• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (2 Viewers)

Finished the trip to Alicante with Kevin today before flying back to Newcastle. We managed slender billed gulls, gannet and raven bringing the trip visit to 98 in 3 and a half days of full on birding. It has been interesting to compare sightings here with Mallorca which has probably raised more questions than answers. I was in Mallorca for 2 weeks at the end of January and was struck by an almost complete absence of waders, it has been the same in Alicante. We haven’t seen any Kites but have seen a dozen or more common buzzards. Why are there crested tits in Alicante but not in Mallorca. Why are crows common in one place but absent in the other. We’ve seen lots of Mediterranean and slender billed gulls here but they are uncommon in Mallorca. All in all a fascinating trip and a pleasure to see the vast expanses of the steppes and the mountain areas. We shall return.

Attachments

• 218D5A39-D89C-44A4-856F-D6C1903DF3B4.jpeg
    218D5A39-D89C-44A4-856F-D6C1903DF3B4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • B1761E8C-5C77-4F30-8771-085921C82249.jpeg
    B1761E8C-5C77-4F30-8771-085921C82249.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • C948E44D-3802-4BFA-B86F-97A2FF7E00F1.jpeg
    C948E44D-3802-4BFA-B86F-97A2FF7E00F1.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 24
Sorry it’s been a bit quiet. I have been in isolation for a week. I can go out as from tomorrow although I did pop down the Cap this morning. Pep was there but we both agreed it was very quiet everywhere with a distinct lack of waders.
Just a few hirundines reported and there are now more Scopoli’s in the waters. The numbers will continue to build as the weeks go by. It’s always a difficult time, waiting for all the spring migrants to arrive.
Mike

Sorry it’s been a bit quiet. I have been in isolation for a week. I can go out as from tomorrow although I did pop down the Cap this morning. Pep was there but we both agreed it was very quiet everywhere with a distinct lack of waders.
Just a few hirundines reported and there are now more Scopoli’s in the waters. The numbers will continue to build as the weeks go by. It’s always a difficult time, waiting for all the spring migrants to arrive.
Mike
Glad to here things are looking up with you. Keep up the good work. And hirundines are always good to see returning! We’re back a week tomorrow. We’ll be glad to escape the persistent rain and one gale after another. Mallorca with Covid almost sounds like a pretty good option in comparison!😂

Wife and grandchildren wanted to do some shopping and I decided to visit Es Carnatge for two reasons. See some birds but main reason is to understand my Sony camera. Between 1970 to1990 was a period with nature photos with Canon F1 / AE1 after that less and mostly family photos with rather simple cameras.
I recently bought a new more complicated/sofisticated camera. I try to read the manual which I would say make me more confused and even "Dostojevskij" is easier to read.
Sometimes I manage to take some nice photos and sometimes not. I hope to meet another birder with more knowledge of this sofistcated camera than I have. I might be to old for it. So far I try and learn.
A friend recommend it due to easy to take with you and ok for bird photos. It was no problem in Sweden because my friend make installation for seawatching photos which I do most nowadays.

I took an hour walk and it was rather windy. Turnstone 10, House sparrow, Collared Dowe 1, Shearwater 1, Cormorant, Black Headed Gull both in winter and summer plumage , Audouins Gull, Yellow legged Gull, Sandwich Tern 2, Kestrel 1, White Wagtail 1, Greenfinch, Sardinian Warbler, Starling 7, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Blackbird, Little Egret.

Attachments

• DSC01938 (2).JPG
    DSC01938 (2).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC01942 (2).JPG
    DSC01942 (2).JPG
    906 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01972 (2).JPG
    DSC01972 (2).JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 24
If you are struggling with your camera, then you are in good company.
I ask all experienced photographers for advice on settings when I see them but as you rightly said, it sometimes makes matters worse.
I have been out sea watching tonight but not for long. The off-shore wind was annoying, the sun was streaming down my eyepiece which was even more annoying but then to top it all, some youngsters decided to invade the lighthouse and began playing the guitar and singing loudly and very badly.
There are more Scopoli’s out there now, 8 were following the trawler tonight but they were too far out to take any reasonable photos.
Sometimes the birds are in really close allowing much better photo opportunities.
Mike

Attachments

• E80D971B-3AE0-4CD9-BC85-C1F7D5668543.jpeg
    E80D971B-3AE0-4CD9-BC85-C1F7D5668543.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 32
  • AD9ED84F-8AAB-4BD3-B5E9-9C99B8FD705A.jpeg
    AD9ED84F-8AAB-4BD3-B5E9-9C99B8FD705A.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 31
If you are struggling with your camera, then you are in good company.
I ask all experienced photographers for advice on settings when I see them but as you rightly said, it sometimes makes matters worse.
I have been out sea watching tonight but not for long. The off-shore wind was annoying, the sun was streaming down my eyepiece which was even more annoying but then to top it all, some youngsters decided to invade the lighthouse and began playing the guitar and singing loudly and very badly.
There are more Scopoli’s out there now, 8 were following the trawler tonight but they were too far out to take any reasonable photos.
Sometimes the birds are in really close allowing much better photo opportunities.
Mike
I have a Canon SH60HS Powershot bridge camera, which I simply leave on “auto” and take lots of shots, on the basis that if I take plenty I’ll probably get something acceptable. It’s a popular camera with birders here in the UK, and several people have taken it upon themselves to give me unsolicited advice on the settings I should use in various circumstances. I explain that (a) my brain doesn’t retain the advice anyway, and (b) although I like to have a nice photo of birds that I’ve seen, primarily I want to see the bird. Everyone to their own I guess!

Stew

Stew, I am a fellow member of the Canon bridge camera club. I have had the SX70 HS Powershot for almost 3 years. Light and compact it fits in my waterproof jacket pocket when I’m at home and is easy to carry when I’m in Mallorca. The zoom is incredible although I’m guilty, like others, of sometimes trying to take photos of birds half a mile away and expecting competition winning results. When used on birds up to a couple of hundred yards away and in decent light, like in Mallorca, the results can be spectacular. The beauty is being able to take lots of shots and deleting the poor ones, retaining record shots for later ID. I am
part of a birding group in Mallorca as you know and between us we all have bridge cameras, either Canon or Nikon. Between us we have some fantastic photos, all on cameras costing around £450. I know very little about photography and this works best for me. As you say, each to his own.

This is good stuff.
I particularly like your approach Stew. I have two cameras, a Nikon P900 and a Canon 7D (I had to go and look then!) with a 400 zoom.
I have received all sorts of advice for settings on the latter but like you Stew, it seems to go in one ear and out the other. The results on this camera are mostly dreadful but I’ve had a few good ones.
For birds perching or on the deck, the P900 is superb. On full zoom, the quality tails off rapidly.
I only use the Canon for flight shots as the Nikon is not at its best then. Even then, so many are out of focus.
A good approach is to take as many as I can, then delete the poor ones later.
The main thing is to have fun. Photography can be a hindrance as when I’m trying to get that all-important shot, I’m failing to just enjoy the birds.
Compromise is the answer. I’ve seen and photographed some fabulous birds here and that’s what it’s all about. I often look back at photos of my time here and my trips abroad, and I re-live the places and the birds. It’s a fabulous thing to do and I guess in my old age I will be able to look back on all the great times. There have been so many. I just don’t know where I would be without birding.
Mike

Thank you Mike for good company
My camera is a Sony RX 10 V and my friend made installation to see several small green squares - if these was on flying bird above sea level I got most of time nice photos - sea watching
I arrived to Palma late october and went out to Prat de Sant Jordi some days later. I took several photos through the fence on waders . All waders was blurry but focus was razor sharp on the fence. After this I tried to adjust and my problems began.
I have to admit even if I do not see any focus it can be good photos which never happens in the past with Canon F1.
I do not know if some of you are Liverpool fan but "you never walk alone"
Anyway to see birds makes me happy and I have avoid these cameras for a long period because I wanted to identify them directly but have realized that you can get more accurate information from photos

Saturday my wife and I went to Búger to the market and to get a coffee and an Ensaimada from the World Champion of Ensaimadas, it is a pleasure. We left with a fried chicken and went to a place some 5 km south of Campanet to enjoy it in peaceful surroundings and the sounds of sheep. Goldfinches and Stonechats were there too, and suddenly a Red Kite landed in a tree 100 m away. I managed to get fairly close and have a couple of photos before it saw me and disappeared.
On our way home we stopped a little while at the Passeig de Bateman. We didn't have the luck to see Little Bittern, but Little and Great Egret, Grey Heron, Mallard, Shellduck, Common Sandpiper and a big flock of probably Kentish Plovers. Does anyone know if the bird tower in the hotel is for common use or only for hotel guests?
In S'Albufera we have been very lucky to see a Merlin three times, and very close. I try to attach a few photos of the Red Kite and the Merlin, and hope I will succeed. If not I hope somebody will tell me how to do.
Geordie Dave - good luck around Alicante.
Erik
I would say that the falcon is a kestrel, not a merlin. Note the shape, pattern on the tail and brown back.

For anyone interested (and begging the indulgence of anyone who isn't), I've produced an update to my notes on the damselflies and dragonflies of Mallorca. Since my last update a new species has been added - Orange-winged Dropwing (Trithemis kirbyi), found by Jason Moss in 2021. A few other additions to existing records have also been included.

Maties and Marina are planning to publish a report on Balearic odonata in 2020 in Es Buscqueret, so if anyone has any records, please submit them to [email protected]

Stew

Attachments

• Dragonflies of Mallorca Feb 2022 update pdf2.pdf
    18.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Well done Stew.
I can’t open the page, it says it’s not available so I’m wondering if it’s just me.
I will keep a copy and tick off the species I have seen here, mostly identified by you!
Thanks for this.
Mike

It’s ok Stew, I got it to work.
Very enjoyable it is too.
Well done for compiling the records and thanks for showing me some of these magnificent creatures, they really are a colourful and exciting group to encounter here in Mallorca.
Mike

It’s ok Stew, I got it to work.
Very enjoyable it is too.
Well done for compiling the records and thanks for showing me some of these magnificent creatures, they really are a colourful and exciting group to encounter here in Mallorca.
Mike
Thanks Mike. When I clicked the attachment it downloaded automatically but didn’t open - I had to open it from downloads. If anyone has trouble opening it and wants a copy, DM me with an email address and I’ll send one.

Stew

Wife and grandchildren visit " Cuevas del Drach" which gave me possibility to do some short seawatching.
Balearic Shearwater 3 (2+1) and 2 Yelkouan all went south. Black redstart 2, Sardinian Warbler, Yellow legged Gull, Wood Pigeon 1

For anyone interested (and begging the indulgence of anyone who isn't), I've produced an update to my notes on the damselflies and dragonflies of Mallorca. Since my last update a new species has been added - Orange-winged Dropwing (Trithemis kirbyi), found by Jason Moss in 2021. A few other additions to existing records have also been included.

Maties and Marina are planning to publish a report on Balearic odonata in 2020 in Es Buscqueret, so if anyone has any records, please submit them to [email protected]

Stew
How interesting, Stew! As you have said, this summer we are going to publish a new collection of observations produced during the year 2021.
And if all goes well, we will soon publish an extensive article with all the species cited in the Balearic Islands to date, including those erroneously cited. About 40 species in total. I hope that we can publish it this year, the work is practically finished and it contains a lot of information about species, abundance, distribution, etc.
Thank you very much for all your contributions and your great interest in this topic!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back