• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (2 Viewers)

Day 6 of our rainy trip. More rain but also high winds today - can't believe it. Ventured out to the southern end of S'Albufereta - Sa Gola. Nothing very exciting from the viewing platform - the usual Cormorants, egrets and duck. From the hide; 12 Greenshank, 15 Black-Winged Stilt, two Great Crested Grebe, two Little Grebe, an Audouin's Gull, Marsh Harrier and Mallards. In and around the clump of trees birds included; Stonechat, many Meadow Pipits, a surprisingly large number of Chiffchaff and Serins. Tomorrow is our last day and the forecast continues to be heavy rain and winds. Seven straight days of rain - hey ho! We have literally only seen the sun twice - what a shocker!! Just bad luck I guess.

Attachments

• 9W6A2070.jpg
    9W6A2070.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 9
Yes, so sorry. I’ve never known the weather to be so bad for so long at this time of the year.
The sun really does shine here!. November can be such a lovely month too.
I do hope if you ever come back, the weather will be kinder to you.
Two Jack snipe have been reported at s’Albufera but I’m not sure exactly where.
Mike

Brilliant Pep!
My most wanted bird.
There was an influx in Holland a few years ago..US birds being carried across the ocean on Ships!
This is more than likely from North Europe following Storms
Congratulations!

Brilliant Pep!
My most wanted bird.
There was an influx in Holland a few years ago..US birds being carried across the ocean on Ships!
Congratulations!
Personally I suspect they left a ship, at least one looked to have oil/grease on its plumage and the site sticks out into the sea- although the Med has had some rough weather recently most of the rest of Europe has had a quiet period, I wonder if an isotope analysis on the one that died would show a nearctic origin……

Brilliant Pep!
My most wanted bird.
Congratulations!
Hi,
I guess maybe they are from North America, finally there was 3 Snow owls in the area of Asturias, one died, another was seen and photografied just one time and the third is this young male who is seen these last weekend; so propably it was a ship that brought them to Europe and when the owls saw land they flew them and disembarked.
But it is just a theory
Regards

I've just returned to the U,K. after spending 12 days on Mallorca. I can honestly say that in 25 years of visiting the island I have never experienced such a prolonged spell of bad weather. Despite the torrential rain and gale force winds I did manage to get out and about and did manage to see some good birds.
My first day was spent on the central plain near Villa Franca where a Southern Grey Shrike has been lingering for a few weeks now. I managed to locate it and had good scope views. There has been a Grey Shrike wintering in this area for at least 3 years. Possibly the same bird? On day 2 I was at the Depuradura where I had Wood, Green and Common sandpiper, Snipe, Black tailed godwit, Black winged stilt, Little and Cattle egret, Shellduck, Shoveller, Marbled duck, Teal, Mallard, Little grebe, Coot, Moorhen, White Wagtail, Water pipit, Chiffchaff, Cetti's and Fantailed warblers, Robin, Song Thrush, Audouins, Yellow legged and Black headed gulls, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Kestrel, Crag martins and Swallows. From here I intended to spend the rest of the day at S'Albufera. I only managed to reach the visitor centre when I receved a text telling me a Snow Bunting had been found at Felanitx cemetery. I quickly made back to my car and then arranged to meet up with Dave, Phil and Mike S. who where at the Grey shrike site. We then headed off to Felanitx together, We found the cemetery and I must say, that as far as cemeteries go, this really is a beautifully kept place and the four of us wandering around with binoculars and cameras did seem a little irreverent. After searching for 10 minutes or so all we had seen were Black Redstarts when we were joined by local birder Patrick who eventually spotted the bird. The Snow Bunting was very confiding and offered us great photo opportunities before we left it in peace. From here we called in at Petra which is usually a reliable winter site for Tree sparrows but unfortunately they weren't there.
Day 3. I was joined by Dave at Son Real where we spent the first hour or so in the hide, there wasn't much activity here with only Greenfinch. Goldfinch. Serin and Firecrest seen. From here we decided to walk along the beach to Son Serra. We only made it half way when the storm blew in. The pair of us took what shelter we could but we were both drenched to the bone. We only managed to see Shag , Kentish plover, Turnstone, Dunlin, Thekla lark, Sardinian warbler, Stonechat and the usual gulls before we made our escape. Lots of Song thrushes seen on the walk back to the cars and a pair of Hoopoes on the drive out.
Due to the bad weather and other commitments I wasn't able to venture out again until day 7. As the storms were still looming I decided to shelter for a couple of hours in the Son Real hide, This turned out to be a great move as after only 15 minutes in there, a beautiful Red flanked bluetail appeared right in front of the hide giving excellent views. I watched it come and go 4 or 5 times before I left. Also there, were Crossbill, Corn bunting, Blackcap, Great tit, Song thrush and the usual finches and warblers. After putting the news out lots of people including myself came the following day hoping to see if the bird was still there. Unfortunately it had moved on but I did see Hawfinch and Siskin there.
On day 8 I went to Maristany where the day before Phil had found some Mediterranean and Slender billed gulls that had probably been blown in by the storms. The Med, gulls were still showing but no sign of the Slender billed. The only other new birds seen there were Red crested and Common Pochard and Great crested grebe
On day 9 I met Phil at the Depuradura to look for the Little gull found by Mateus the day before. We had to sit in the car for almost an hour until the rain subsided. We managed to get good views eventually and also saw 10 Glossy Ibis there and still lots of Swallows flying around. From here we moved on to S'Albufera where we were met by Phil G. The highlights here were Kingfisher, Night Heron , Little bittern, Crested coot, Great egret, Redshank, Greenshank, Dunlin, Purple Gallinule, Crested coot, Greater flamingo, Siskin and a superb male Hen harrier. There was also a very confiding Osprey sat on the screen of the new hide only a few feet from us as we entered.
On day 11, my last days birding, I returned to S'Albufera and found nothing I hadn't seen the previous day apart from Water rail and 2 Slender billed gulls which were on the seaward side of the road bridge near the entrance.
Great trip despite the awful weather.
It's been emotional

Thanks Kevin.
It was a great pleasure reading your post because, despite the awful weather, you saw some great birds including finding a third for Mallorca in the shape of the Red-flanked blue tail. Shame others missed out, but what a mega for you to discover.
The Snow bunting was a unique opportunity to tick this rarity. I doubt there will ever be a better chance than this one. Unlike the Bluetail, pretty much everybody got to see the bird.
Little, Slender-billed and Mediterranean gulls are never easy so you did well.
The Iberian grey shrike has always been a very difficult bird to catch up with so this wintering bird has allowed all listers a chance to add this species to their tally.
I hope the weather behaves itself for your next visit, its been atrocious.
Mike

My near neighbour, Mirella, photographed and recorded an odd sounding Chiff-chaff a couple of coves up the road from my home, and it seems very likely, (I would say 100%) that the bird was a Siberian Chiff-chaff (tristis)
I believe that with all the recent storms, howling down from the north east for days on end, there must be more eastern delights deposited upon our shores. I bet there are others waiting to be found on the north and east coasts. Cue Kevin with his Red-flanked bluetail.
I also saw a Chiff-chaff at the Cap de Ses salines a couple of days ago which I believe may have been this species. I have a poor photograph but it is very grey-headed. I don’t hear the calls anymore sadly.
I don’t know of any birder who covers the east coast regularly so there are huge areas of Mallorca that are seriously under-watched. It’s a great shame because I feel sure there are some more “firsts” skulking about somewhere.
Mike

I have discovered that Mirella found the national rarity only a few yards from where I was sitting having lunch the other day, right in the center of town.
If someone had told me that, I would have found it hard to believe.
It just goes to show, almost any bird can turn up anywhere and at anytime.
I usually sit in that restaurant dreaming about finding that next rarity, forgetting that every day coverage of a local patch can, and often does, pay dividends.
So, congratulations go to Mirella for her devotion in going out regularly in her local area. It doesn’t always pay to rip around the Island chasing that elusive mega, as I often do,they can often be found near your own doorstep.
Mike

I saw this image today from a member of our WhatsApp group and I hope he doesn’t mind me reproducing his photo here as it fits in with my comments about the variation in plumage of Booted eagles.
Todays image is of a dark morph, the other three are older photos.

Attachments

• 7E0652B4-A34B-46EC-82E7-0106E3D47672.jpeg
    7E0652B4-A34B-46EC-82E7-0106E3D47672.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 84189990-F8B6-418A-B3FA-2A927AF784B5.jpeg
    84189990-F8B6-418A-B3FA-2A927AF784B5.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 3C94B364-E51D-45F4-B1C9-F89DBE81E75B.jpeg
    3C94B364-E51D-45F4-B1C9-F89DBE81E75B.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 6450B583-E0A2-4B7D-ABEA-3A00CFF9000D.jpeg
    6450B583-E0A2-4B7D-ABEA-3A00CFF9000D.jpeg
    765.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Toni Pons has just found a rarity, a Purple sandpiper at the coast opposite the entrance to Albufera.
I’ve wanted this sandpiper for many years and as I walk the coast quite a lot, I even fancied finding one myself.
I will just have to find something else now.
Congratulations to Toni though.
I went to the tree where Mirella found the Siberian chiff-chaff and it was indeed right next to the café where we often have lunch and I can view the tree from our usual table. There is some traffic noise but I did see a couple of chiff-chaff species there in my short time this morning.
It’s too much to ask that the bird will still be there but stranger things have happened.
Mike

I saw the alert of Toni Soler and after my work time i went to the opening of the Albufera to the sea looking for the purple sandpiper, and after some time without seen the bird, suddenly it was just eating close to us with 2 ruddy turnstones, they day was very cloudy and dark by then, but the new cameras do magical things with the sensibility.
I got some decent pictures of this bird who was a first time for me in Majorca.
A very special week to me when i have seen: Snowy owl, little auk and Lesser scaup in Galicia and now this lovely purple sandpiper.

Attachments

• 123 menjar.jpg
    123 menjar.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 15
  • 213 CorriolFosc.jpg
    213 CorriolFosc.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Martin. You of course are referring to the Red-flanked bluetail which I couldn’t find details for so that’s helpful.
No sign today of the Purple sandpiper but I’m not sure if anyone has been looking.
Off to the Cap in the morning with Stewb so we are hoping for a good day.
Mike

Thanks Martin. You of course are referring to the Red-flanked bluetail which I couldn’t find details for so that’s helpful.
No sign today of the Purple sandpiper but I’m not sure if anyone has been looking.
Off to the Cap in the morning with Stewb so we are hoping for a good day.
Mike
Fingers crossed! A walk around Portopetro this afternoon produced two late house martins and a smart siskin. Nice to see so many black restarts and hear lots of robins too.

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back