• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

Mike and I spent the day in a trip round some of his local sites here in the south. Robins, black redstarts and song thrushes were in great abundance. We bumped into Jason at the Cap (we’ll leave him to tell you what he had seen, suffice to say envy levels were fairly high!). A group of seven siskins headed east along the shore, and groups of chaffinches and meadow pipits looked as though they were about to head off. A blue rock thrush flew behind the lighthouse.

Offshore a couple of adult Audouin’s gulls were mooching around, and there was a fairly continuous movement of groups of Balearic shearwaters heading east.

Nearby, I managed a new bird for my Mallorca list in the shape of mistle thrush (we saw several on the open fields north of the Cap).

Between “the wall” and Passage 5 we had two ospreys flying quite low across the fields, and also saw linnets, booted eagle, ravens and thekla larks.

Mike then took me to Colonia st Jordi for another addition to my Mallorca list - golden plover. There were 176+ on the rocky offshore islands. Grey wagtail and turnstone were nice to see. Nearby there were four stone curlews on the saltpans.

We ended our day at Es Trenc where waders included black-winged stilts, greenshank, dunlins, little stints, spotted redshank, ringed and Kentish plovers. A few flamingo heads and necks were visible in the distance!

Stew

I saw the alert of Toni Soler and after my work time i went to the opening of the Albufera to the sea looking for the purple sandpiper, and after some time without seen the bird, suddenly it was just eating close to us with 2 ruddy turnstones, they day was very cloudy and dark by then, but the new cameras do magical things with the sensibility.
I got some decent pictures of this bird who was a first time for me in Majorca.
A very special week to me when i have seen: Snowy owl, little auk and Lesser scaup in Galicia and now this lovely purple sandpiper.
Great photos of the Purple Sandpiper Pep. I went there first thing this morning, but failed to find the Sandpiper. Good to meet Daniel there too. But I did find 2 Turnstones and finally caught up with a Slender-billed Gull by the bridge at the entrance to Albufera, managing to get many close range photos.Slender-billed Gull_5303.jpgSlender-billed Gull_5318.jpgSlender-billed Gull_5590.jpgSlender-billed Gull_5635.jpgTurnstone_5284.jpg

As Stew says, I had a bit of a cracker this morning at the Cap. Let off of parenting duties for the morning, I headed out at dawn, hoping for a bit of vis mig. Good numbers of mistle thrushes were enjoying the juniper berries near the end of the cap road, while a single Turtle Dove was a good late record, and a juvenile Black Kite with Reds which may prove to be a winterer. At the lighthouse top billing went to a Short-eared Owl flushed from the rocks before dropping into cover out of view, and a pair of Red-billed Chough which flew over with a flock of Ravens; both Mallorca ticks and pretty rare birds here (particularly the latter). Also here a steady trickle of chaffinches included a single vocal Brambling, while Siskins, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks and Linnets were moving south, while an Osprey was also passing offshore. Back at Passatge 5 a late Balearic Woodchat Shrike was the highlight.

Attachments

• 1C0A8988_edit.jpg
    1C0A8988_edit.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 1C0A8994_edit.jpg
    1C0A8994_edit.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 1C0A9066_edit.jpg
    1C0A9066_edit.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 39
Fantastic capture of this elegant gull Clive.
Thanks Stew for a great day out and congratulations to Jason for his very exciting discoveries.
He got there before we did, the early bird does indeed catch the worm.
Mike

I too was one of the lucky ones to find the Purple Sandpiper on Friday afternoon, at the very end of the Gran Canal where it discharges into the sea. I found it feeding on the water`s edge along with three Turnstones. As I watched, the sandpiper, accompanied by two of the Turnstones, moved away from the rocks on the sea edge. They then made they're way up on to the beach to feed on a dead fish. This was a great photo opportunity. Unfortunately this was also the same time that a fisherman walked past and scattered the birds! As I turned around I noticed that there was another birder behind me, we introduced ourselves, it was Toni Luque. As he had only just arrived he hadn't had many photo opportunities, so he remained to re-find the sandpiper. I decided that I had already had really good views of the bird and also some reasonably good photos, so I called it a day, and a very lucky one too.
The following morning I was due out for my weekly birding day. I thought Albufera and check out if the Purple Sandpiper is still around? and then into the Parc Natural. Unfortunately no sign of the sandpiper, but I already had the photos and the memory. So, off into the Parc.
The water levels were very high. The canal was racing along. I tried the new Sa Roca hide first. Lots of Lapwing, Black Winged Stilt, a few Teal, Mallards, no small waders. But there were two Greylag Geese on the island facing the hide; another tick on my year list. Another strange thing, the Osprey seen last week which was perched on the roof of the hide was back again in exactly the same spot, most odd.
I set off to the Ses Pardes hide next, the approach to the hide was flooded . Moving on, went to the des Cibollar1 hide. A little more interest here , 120 Cormorant, 15 Shelduck, Gt White Egret, 4 Pintail, Black Tailed Godwit, 2 Audouin`s Gull. Managed a few distant photos. At Cibollars 2 hide, a Peregrine showing very well but again fairly distant.
I would have liked to have visited the Es Columbars hide next but the1km walk down the lane to the hide was completely flooded.
Still not a bad day considering the water levels. Purple Sandpiper the star of the show.

Attachments

• IMG_7055.JPG
    IMG_7055.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7087.JPG
    IMG_7087.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7052.JPG
    IMG_7052.JPG
    975.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7074.JPG
    IMG_7074.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7058.JPG
    IMG_7058.JPG
    730.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7039.JPG
    IMG_7039.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7035.JPG
    IMG_7035.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
After an early morning sea watch from the balcony (steady movement of Balearic shearwaters, and a Mallorca list tick in the shape of a gannet) Mike generously took us north in hope of seeing the slender-billed gull at S’Albufera. It took a while, but with Juanjo’s help we saw it on the beach near the entrance to the Gran Canal.

The reserve itself gave us kingfisher, crested coots, night herons, a selection of waders, a poorly-looking osprey (perched on the new Sa Roca hide), great crested grebe and a selection of wildfowl including wigeon and pintail. Eight rather splendid flamingos were feeding actively from Es Cibollar I.

A brief visit to Maristany produced only an Audouin’s gull, several pochard and lots of dabchicks.

There were 40+ crag martins and a couple of swallows over the Depuradora, the mute swan was on a distant pool and a water pipit was on the breeding platform. Mike had a merlin dashing over the reed beds, and a redwing flew across into the bordering bushes.

On the drive back south another merlin flew across in front of the car, bringing my Mallorca list onto a modest but satisfying 200!

Stew

Last edited:
Hi StewB, The flock of 20 + small waders, Dotterel ? Was this at the Son Real coastal stretch near the Necropolis ?
Hi Phil, no it’s a small selection of the flock of 176+ golden plovers on the offshore island at Colonia st Jordi. As we were leaving, another large group joined them, so eventually the total would have been much larger!

Stew

Hi everyone, the photo I`ve posted? I think it may be a Praying Mantis egg sac ? I`ve also seen these attached to fences and on the underside of horizontal wooden rails.
Any ideas, I`m sure that Martin Honey would know?

Attachments

• IMG_7095.JPG
    IMG_7095.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Many congratulations on reaching the milestone of 200 species in Mallorca Stew, a great achievement and what a pleasure it was to share those moments with you as you edged nearer your target.
The Slender-billed gull is such an elegant bird and you are quite right when you say the more you look at it, the better it gets. It’s a beauty.
Hopefully, there will be a couple more ticks for you in the next couple of days.
Mike

A relaxing day spent locally to Portopetro. A pre-breakfast walk provided singing serins, firecrests and the many robins and black redstarts that have taken up residence.

Later, from the balcony a couple of calling siskins went over, 5 crossbills dived into the fir trees while booted eagle and red kites were drifting around inland. The views of the sea beyond the harbour mouth gave sightings of two gannets and two Balearic shearwaters.

We spent last knockings at the harbour mouth. Another gannet and 26 more Balearic shearwaters (heading south) we’re just offshore, and an adult Audouin’s gull was hanging around the rocky shore. A male kestrel was being very vocal, and soon the female showed up and dashed into the cave at the base of the cliff. The male soon followed and the noises suggested that there was some intimate pair-bonding occurring!

Stew
C1DC57F1-C19E-4F0C-B5E4-B55E268B4706.jpegA45E9896-1EA4-4B1A-A5C1-A6D0B5564985.jpegA0B02CD6-2AA9-4726-977C-BC9BB8D2BB0D.jpeg

A pre-breakfast watch from the balcony provided another gannet, a group of c30 lapwing and a few starlings.

After breakfast Mrs B took me on a nostalgic trip up to Puerto Pollenca for lunch. There was rain on and off (mostly on!) all day (including some impressive thunder and lightning), limiting even brief birding opportunities. A couple of corn buntings on roadside wires just past Manacor added to the trip list. A brief walk down the track at Maristany provided another tick for my Mallorca list in the shape of a first-winter Mediterranean Gull, with the black-headed gulls. I counted the common pochards, coming up with a total of 176.

After lunch a damp few minutes at the screen looking inland over the scrape at the Albufereta gave me a water pipit, green sandpiper and two Kentish plovers.

Stew

EC96C3EB-98CD-412A-8D06-E31CA1B318BA.jpegB3992168-7897-44E1-9FFC-5BE91C135F00.jpeg

Wednesday:
After breakfast Mike took me along to the Parc at Mondrago. A beefy peregrine was over the entrance road, and a hoopoe led us along the road as we approached the sea. There were several singing blackcaps (I'd seen very few up to now), serins were buzzing around and there were plenty of meadow pipits and chiffchaffs in the orchards.

We stopped at Portixol en route to the airport to catch our afternoon flight back to Stansted. A preying Mantis was on the wheel of the car parked next to us - I'm assuming this is a European Preying Mantis, although from the guides I was expecting to see the black and white spot on the "fore coxa".

A sunny but bracing walk in a strong breeze along the sea front produced flypasts by two adult Mediterranean gulls, 3+ Sandwich terns and an adult Audouin's gull - a really nice way to finish off a really lovely visit. A heartfelt thanks to Mike and Jane for their super hospitality!

Stew

IMG_3082 copy 3.jpeg

It was a great pleasure Stew.
Lots of fun and some great birds too.
The first snow has fallen on the highest peaks so it’s a bit colder now, just to add to the general misery of grey, rainy days with heavy showers.
Despite this, a few brave birders have been out. Some Common crane have been seen so I will have a scoot around the back of the salt pans where many cranes rest and feed most years.
Phil.A. saw a Brambling by the reception, Son Real. Always a scarce species.
Lots of Siskin around my manor today. It’s a first for my balcony too, initially found by Stew, I’ve since added many more.
I will get to Son Real as soon as I can to see if Hawfinch have invaded too.
I hope so.
Mike

Sometimes it’s nice to just stand and stare.
I went to the Cap de Ses Salines this morning but it was blowing a hooley, as my Geordie mates would say.
It has turned much colder too, so I moved up to passage 5 which was more sheltered.
There appeared to be nothing doing with not a single bird showing.
I did, however, decide to stay there and see what turned up.
It looked nice anyway, with some wild flowers out and I find the dry-stone walls a constant delight.
A big pile of dead wood in front of me always attracts birds and I have seen many different species there.
Both black and red kite went by, a couple of Booted eagle, lots of Raven, Peregrine and then a big surprise, a Woodcock came weaving by with its distinctive flight, plump body and that lovely warm brown with rusty colored rump. I have never seen a daytime one here but I saw several in the UK including a regular one in my garden.
My first ever was around 11am at Bough Beech and I was thrilled to see it. Over 40 years ago but I can still picture it.
Two kestrel were involved in some ritual and a large group of waders flew by.
It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours.
Mike

Attachments

• D37F35A3-7130-4159-BBDE-8C814EBB82D8.jpeg
    D37F35A3-7130-4159-BBDE-8C814EBB82D8.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 21FA7265-4B4E-498A-8635-7BA91C11BFD4.jpeg
    21FA7265-4B4E-498A-8635-7BA91C11BFD4.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 9E2E4D4D-6940-4EB4-AA54-0AC82969E67E.jpeg
    9E2E4D4D-6940-4EB4-AA54-0AC82969E67E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 549B01B0-01D5-429F-9FC5-785DBF860EF0.jpeg
    549B01B0-01D5-429F-9FC5-785DBF860EF0.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 24
Sometimes it’s nice to just stand and stare.
I went to the Cap de Ses Salines this morning but it was blowing a hooley, as my Geordie mates would say.
It has turned much colder too, so I moved up to passage 5 which was more sheltered.
There appeared to be nothing doing with not a single bird showing.
I did, however, decide to stay there and see what turned up.
It looked nice anyway, with some wild flowers out and I find the dry-stone walls a constant delight.
A big pile of dead wood in front of me always attracts birds and I have seen many different species there.
Both black and red kite went by, a couple of Booted eagle, lots of Raven, Peregrine and then a big surprise, a Woodcock came weaving by with its distinctive flight, plump body and that lovely warm brown with rusty colored rump. I have never seen a daytime one here but I saw several in the UK including a regular one in my garden.
My first ever was around 11am at Bough Beech and I was thrilled to see it. Over 40 years ago but I can still picture it.
Two kestrel were involved in some ritual and a large group of waders flew by.
It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours.
Mike
Just looking enviously at the sunshine and flowers in your photo, Mike. I am sitting at my desk just after lunchtime, lights on against the gloom and watching the sleet eddy past the window. Still, not long now. Roll on Wednesday week!
David

Wednesday:
After breakfast Mike took me along to the Parc at Mondrago. A beefy peregrine was over the entrance road, and a hoopoe led us along the road as we approached the sea. There were several singing blackcaps (I'd seen very few up to now), serins were buzzing around and there were plenty of meadow pipits and chiffchaffs in the orchards.

We stopped at Portixol en route to the airport to catch our afternoon flight back to Stansted. A preying Mantis was on the wheel of the car parked next to us - I'm assuming this is a European Preying Mantis, although from the guides I was expecting to see the black and white spot on the "fore coxa".

A sunny but bracing walk in a strong breeze along the sea front produced flypasts by two adult Mediterranean gulls, 3+ Sandwich terns and an adult Audouin's gull - a really nice way to finish off a really lovely visit. A heartfelt thanks to Mike and Jane for their super hospitality!

Stew

View attachment 1416862
Hi Stew, this is Sphrodomantis viridis, otherwise known as the Giant African Mantis - but it is present in Mallorca. I sometimes get them at my light traps.
Martin

Hi everyone, the photo I`ve posted? I think it may be a Praying Mantis egg sac ? I`ve also seen these attached to fences and on the underside of horizontal wooden rails.
Any ideas, I`m sure that Martin Honey would know?
Hi Phil - I think you are right. It does look like a mantis egg case (or ootheca), probably of Sphodromantis viridis.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back