• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

Jason strikes again with another first for the Balearics, a Black headed bunting which I believe he picked up in song but I hope he posts details of this magnificent find.
He even dropped a pin so I have half a chance of seeing it. I doubt it’s just arrived, I reckon it must have come in some time ago with all the constant easterlies. I did predict some eastern delights hiding around the Island but it’s still a bombshell.
Many rarities are first picked up on call or song which is where the great skill and experience comes in. I would probably have walked past it.
It always pays to keep eyes and ears open so I must brush-up on some of these calls. I used to go to sleep with a tape of European birdsong playing in the background which seemed like a good idea. I was on my own with that one though.
I’m going up north today and staying for three nights. See you up there then.
Mike
Hi Mike
Not wishing to steal Jason's thunder but the Bannerman's (1983> 214) list one record for the Balearic Islands but they don't give details. It's also on a Mallorcan checklist I have so perhaps it was discounted? Can anyone clarify?
Martin

I’ve managed to rediscover the Black Headed Bunting merely minutes after Mike had left.
Mike and I had heard it before singing out of a tree only a few meters away from us. We saw some movement, moments later a bird flew off which I thought could have been the BHB. We looked for it in the area the bird had flown off to, but no luck there. Mike unfortunately had to leave so we went back to the cars. I decided to have another go for it. Then suddenly I heard the song again and I was able to relocate the bird and take a few pictures! An absolute stunner! What a day!

Yesterday’s visit to the tower of Albercutx produced some migrating raptors: 4 Honeybuzzards, 5 Marsh Harriers and 1 Red Kite. All of them were far out in the distance, so I didn’t even try to take some photos.
The local Peregrines were flying around the tower and putting on quite the show and some Ravens came by as well. After 1.5 hours I left with a slight sunburn on both arms, despite having used a good amount of sunscreen earlier.

Martin

Attachments

• F2055B01-6058-451D-A83F-B698D4154B9B.jpeg
    F2055B01-6058-451D-A83F-B698D4154B9B.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
“Is this your idea of a romantic break?” we’re the words uttered by my wife on the way here.
Well, we did stop off for Black-headed bunting, Red-footed falcon, Montagu’s harrier, Bee-eaters and Eleonora’s falcons so I guess I can see her point. I didn’t even see them all.
As Martin (Houdiny)says, I followed Jason’s immaculate pin-drop and was waiting for the bunting when Martin arrived.
“You are in the wrong place” he said.
Having moved to the correct location, we heard the bunting calling straight away. We got closer and closer to the call until we reached the tree it was calling from.
A couple of birds flew out, a Serin and I think a wagtail but I believe Martin saw it flying.
I had to go back to pick up Jane but happily, Martin got a super photo.
I went straight back to the site, heard it again I saw it atop a bush before it flew straight off. It seems quite flighty, probably not used to all this attention.
So, I must find a nice place for dinner in Porto Pollença (any recommendations please?) and all will be well.
I had better go to a couple of markets and a few shops too.
See you at the tower in the morning then. I will break the news gently.
Mike.

A walk around the "Pollenca back lanes" today brought us a Woodchat Shrike, Red-legged Partridge and Black Vulture to add to the list.

In the Torrent de Sant Jordi were two Eels around 2 foot long, weight about 2lbish and probably 20 years old.

Onto Albuferta a Pochard, Black-winged Stilt and young looking Yellow Wagtail.
In the ditch behind the hotel a large crab wa in combat with a smaller one !

A quick walk to the Finca at Boquer produced a single Redstart. This gives us 41 species for the trip.

Tomorrow Albufera and a few bogey birds.

Hi Honeym
I think I read that Black-headed bunting had been reported once but the details were not submitted. This then, should be the first authenticated record..i think, but no doubt someone else will know more.
Mike

Our hotel is next to Can Cuarassa which is convenient.
A short walk around the area produced hundreds of Common swift and a few mixed hirundines.
A distant raptor looked suspiciously like a Honey buzzard but I’m fairly confident I will see some tomorrow.
Mike

A great day out in the sunshine today starting with a walk around the back lanes near Campanet Caves. I followed this with a walk to the nearby Fonts Ufanes area ending in the woods at the monument, never seeing another person in over 2 hours. A first Hobby of the year was a bonus but there were also several wryneck, woodchat shrike, Hoopoe, stone curlew, red kite and kestrel to keep me entertained. Wren, blue tit and dunnock all regulars at home but uncommon here were added treats. I shall return!!

Bird feast today at s'Albufera with the following Red-crested Pochard, Marbled Duck, Little Grebe, Great-crested Grebe,Little Bittern (a bogey bird),Purple Heron, Night Heron,Squaco Heron, Grey Heron, Marsh Harrier,Red-knobbed Coot, Purple Gallinule,Common Tern, Gull-billed Tern,Yellow Wagtail (blue headed) Nightingale and Collared Pratincole(lifer for both of us)

Other bogey bird, Moustached Warbler unseen again.

Another Swallowtail butterfly seen.

A brilliant day met some interesting people and purchased the Birds of Mallorca book at last.

Now shattered not enough hours to cover the full reserve but what a place.

Hi Honeym
I think I read that Black-headed bunting had been reported once but the details were not submitted. This then, should be the first authenticated record..i think, but no doubt someone else will know more.
Mike
Hi Mike and Martin
De Juana and Garcia mention 3 records of Black-headed Bunting in the Balearics between 1992 and 2008 but don’t give any further details. Rebassa et al record it as “Divagant” in Mallorca - think that basically means vagrant but I’ve not seen the English edition of their book.
However it turns out though, it’s a cracking find!
Graham

Hi Mike and Martin
De Juana and Garcia mention 3 records of Black-headed Bunting in the Balearics between 1992 and 2008 but don’t give any further details. Rebassa et al record it as “Divagant” in Mallorca - think that basically means vagrant but I’ve not seen the English edition of their book.
Graham
PS Mike - Cellar La Parra is a great restaurant in Carrer de Joan XXIII in PP!

I began the day yesterday at Albercutx tower with Phil A shortly joined by Jane and Mike M. There followed a couple of hours of very few birds although we did have a close up female peregrine, lots of swifts including a pallid, 2 honey buzzards and a couple of kestrels. As we were about to leave a group of 6 griffon vultures drifted past close in and at eye level. They disappeared from view for 10 minutes or so and then returned along the reverse route again close in. With a constant stream of visitors and cyclists we decided to move on to Albufera main reserve. We had a singing nightingale showing clearly in a tree, an unusually obliging Cetti’s warbler, a collared pratincole on the scrapes next to Sa Roca but little else of note. I finished the day with a couple of pints at Rosa Blanca with my brother and while we were sitting in the back garden a group of about 12 bee eaters came over low down, calling as they went. Another lovely sunny day.

Attachments

• A1E9D458-9B21-40A8-A37C-8ED20741A60A.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 264A2076-B6D3-4822-936D-B187F8DCBCD4.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 425D2BBD-9AA1-4D9B-AE3C-087C1D62FBA9.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 76A1C442-44D7-4FD7-A7E1-CC48DFFEA2D1.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 21
Hey, thanks for the comments. Just got around to taking a look at previous records of Black-headed Bunting, and it's basically what Graham said. Three records accepted by the rarities comittee (and some records which predate the rarity comittee I believe, but don't have details of), as follows:

Vall de Bóquer (Pollença) Male 11 May 1998 P. Morrison, S Morrison Published Ardeola, 47-1
S'Albufera Male 5 May 1996 H. Franklin, et al. Published Ardeola, 47-1
Vall de Bóquer (Pollença) Male 30 April 1996, R.J. Puxley, M.J. Puxley Published Ardeola, 45-1

So first record since 1998, and I can't imagine it wasn't a Balearic Islands tick for many of the folk who managed to see it!

Thanks Graham and Jason. I believe the bunting was seen yesterday.
As it was calling and singing, I’m hoping it stays for a while. I’m going again tomorrow as it’s been keeping me awake. The views I had were fleeting and poor so it’s the old story of “to tick, or not to tick, that is the question”.
I would regard myself as a very honest person in all respects, but when it comes to birds, I find myself trying to convince myself that I saw certain features when actually I didn’t. My wife thinks it’s very funny but I do wish I could be a bit more discerning.

Nice photos David. The tower was alarmingly quiet, it’s just one of those years so far. I blame the weather.
It was good to meet your brother and to wander round the reserve with Phil.

It’s been interesting staying in the north for three days. There are more birders up here for one, great to meet up with many of you. It’s closer to the action in spring with most reserves close by. The atmosphere in the evenings is the most impressive with all terraces full of happy tourists all enjoying eating outside, something we Brits don’t get to do very often back home.
It’s a very jolly place to be. Thank you Port de Pollença, it’s now going to be an annual spring break for us.
I’m sure all the lucky people coming here are looking forward to their holidays, it’s an amazing place to spend time.
Mike

Hi Mike and Martin
Graham
Hi Graham
Thanks for this.
Two citations are given in Homologacio de rareses ornitologiques a Mallorca i Formentera. Informe de 2000 by Lopez-Jurado, Carles Anuari Ornitologic de les Balears 15, pp.37-49. One in 1998: "Mallorca: vall de Bóquer (Pollença), un mascle, 11 de maig (P. Morrison i S. Morrison)" and another in 1996: "Mallorca: Parc Natural de s'Albufera, un mascle, 5 de maig (H. Franklin i altres/Banbury Ornithological Society)".
Ernest Garcia is a friend so I'll ask him if he has any other references.
Martin

Last edited:
A few more photos to add to Geordie Dave`s earlier post, there's also a few more from last Friday`s day out with Dave and Mick.
As Dave said earlier there wasn't to much action at Albercutx yesterday but the lovely sunny weather and fabulous views made for some compensation. I also had a very distant Northern Wheatear and a brief fly by of a Blue Rock Thrush.
So we`ll just have to try again at the tower and hope get a few Honey Buzzards passing through.

Attachments

• IMG_2719 (1).JPG
    IMG_2719 (1).JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    738.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2591 (1).JPG
    IMG_2591 (1).JPG
    619 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 19
Hi everyone! :) A quick stop to mention that today has been a great they here at La Gola. Many species seen for the first time this year!
Turtle Dove (Streptopelia turtur), Eleanora's Falcon (Falco eleanorae), Red Kite (Milvus milvus) and Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus).

We visited Son Real today for the first time and what a lovely place it is too. We chose route
Despite our best efforts neither of the two resident warblers showed although a very brief glimpse of a warbler was had at the coastal scrub.
We added Chaffinch, Linnet, Turtle Dove,Tawny Pipit and Thekla Lark to our list which stands at 68.
A first for us was the 14 tortoises we counted.

We chose route 4 to walk out to the coast and returned via route 3, using the Son Real map available at the information centre. Good easy paths and routes to follow.

We are into our last two days now and would like to thank the young lady at La Gola for all her help.
Thank you for reading.

T&C

My visit to the tower of Albercutx once again produced 5 Honey Buzzards and 3 Aguilucho Laguneros - Marsh Harriers.
At the Albufereta I had 3 Bee Eaters flying over and some kind of white domestic goose far out in the distance. All the regular birds were present as well.
I decided to have a quick look around the depuradora of Son Bosc, which turned out to be a good idea since there was a Short Eared Owl briefly flying above me and beautiful Slender Billed Gull swimming in front of the watch tower.
I’ve actually never had SEO in Mallorca, so that one was quite the bogey bird for me.

Cheers
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back