• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (2 Viewers)

Arrived yesterday to a Pollensa villa and enjoying the warm weather and the bird activity just from the garden. Lots of spotted flycatchers, Sardinians, greenfinch, serin and even a few short-toed larks. Red kite, barn owl and great Egret performed fly-pasts on cue. You’ve got to love this place. Cala sa vicenc later this afternoon and S’Albufera tomorrow! 🤞

Nightjars are much more common than I believed when they were at one time listed as a passage migrant.
I guess it’s just that not many birders are out at dusk. We go to many social functions at people’s houses, outside of course, and it seems there are nightjars calling from pretty much all of them here in the south. Maybe the environment here is more suitable for them, I don’t know, but I hear several pairs around where I live, up the road in s’Alqueria Blanca and many other locations.
I don’t know about up north, maybe there aren’t so many.
So if you dip at Son Bosc you can always come here Stew, it’s one bird I can absolutely guarantee.
Mike
I seem to remember reports of nightjars from Son Bosc in the last couple of years - Geordie Dave perhaps? Punta de n’Amer is a bit far to go from a base in Puerto Pollenca, thanks Martin!

Stew

Based on yesterday's information about the Dartford Warblers we headed off to Son Baulo and along the beach and also off piste a little....:(:( regrettably not good news nearly fours hours drew a blank. As already stated this is birding for you, with the highs come those lows.

Our bird list did grow however and we added an Osprey over the sea and Cath surprised me with a Wren which she witheld from yesterday so we sit on 72 for the trip.

We added a Grasshopper type to the miscellaneous list oh and a pig on a lead along the beach😁

T&C

Nightjars are much more common than I believed when they were at one time listed as a passage migrant.
Mike
Yesterday after 21.30 hours at my local patch (hills west of Palma) there were at least 8 nightjaars singing and we saw several flying, as you showed in our book, it is a very common summer breeder in Majorca (the intense red means it) and it is spread almost all around the island.
Josep

I seem to remember reports of nightjars from Son Bosc in the last couple of years - Geordie Dave perhaps? Punta de n’Amer is a bit far to go from a base in Puerto Pollenca, thanks Martin!

Stew
We've had them at Son Real in the past Stew, a few years ago now though. good luck with the search.
Lew & Carol Lawes

Attachments

• IMGP1654-001.JPG
    IMGP1654-001.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 6

Stew
Stew I’ve seen nightjar in each of the last 3 years at S’Illot. Twice in July and once in September. Access either from the main Can Picafort road and walking through or going in from Depuradora side from the end of the Son Bosc road.

Attachments

• 33F062D3-AADC-4AF1-BDE2-11174DA16C18.png
    33F062D3-AADC-4AF1-BDE2-11174DA16C18.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Isn't modern technology wonderful! During our recent holiday in Mallorca I encountered several birds that were far too distant to determine through binoculars, so I photographed them as best as I could and then zoomed them up in the viewfinder to identify. This bird was hopping around on the ground to start with and the distant speck through the bins made me think it might be a female Redstart. As I had seen a couple of males beforehand I didn't bother looking at it until I got home. Bit of a surprise to see, not a Redstart but a warbler and an Icterine at that - haven't seen one for about 25 years now! The one on the rock just about shows the long primary projection and the obvious pale panel in the wings is in three shots.

Although my lens is only a 300mm, it's attached to a m4/3 camera body (Olympus EM 1 II) so gives the eqivalent field of view of a 600mm 'full-frame' lens. Also, I had the 2x converter fitted, taking it up to 1200mm equiv. On top of this, I used the 2x 'digital' converter which pushes it up to 2400mm! The pictures are also 'actual pixel' crops from the centre of the image which introduces another magnification of about 4x.

Attachments

• maj 2.jpg
    maj 2.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 37
  • maj 3.jpg
    maj 3.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 36
  • maj 4.jpg
    maj 4.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 32
  • maj 5.jpg
    maj 5.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 36
On the way to the airport this morning a Barn Owl was almost side by side with the taxi giving us 73 birds for our trip. Back now in Sunny Stockport 🙂
Where you can join the celebrations! Well done County:)! It’s now 42 years since I visited Mallorca and 30 since I last watched Stockport County play, time to do both again, the birding sounds better organised than in 1980 (on Mallorca, not in Stockport;))!

Hi Adey. Yes, modern technology is wonderful and has no doubt added many new species to lists around the world.
There are apps to identify birds from photos and even sonograms for identifying birds from their calls.
Super-zoom lenses have aided identification of distant birds, and birds in large groups can even be counted accurately from photos.
There are those who lament “the old days” of greater skill in having to identify birds from field notes and memory but as I said a few posts ago, the mind can play tricks, whereas the camera doesn’t lie.
Progress is always difficult and in many respects I don’t like change either, but it’s inevitable and can’t be undone.
I’m enjoying birding more than ever so something must be working. I still keep a notebook and paint and draw birds too. It all adds to the thrill of seeing great things out there in the natural world.
Mike

Last edited:
I have also been thinking about all the people I have met over the years and what great fun it has been, meeting up with some brilliant birders and sharing stories from around the world.
I have got to know many people who are now friends and I have even been to stay with them in their homes abroad which has been educational and enlightening.
Looking back at the Mallorca thread since I started it in 2010, there have been over one million, seven hundred thousand hits, quite remarkable really. And in all the posts, I don’t remember a single negative or aggressive response, even more remarkable.
As many people know, I have had some very wobbly times over the years and my posts have been wonky too, but I have had nothing but kindness and support. When you read so much about the internet being a bad thing, it has been for me, the most supportive and helpful resource.
This was confirmed today when I met up with Trevor from Norwich. That’s a story in itself but it was brilliant fun. I learnt a lot and laughed quite a bit too. We even shared a bit of “Life of Brian”.
There were a few good birds too, a very smart dark morph Eleonora’s falcon was picked out by Trevor and we enjoyed seeing it scythe through a cloudless blue sky. Bird of the day.
So thanks everyone for sharing your sightings here, I love to see what’s around and I am mostly happy reading about other people’s birds. Some still hurt, I’ve never seen great bittern here.
I look forward to meeting up again with many of you and also meeting new people around the Island.
Good birding everyone.
Mike

Last edited:
I have also been thinking about all the people I have met over the years and what great fun it has been, meeting up with some brilliant birders and sharing stories from around the world.
I have got to know many people who are now friends and I have even been to stay with them in their homes abroad which has been educational and enlightening.
Looking back at the Mallorca thread since I started it in 2010, there have been over one million, seven hundred thousand hits, quite remarkable really. And in all the posts, I don’t remember a single negative or aggressive response, even more remarkable.
As many people know, I have had some very wobbly times over the years and my posts have been wonky too, but I have had nothing but kindness and support. When you read so much about the internet being a bad thing, it has been for me, the most supportive and helpful resource.
This was confirmed today when I met up with Trevor from Norwich. That’s a story in itself but it was brilliant fun. I learnt a lot and laughed quite a bit too. We even shared a bit of “Life of Brian”.
There were a few good birds too, a very smart dark morph Eleonora’s falcon was picked out by Trevor and we enjoyed seeing it scythe through a cloudless blue sky. Bird of the day.
So thanks everyone for sharing your sightings here, I love to see what’s around and I am mostly happy reading about other people’s birds. Some still hurt, I’ve never seen great bittern here.
I look forward to meeting up again with many of you and also meeting new people around the Island.
Good birding everyone.
Mike
Great post Mike!

Good birding everyone.
Mike
But remember, it works both ways Mike. Many of us become captivated by Mallorca, and birding brings us to parts of the wonderful island that we, and certainly not the traditional tourists, would otherwise never encounter. We also meet fellow travellers (in every sense of the word) who share our delight in wildlife and wild places.

I’m so pleased to be able to call you and Jane my friends, and this wouldn’t have happened without your commitment to the Mallorca forum. You’ve created a place of welcome and sharing. Where there’s no judgement and where requests for help get sensible responses. Long may it stay so! Thanks Mike.

Stew

(Gosh, I got all maudlin there for a while 😊)

I second that,Stew. (y) Perhaps without fully appreciating the role you play,Mike,a lot of us UK birders and birders from other countries are Indebted to you and other locals,for whetting our appetite before visiting the Island for ourselves and then following what's happening there,until we can return again.I know ,that I read what's happening every day.So "Take a Bow" Mike

Mike, I’m filling up here!!
Monday. Started the day at Son Real. The drinking pond was dry so few birds about but lots of tortoises. The window in the hide seems to get lower and the bench seats higher making for a very uncomfortable hour or so of waiting patiently. In the woods lots of turtle doves and wryneck calling, several obliging woodchat shrike sat up in full view. In the scrub near the beach at least 4 Balearic warblers, some in clear view. Thekla lark and tawny pipit near the beach, the latter a new bird for 2022 for me. We moved on to Depuradora for an hour so. Very quiet but good to spend some time chatting with Mickeline from the north east. Our final stop off was at an also quiet Albufereta. The days on this really enjoyable trip are rapidly running out for me now though.

Just a quick summary of our recent trip to the Island, I managed one lifer in the form of the Collared Pratincole, Cath also had this along with the Golden Oriole as lifers.
We had Mallorca ticks with Wood Sandpiper, Gull-billed Tern, Turtle Dove and Barn Owl. Frustrations, dips or bogey birds were Wryneck, Moustached and Dartford Warbler. We will have to return to put this right and try to include Nightjar to the ticks;)
We had two Swallowtail butterflies, 14 Hermanns Tortoises, eels, crabs and a pig.
As a recommendation to anybody staying Port de Pollenca we have to mention the pattisserie, Bisanyes near the BP station everything was delicious and they do pies (y)
Our trip would not have been so successful had it not been for this forum so we would like to thank all contributors especially the one and only Mike Montier, accolades have already been given and are well deserved Mike for a fabulous forum.

Thank you for reading
T & C

I finished my latest trip today by meeting Phil A at the sports centre at Maria de la Salut. After cafe con leche we spent about 3 hours wandering the back lanes of the central plains on a stunning, beautiful day on the island. A few raptors were in the air and we easily managed to identify red kite, marsh harrier and booted eagle. More challenging was separating the surprisingly small number of kestrel about and identifying lesser rather than common which we were finally able to do. I had fairly clear sight of what I thought was a short toed lark; there followed about an hour of searching and investigative work before we refound the bird and conclusively agreed on ID. We continued to look for red footed falcons without success before retiring to the sports centre for a cana or two. This brings my latest trip to a close. 126 species in 4 weeks of being out almost every day. Highlights have.been 5 golden oriole together at Can Cuarassa, Bonellis eagles and Egyptian vulture at Mortix, caspian tern at Albufereta , honey buzzards and 6 griffon vultures at Albercutx, whiskered and gull billed terns, dozens of bee eaters, calling wryneck and turtle doves, several Balearic warblers, 20+ Eleonoras falcons and all of the other birds that I’ve had the pleasure of seeing while I’ve have been here. Better than all of this has been spending time here with Mike M, Jane, Phil A, Kevin, Derban and Peter S. I’ve said it many times but the birds seen is only a part of the experience; spending time and swapping tales with pals in field is what it’s all about. Remember, you’re only ever one bird away from a memorable day out and I’m glad to have had a few of those in the last month. Back again in late June. Take care all.

Safe journey home David, it was great birding with you as always. I just wish there had been more Honey buzzard but it’s just one of those years so far. Still time though.
A few a golden oriole being seen.
I’m off just round the corner here, Houdini heard Tree sparrows from his car when leaving here after lunch yesterday. He certainly is a magician.
It’s a tick for my home town and you just never know what else will be around. That’s all part of the magic, not knowing what may turn up and where.
I’ve certainly learnt from people like Mirella in the next town who goes out regularly but only locally. She has found some fabulous birds over the years so I’m sure there are some great things to be found right on my own doorstep.
I’m also going for Nightjars tonight and hope to get some photos. Difficult.
Mike

Another excellent day out with Geordie Dave and his brother Mick. I was delighted that we found a Short Toed Lark, well 2 actually. It's been a bogey bird for me for 7 years, since we moved over here from the UK. We also watched a very young Thekla Lark on the tarmac lane, it allowed us to get very close and we were concerned whether or not it`s parents were keeping an eye on it. However, shortly after, although we didn't think it was old enough to do so, It flew off and landed in in the nearby field. Sigh of relief.
The grain fields around Maria de la Salut really are beautiful at this time of year. Some of the crops had been harvested and others were still intact, there are small copses dotted around and mature woodland on the higher surrounding ground. Also where the fields border on the lanes and between the fields there is a roughly 1mtr wide border of wild flowers, weeds and grasses. lovely habitat.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    983.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2907 (1).JPG
    IMG_2907 (1).JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back