• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (2 Viewers)

A lovely morning spent at Cap de Ses Salines on this sunny but cold day, stopping at passage 5 on the way down. There I saw 7 Song Thrush and 2 Mistle Thrush which are much less common.
The sea looked very quiet but after scanning for some time, the birds began to pass by.
A total of 7 Northern gannet was a good number. One plunging gannet disturbed a Balearic shearwaters and I saw another shearwater a bit later.
I locked on to a distant species of large Tern. The only real possibility at this time of the year is Sandwich Tern but it looked more gull-like and less elegant.
As I enjoyed the morning so much, I thought I would go a couple of times a week so I may see it again.
I was very surprised by the lack of raptors on such a fine day, just one each of Red kite, Peregrine and Booted Eagle.
It’s a beautiful place for a coastal walk and at this most southerly point of Mallorca, it’s often full of surprises.
Mike

Hi friends,
Michael says I can post my photos of birds in Ibiza on this page, so although I don't have anything rare and exotic, you might like the Heron I photographed earlier this week.

Attachments

• Grey Heron 2_0347.jpg
    Grey Heron 2_0347.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Heron beak _0323_edited-1.jpg
    Heron beak _0323_edited-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Nice photos Garth. All photos taken in the Balearics are welcome as they help us to know what is being seen and where.
Some ultra rare birds were seen at the tail end of last year so you never know.
Mike

The first Barn Swallow has been seen at Albufereta by Jason.
I read that Great Spotted cuckoos were being recorded through the straits of Gibraltar.
It would be nice to see another one of those beauties.
Cap de Ses Salines is a good place so I will be going there as much as I can.
Mike

Happy New Year to all on here. And it is good to see you here Garth! I love the portrait of the heron's beak! Mike, it seems to be a little quiet here, understandably enough. Here are one or two photos I took yesterday at the Salobrar. As usual, it feels wonderful to be here. So peaceful, except for the shooters blasting away at the wildlife nearby, and the lovely late afternoon sunshine is a tonic after the unrelenting grey of north Germany. Mallorca0121-89-2.jpgMallorca0121-93.jpgMallorca0121-98.jpg

Very good photos derban and welcome back to Mallorca.
Shame about the hunters, I have not much idea what they shoot at this time of the year but I believe thrushes are a target for the gun.
Perhaps we will bump into you on one of our walks.
Enjoy the sunshine.
Mike

Thank you Martin. That’s a relief in a way, it’s illegal hunting that makes my blood boil and happily, it seems very rare here in Mallorca. I hope I’m not being naive.

I hobbled up to Bunyola and beyond today but I couldn’t make it all the way to Orient where the Pine bunting and Yellowhammers are still showing.
The scenery is breathtaking and it was a beautiful calm, sunny day.
It was bliss. Bunyola itself is a charming small village with magnificent views afforded to the lucky people who live there.
A Black vulture drifted overhead and the countryside was full of birdsong.
I couldn’t ask for a better day.
Mike

Attachments

• 24C4F32E-38E6-4E90-8A27-783D2DF1C6B4.jpeg
    24C4F32E-38E6-4E90-8A27-783D2DF1C6B4.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 15
Mike, that was a great morning at the Cape. Gannets, Balearic shearwaters and Sandwich terns - I have raced up to 37 on my year list now. Galloping away. ;) These guys came close enough to be photographed, I like the markings on the juvenile gull. No rarities of course but they rounded off a very enjoyable morning with glorious sun and excellent chat. The wind needn't have been quite so bracing though.

Mallorca0121-159.jpgMallorca0121-216.jpgMallorca0121-276.jpg

It was a bit bracing!
Nice photos as always derban and a very enjoyable morning.
The Tern species I saw last Thursday was most like a Caspian Tern. I saw two there in the autumn, but it was very distant.
A Caspian Tern has been seen in Ibiza so I have little doubt that this was the bird I saw, especially as it flew strongly from the Cap in that direction. I got two photos but it’s hard to even say it’s a bird, let alone ID it.
Mike

The sea was nice and calm this evening so I decided to seawatch.
98 Balearic shearwaters passed by, all going south.
They were close in which was just as well as I was watching from my balcony in Porto Petro.
The numbers will now begin to build up so I will be keeping regular counts from now on.
I got some new bird clickers for Christmas so they had their first outing. Right hand for Balearic and left for Scopoli’s.
I didn’t need the left one though, Scopoli’s are absent at this time of the year. The first ones I saw last year were not until 20th February.
Mike

Speaking of balconies, when I went outside tonight, all the memories of lockdown came flooding back.
It was a very difficult time for so many of us but it did have some compensations. I guess I was lucky being able to see the mountains and the sea but I did have many days seeing virtually nothing.
There were highlights though with 18 new species for my balcony list, two of which were new to Mallorca for me.
I was in touch with many other birders throughout the Island and between us all, it was a very revealing exercise, especially as it was during spring migration.
I guess I am preparing myself for a repeat performance if Mallorca decides to go into full lockdown again.
Let’s hope not though,
I hope everyone is keeping well,
Mike

When I said yesterday the number of Balearic shearwaters would begin to build up, I never expected an explosion.
331 flew south past my balcony tonight.
There is nothing much else out there, just a few shag and some local gulls. Occasionally, a Gannet flies through.
I will have to wait for those monster Great skuas to appear, I do love seeing them.
There will also be some viz mig soon with hirundines coming in off and the odd surprise.
Watching the sea you just never know what’s going to happen next.
Mike

I saw a brown heap in our field this afternoon – through the binoculars I saw it was clearly a bird, a massive crop of my photos revealed it to be a booted eagle on the ground with feathers protruding – light grey ones, not its own. Then it turned its head up and to the left, where a dark speck in the sky turned out to be a second booted eagle; the one on the ground had obviously clocked the one flying above and wanted to make sure it wasn't having any of the booty. Foolishly I tried to get closer and spooked the one on the ground. The images of it flying away were not sharp but it was clearly carrying what I think was a pigeon.

untitled-379.jpguntitled-389.jpguntitled-416.jpg

I saw a brown heap in our field this afternoon – through the binoculars I saw it was clearly a bird, a massive crop of my photos revealed it to be a booted eagle on the ground with feathers protruding – light grey ones, not its own. Then it turned its head up and to the left, where a dark speck in the sky turned out to be a second booted eagle; the one on the ground had obviously clocked the one flying above and wanted to make sure it wasn't having any of the booty. Foolishly I tried to get closer and spooked the one on the ground. The images of it flying away were not sharp but it was clearly carrying what I think was a pigeon.

View attachment 1364885View attachment 1364886View attachment 1364887
It´s always nice to see raptors doing this. I have sen it many timees when for example Northern goshawk are covering booty with their wings from birds flying above like crows. In the past we had carrions to help eagles during winter season but there was other birds eating there like Northern goshawk and once I saw a goshawk sitting on a 100 kilos pig try to cover it with the wings with the head facing up to the sky. It looked funny and didn´t make sense.

A visit to the Public Finca at Son Real today was just as good as always. It is a terrific place to visit at any time of the year. There is a bit of everything. Some pine woods, open cultivated fields, areas of scrub with heather and best of all, an long stretch of unspoilt coastline with rocky outcrops.
There are calls for this area to be declared a special site for preservation, a natural park. I fully support this, much of the coastline has been developed of course but it is also important to preserve this beautiful part of Mallorca. I hope it happens.
Birds can be eye-popping but sadly not today. I have seen some crackers over the years. The area is noted for wintering Siskin, Hawfinch and Dunnock. Red-legged partridges are abundant, thrushes adorn the fields in winter. The coastline provides one of the best places to see Whimbrel. Turnstones, Sanderling and Kentish plovers are plentiful. I have seen Red-breasted Merganser close in.
Tawny Pipit summers and Thekla larks are present all year.
Stone Curlew, Barn owl and Hoopoe all show up regularly.
Balearic and Dartford warblers are there too but not always easy to see.
My best memories are of good numbers of Hawfinch seen up close from the hide.
A visit is highly recommended.
Mike

Attachments

• 51443AC7-F958-4EF9-9187-268D7C3BA19D.jpeg
    51443AC7-F958-4EF9-9187-268D7C3BA19D.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 7
My preparations for another lockdown by recalling my balcony watching exploits was seemingly not misplaced.
There is a call from medics for a two week complete lockdown because hospitals are overwhelmed at the moment.
I will advise.
Mike

I forgot to say that I saw three Red Admiral butterfly at Son Real today, a real touch of spring was in the air.
Quite a few species of Wild flower were out and bits of almond blossom here and there.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back