Majorca.
It was super difficult to get some pic because the strong wind and the erratic flight of the little gull.
A lovely little bird.

Attachments

• 124 MinutusReidora.jpg
    124 MinutusReidora.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 133 minutus.jpg
    133 minutus.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 210 Gavino.jpg
    210 Gavino.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi Clive
Good to see your quality photos once more, I hope you are keeping well.
Shame the bluetail was a one-day bird.
Maybe there is another one out there somewhere.
All the best,
Mike
Thanks Mike, I see you have got to grips with your camera gear, you are producing some cracking photos!
Hope to see you again soon, but judging by the the weather forecast I'll be keeping my head down for the next few days!
Shame about the Bluetail. I was here when Christina found the last one at La Gola, and a few people got to see that one, but it was just after the Flood (not the biblical one!) and my car had been desroyed so I had no transport to go and see it.

I've just returned from a 10 day visit, staying at my apartment at Port de Pollenca. The weather on the first 5 days was very pleasant, warm, calm and sunny. Things then took a turn for the worse with strong winds, falling temperatures and very heavy rain. If you've arrived today you can expect a further period of unsettled weather. The upside for birding is that it can stir things up and typical of Mallorca, rarities and scare birds can turn up. The last week has produced snow bunting at Felanitx, Iberian shrike at Villafranca, Mediterranean gulls and slender billed gull at Maristany and Red flanked bluetail at Son Real. Siskin, brambling and hawfinch are also returning and a little gull was seen at th Depuradora today. All the sites along the bays of Pollenca and Alcudia are worth a look; Albufereta, Maristany, Albufera, Depuradora and Son Real. I also visited the south of the island, Cap de ses Salines and the salt pans at Salobra de Campos. Both were very quiet but with this unsettled weather you never know what might turn up and where. Good luck
Thanks, Dave. I'll try the places you suggest between the rain showers. Is Albufera reserve fully accessible do you know?

Today, with a miserable wind (almos hurricane) and rain, Maties discovered a little gull at the Depuradora, i went in the afternoon and it was still there, it is a lovely little bird, and so difficult to see the late years in Majorca.
It was super difficult to get some pic because the strong wind and the erratic flight of the little gull.
A lovely little bird.
Super photos Pep, you did extremely well considering the wind conditions!

Thanks, Dave. I'll try the places you suggest between the rain showers. Is Albufera reserve fully accessible do you know?
Albufera is accessible as far as I know but it is susceptible to heavy rains flooding the paths. Just after I arrived they advised not to visit as some of the tracks were under water. This continuing heavy rain cannot help

Shame about the Bluetail. I was here when Christina found the last one at La Gola, and a few people got to see that one, but it was just after the Flood (not the biblical one!) and my car had been desroyed so I had no transport to go and see it.
Hi Clive
I found the first Bluetail at 2017 in Comuna de Bunyola, I saw in 2018 the second one found by Cristina at la Gola (Pt. Pollença) and yesterday i hope to see my third one.
But i failed trying to be the only mediterranean birder who has seen 3 Bluetails!!!;);)

The atrocious weather continues unabated making birding a bit of a miserable affair.
I couldn’t stand these four walls a moment longer so I drove up north with Jane in the hopes that the Little gull would have stayed.
We arrived at the depuradora just as Phil.A. and Kevin were emerging from their cars having taken shelter during a big downpour.
The good news was that the gull was still there and it performed right in front of us for the duration of our stay.
It was in flight the whole time and never settled.
The boys then left to meet Phil.G. at Albufera but Jane and I sought the comfort of a hot coffee and and a burger.
We then went to Maristany where many Mediterranean gulls were present. I began to look for the Slender-billed gull when the heavens opened so I made for the car.
I don’t remember so many consecutive days of such dreadful weather. Lots more days of it to come I understand.
The dark weather made photography very difficult.
Mike

Attachments

• 4D484CE0-7202-472E-A4F4-7D1096186493.jpeg
    4D484CE0-7202-472E-A4F4-7D1096186493.jpeg
    610 KB · Views: 11
  • F6F9ED46-1D03-4103-8CB4-9B6D3F579BAB.jpeg
    F6F9ED46-1D03-4103-8CB4-9B6D3F579BAB.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 12
  • D3DED331-FF92-4ABF-9955-119FAB676991.jpeg
    D3DED331-FF92-4ABF-9955-119FAB676991.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 11
  • 28E1A012-A63D-4E02-87F2-83618C88A504.jpeg
    28E1A012-A63D-4E02-87F2-83618C88A504.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
Just to underline what Mike had to say about the weather, it really has been appalling all week and is set to continue☹️ Luckily the birds aren't as wimpy as us humans and they carry on regardless. And so we had great views of the Little Gull at the Depuradora.
When Kevin Hughes, Phil Garnet and I arrived at the new Sa Roca hide at the Albufera, we were met with an Osprey perched on the Reed fence, just 2mtrs away from the door to the hide! We opened the hide door and went in under the gaze of the Osprey, it never budged.
From the hide we found Meadow and Water pipits, loads of Teal and Lapwing, Grey Heron. Sadly, because of the depth of water, no small waders.
We left the hide, Osprey still in place, and gave the other Sa Roca hides a miss ( it was more of the same). We crossed over the main canal bridge , heading for Es Cibollars 1 hide. We had a peek at the drainage channel on the left, just before turning right to the lane leading down to the. hide. All three of us had previously found Little bittern at this spot, we were in luck, there it was, but only a brief view as it flew into the reeds.
As we reached the Es Cibollars hide the heavens opened again and we were glad of the shelter. Kevin spotted a male Hen Harrier quartering over the reeds behind the lagoon/scrape. Lovely bird but too distant for a photo but great to see. We had to wait for quite a while for the rain to subside so that we could head off back home.
As we walked back through the visitors centre Phil Garnet spotted 3 Siskin. It would have been great to get a photo but by this time it was raining again. So the camera had to stay in it`s bag. We walked on passing the path leading to the new Sa Roca hide. I had to go and have a look. The Osprey was still perched next to the hide, amazing.
Terrible weather but still a good day out.

Attachments

• IMG_6947.JPG
    IMG_6947.JPG
    761.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6951.JPG
    IMG_6951.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6894 (2).JPG
    IMG_6894 (2).JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6921.JPG
    IMG_6921.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 19
Just to underline what Mike had to say about the weather, it really has been appalling all week and is set to continue☹️ Luckily the birds aren't as wimpy as us humans and they carry on regardless. And so we had great views of the Little Gull at the Depuradora.
When Kevin Hughes, Phil Garnet and I arrived at the new Sa Roca hide at the Albufera, we were met with an Osprey perched on the Reed fence, just 2mtrs away from the door to the hide! We opened the hide door and went in under the gaze of the Osprey, it never budged.
From the hide we found Meadow and Water pipits, loads of Teal and Lapwing, Grey Heron. Sadly, because of the depth of water, no small waders.
We left the hide, Osprey still in place, and gave the other Sa Roca hides a miss ( it was more of the same). We crossed over the main canal bridge , heading for Es Cibollars 1 hide. We had a peek at the drainage channel on the left, just before turning right to the lane leading down to the. hide. All three of us had previously found Little bittern at this spot, we were in luck, there it was, but only a brief view as it flew into the reeds.
As we reached the Es Cibollars hide the heavens opened again and we were glad of the shelter. Kevin spotted a male Hen Harrier quartering over the reeds behind the lagoon/scrape. Lovely bird but too distant for a photo but great to see. We had to wait for quite a while for the rain to subside so that we could head off back home.
As we walked back through the visitors centre Phil Garnet spotted 3 Siskin. It would have been great to get a photo but by this time it was raining again. So the camera had to stay in it`s bag. We walked on passing the path leading to the new Sa Roca hide. I had to go and have a look. The Osprey was still perched next to the hide, amazing.
Terrible weather but still a good day out.
Amazing stuff Phil. Are you sure the osprey isn't stuffed?;):ROFLMAO: Hope it stays for the next four weeks till I'm back! By which time I am hoping the weather will have calmed down a bit. Fingers crossed.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back