• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

What a great series of photos derban. I wonder if it caught that tempting insect.

Rock sparrows still at passage 5, Ses Salines as reported by Biel and Juanjo.
Also a Black Kite there.
Black kites start coming through the Island very early but I have always seen them at this site throughout the winter so it’s hard to tell.
Just seen my first Barn owl of the year, they are quite regularly seen around my manor. Beautiful birds as they float past, completely silently. Magic.
Mike

Another trip to Palma, walking along the promenade in the hopes of seeing some scarce gulls but no luck.
Six Turnstones kept my interest but three White Storks in a nearby field in El Molinar were the star birds of the day.
Mike

Attachments

• C00DD408-A473-430B-89D3-EE3FD87D8ECB.jpeg
    C00DD408-A473-430B-89D3-EE3FD87D8ECB.jpeg
    990.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 73E51B8F-7F5A-42AB-8475-21845D3064FA.jpeg
    73E51B8F-7F5A-42AB-8475-21845D3064FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
786 Balearic shearwaters going south in just one hour tonight. At least 4 Yelkoan type went through, there were probably more but it’s hard to tell from my balcony unless the birds are seen in with the groups of Balearics.
Also one adult Gannet, one Peregrine and a minimum of 7 dolphin species moving south.
Mike

Yellowhammers are still being seen here and there.
Considering that it is still an official rarity in Mallorca, this year must have broken all records.
I think the first one was seen by Mirella in Cala d’Or, then Biel found five or so near Galatzó followed by a large group in Orient. Numbers varied but up to 20 were reported. Two have recently been seen in Santa Ponça.
I have been walking many parts of the Island recently and there are many very suitable sites where few birders would ever go so I can’t even guess at how many came during the invasion.
I find invasive species fascinating because you just never know which species will be next.
It’s a pity though that this year there are virtually no reports of Hawfinch or Brambling, they add a splash of excitement during winter birding.
Mike

A long walk through Parc Llevant today was worth it just to watch the displaying Booted Eagles. What a wonderful sight.
Not many other birds seen as I was focused on watching where I was going up the very rocky paths. It was a good reminder of why I don’t venture up many mountains any more. It was quite treacherous in places. There are about ten different walks there with some spectacular views. It’s a great day out.
On my evening seawatch I saw a good number of Northern Gannet, 7 in total, all adults except for one sub-adult.
Dolphins were breaching the water almost constantly, I don’t know how many in total but certainly double figures, more than normal.
A fitting end to a great day.
Mike

Yes, itcan be treacherous. I twisted my right knee on a walk there. It still gives me problems. Lovely place, though.
Martin

Mike, on Monday you posted that lovely image of the stork – and yesterday evening, local TV here in Hamburg reported the first stork of spring had been sighted . I think that's very early, especially after the severe weather they had here over the past couple of weeks!

It may well have been wintering not as far away as one might think Derban, despite the recent freeze I think some German-ringed birds have stayed in Switzerland this winter.

It may well have been wintering not as far away as one might think Derban, despite the recent freeze I think some German-ringed birds have stayed in Switzerland this winter.
Thank you for the info Richard. Not sure whether I would prefer not flying so far to stay in Switzerland or going all the way and getting some African sunshine! If I were a stork, that is.

A brief visit to the salt pans, chasing Common crane, but none were present. A large group was seen in flight at the weekend so I hoped they may have settled at nearby Sa Barrala.
At the pans a lonely Grey plover was a year tick, a few Dunlin were around together with good numbers of Avocet and many greater Flamingoes.
No sign of any hirundines which I was expecting but the rain was heavy and it was a grey old day.
I will go at dusk later this week to watch the raptor roost, always entertaining.
Mike

Hi Mike, could it be that the cranes were leaving Mallorca? Yesterday we had unseasonably warm weather here in Hamburg: + 17°C and a cloudless sky, after -10°C a week ago! So we were just putting up the barbecue for lunch on the patio when we heard the unmistakable sound of cranes – a flock of about 30 or so circling directly above our house, then heading off northeastwards. A fantastic sight. The weather map showed strong winds from the south, even with a prediction of Sahara dust in north Germany, so perhaps that had helped migration on its way?

Hi derban.
I think as there were so few sightings of Common crane in Mallorca this winter, they were probably just flying through on their way north.
If a large number had been wintering here, they would surely have been seen.
I think the Sahara dust has all been dumped in Mallorca, I have never known it be so bad. It was impossible to see out of my car windows this morning.
Let’s hope some nice migrants came with the Sahara winds.
Mike

Some wonderful news just in, received from the director of s’Albufera. The park is to be increased by 24% around the outer boundaries to further protect this outstanding nature reserve. I will post further details and I will give a link to their Facebook page so that anyone interested can view the new area.
Great to receive this marvelous news in such gloomy times.
Mike

Yes, unfortunate Martin.
I’m not big on the correct pronunciations of words but just for the record, s’Albufera is pronounced:
“Sa bufera “, the “L” being silent.
I’m looking forward to the improvement to the quality of the water that the expansion will provide.
It’s such good news when much of what I read about is the destruction of habitat and wildlife.
Refreshing.
Mike

Thanks David for posting the link so that Mallorca fans can see the full details.
We had a walk around Porreres today, climbing up to the monastery.
A Peregrine flew in low and Booted Eagles were seen close-up. What a delightful small Eagle this species is and when good views are obtained, it’s possible to enjoy them all the more.
No other news yet today but plenty of migration is just on the horizon.
Mike

I’m due to visit the salt pans tomorrow evening for the raptor roost but Jason beat me to it.
He saw both male and female Hen Harrier so that’s certainly something to look forward to.
I will of course report.
A few hirundines in today so I will be watching out for them too.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back