• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (2 Viewers)

When I was at the Boquer in June I noticed that fencing had been erected and that stone/gravel and some drain pipes had been delivered. I assumed that this meant that the council was going to properly repair the car park or that work was about to start on building another villa. When I returned in late July nothing had changed and I thought this was maybe due to the slow down of building work in the summer months. On both occasions there were no cars parked as the majority of the area was fenced off. I’m back again this weekend and intrigued to take another look. Incidentally I always park among the apartments on the other side of the roundabout since some break ins to cars a couple of years ago.

Hi Ian
Identification of lone raptors in the sky is always difficult as is judging the size. It looks big but my guess is it’s a Booted eagle.
The the pattern on the upper wing matches a dark morph bird but the real clincher for me are the “landing lights” just where the front of the wing meets the body.
Anyone else is welcome to have a go though.
Mike
For me it is a dark morpho booted eagle, the back design, the landing lights, the abundance in Majorca, while imperial eagles has been seen never in Balearics.

Hi all, I'm coming out on Monday 26th and fly back Friday morning. Only a quick visit but hoping to come for a full week in the spring. First time in 3 1/2 years so really looking forward to coming back. I have been reading the thread in anticipation!!

I think we'll only get the chance to go to the Boquer and La Gola this trip but hoping to see some good birds whilst there. It will mostly be a chilling holiday as we both need to recharge after we lost my Mum suddenly a couple of months ago. Any sightings for anything in and around Puerto Pollensa would be great. I'll be checking back regularly to keep track.

Happy birding

Rach

Last edited:
Thank you for thoughts on parking at the Boquer.
Two Sandwich Terns at the reef in front of Pollensa Park this morning.
I now know why the Audouin’s prefer this bit of the beach. Apparently locals feed them bread here which is why they walk right up to you. 200mm lens would be ideal rather than my 400!
Certainly no juvs; a couple of the 30 odd show some immaturity but virtually adult.
If anyone comes across any juvs or imms please let me know. We will probably do some longer drives next week
Thanks
Matthew

Fifty three species in the first two days mainly around S'Albufera nothing out of the ordinary though.
Target bird Moustached Warbler has been its mysterious self again plenty of flights but just will not give that perfect pose.
This morning a Monarch butterfly at the notice board area near the Observation Hill (point 6) on the map of the reserve it then flew over the lagoon, this was a spectacular surprise.
Lots of mozzi bites...little blitters
T&C

Thank you TonyCath for the tip-off about mosquitoes. We are going Sunday so I will prepare.
Moustached warblers can be difficult, flight views across the channels is about all you get sometimes.
I saw quite a few together from the depuradora to the extreme left by the sluice gate when looking out from the tower. It’s a good place outside the breeding season.
Good luck for the rest of your stay.
Sorry to say that the recent report of Pectoral sandpiper was erroneous.
Mike

Hi all, I'm coming out on Monday 26th and fly back Friday morning. Only a quick visit but hoping to come for a full week in the spring. First time in 3 1/2 years so really looking forward to coming back. I have been reading the thread in anticipation!!

I think we'll only get the chance to go to the Boquer and La Gola this trip but hoping to see some good birds whilst there. It will mostly be a chilling holiday as we both need to recharge after we lost my Mum suddenly a couple of months ago. Any tips for anything else in and around Puerto Pollensa would be great. I'll be checking back regularly to keep track.

Happy birding

Rach

I think we'll only get the chance to go to the Boquer and La Gola this trip but hoping to see some good birds whilst there. It will mostly be a chilling holiday as we both need to recharge after we lost my Mum suddenly a couple of months ago. Any tips for anything else in and around Puerto Pollensa would be great. I'll be checking back regularly to keep track.

Happy birding

Rach
Rach
I’m arriving back on Saturday for 3 weeks also based in Port de Pollenca. You don’t say whether you will have a car. I can recommend Albufereta for a couple of hours visit, you can also catch the Alcudia bus which stops next to it. If you’re up for a nice walk you could try the Llenaire road at the back of PP, walk up past the entrance to the hotel and a little way after turn left and go along the Cami Volatina which eventually brings you out on to the road in front of the sea. Turn left there and head back into town.

A chance to visit the hide at Son Real this morning.
I arrived ar 12.00 expecting very little activity, however within a few minutes the first guests arrived.
Birds seen at the pond or nearby included:
  • Goldfinches
  • Greenfinch
  • House Sparrow
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Hoopoe
  • Med. Flycatcher
  • Blackbird
  • Crossbills
  • Serins
  • Linnet
  • Sardinian Warbler
  • Great tit
  • Common Pheasent
  • Nightingale
Other birds seen or heard in the park included Ravens, Wyrneck and Cetti Warblers.

Attachments

• 51CB10AD-EA83-4634-9C64-23C1521F8027.jpeg
    51CB10AD-EA83-4634-9C64-23C1521F8027.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 135A41B8-44FA-4A5A-A7D1-DED96CB552BC.jpeg
    135A41B8-44FA-4A5A-A7D1-DED96CB552BC.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 5167F68D-3149-476A-ACFA-6D9F00949486.jpeg
    5167F68D-3149-476A-ACFA-6D9F00949486.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1DAE35C3-322B-4DA2-AB02-FC0BBD90E5E3.jpeg
    1DAE35C3-322B-4DA2-AB02-FC0BBD90E5E3.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 4A52588C-FAA8-426C-B88E-B18B5DE67FFD.jpeg
    4A52588C-FAA8-426C-B88E-B18B5DE67FFD.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 10
  • C02E4BD4-EA52-47D4-B6FE-1ACCC108D46B.jpeg
    C02E4BD4-EA52-47D4-B6FE-1ACCC108D46B.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 8A03B490-40FE-43D1-916E-4D3EF658FBB5.jpeg
    8A03B490-40FE-43D1-916E-4D3EF658FBB5.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 11
  • C734C9BE-FEE2-4915-BBC1-026378AE5D1E.jpeg
    C734C9BE-FEE2-4915-BBC1-026378AE5D1E.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 48BE931B-2F8F-4F13-9F9F-EA67F2A93ED5.jpeg
    48BE931B-2F8F-4F13-9F9F-EA67F2A93ED5.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 13
Rach
I’m arriving back on Saturday for 3 weeks also based in Port de Pollenca. You don’t say whether you will have a car. I can recommend Albufereta for a couple of hours visit, you can also catch the Alcudia bus which stops next to it. If you’re up for a nice walk you could try the Llenaire road at the back of PP, walk up past the entrance to the hotel and a little way after turn left and go along the Cami Volatina which eventually brings you out on to the road in front of the sea. Turn left there and head back into town.
Hi, thanks for that. We won't have a car unfortunately. I think we'll just be staying in PP this time but may stretch to a Llenaire road walk if we feel energetic. We did do it once but I think my husband lost the will to live as I was stopping every few metres to check for birds. He doesn't mind birdwatching but he likes to see things easily and isn't one for searching them out 😆.

Look forward to hearing about any sightings in the area. Will I be to late for Balearic Warblers in the Boquer?

Thanks

Rach

When I was at the Boquer in June I noticed that fencing had been erected and that stone/gravel and some drain pipes had been delivered. I assumed that this meant that the council was going to properly repair the car park or that work was about to start on building another villa. When I returned in late July nothing had changed and I thought this was maybe due to the slow down of building work in the summer months. On both occasions there were no cars parked as the majority of the area was fenced off. I’m back again this weekend and intrigued to take another look. Incidentally I always park among the apartments on the other side of the roundabout since some break ins to cars a couple of years ago.
well be interesting to find out as I may be there next week

Hi, thanks for that. We won't have a car unfortunately. I think we'll just be staying in PP this time but may stretch to a Llenaire road walk if we feel energetic. We did do it once but I think my husband lost the will to live as I was stopping every few metres to check for birds. He doesn't mind birdwatching but he likes to see things easily and isn't one for searching them out 😆.

Look forward to hearing about any sightings in the area. Will I be to late for Balearic Warblers in the Boquer?

Thanks

Rach
Balearic Warblers are resident, but are more difficult to find later in the year (they’re a bit more straightforward when the males are singing and when they’re feeding young).

The best place in the Bocquer is around the top of the slope to the sea, both in the last 50m or so to the left of the main paths before the slope, and on the slope itself. They are also often off to the right on the slopes above the little bay, and occasionally further back along the valley once they disperse.

If you don’t know it, it’s worth familiarising yourself with the call - it’s often the giveaway to their presence. Here’s some examples: Results for 'Balearic warbler' :: page 1 :: xeno-canto

Stew

Just out of interest on the butterfly front, 20 Monarchs were found at Mortitx today and others all around the Island including Porto Colom I believe.
A bit of head-scratching to ponder where they have originated from.
Apparently they are polyvoltine (many generations in the year, thanks John via Stew) so they may well be established here although that aspect is out of my depth.
Others may hopefully contribute but in any event, it’s a wonderful and colourful addition to the wildlife of Mallorca.
Mike

A vist to Son Real today needless to say no show for the two target warblers again....
We walked from the Can Picafort end and had a great view of Crossbills drinking in the pool at the hide.
A total of sixty nine species seen since Monday. I think that is the top end for us.
Hopefully back at S'Albufera tomorrow morning soaked to the skin with mozzi repellent.
You are right about those Moustached Warblers Mike, just that short flight between channels is the best we get ever get.

We meet Mike and Jane at the wonderful town of Petra. Very historic and beautiful sites to be seen. In addition my favourite site for tree sparrows but I failed badly, though Mike managed to see a fleety bird.
We had a very pleasent walk around the surrounding coutryside.
Many Thekla larks singing on the wing, Lots of Stonechats plus a few Whinchats, Serins, Sardinian Warblers, Med. Flycatchers and Goldfinches. At least 3 Red Kites, 2 Booted Eagles and several Kestrels kept us company.
For lunch, we decided to enjoy a local Pa amb oli in the busy Square. The locals suddenly shouted and pointed to something in the sky and called us over.
Blimey, 2 Black Vultures flying low over the town.
An Excellent End to our adventure. Thanks Mike and Jane for great fun.
(Photos M. Montier).

Attachments

• 9C2098EA-2884-42F4-829F-0C4043DF29DC.jpeg
    9C2098EA-2884-42F4-829F-0C4043DF29DC.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 17
  • D0AD3C63-0B7D-4C37-A2AB-8E95C718FD49.jpeg
    D0AD3C63-0B7D-4C37-A2AB-8E95C718FD49.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 346399AD-05E7-45C3-BED4-DF48BB4A6D57.jpeg
    346399AD-05E7-45C3-BED4-DF48BB4A6D57.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Mike for such a great day and my favourite lunch, pa amb olí.
It was all lots of fun and as you say, two low cinereous vultures to finish the day off.

Phil Akers sent me some superb photos of 10 Oystercatchers he saw at Son Real today. Good numbers are being seen from this part of the coast.
Mike

Made our first visit of the trip to the Water Treatment lagoons viewing platform this morning. Only a single Yellow-legged Gull abs a few Black-headed Gulls. However, a very large flock of Yellow Wagtails in the fields behind the houses but too far away to scrutinise from the carpark or track. I guess 100+ birds. None were visiting the lagoons. Maybe they would do in the late afternoon? Still two Sandwich Terns in front if the Pollensa Park hotel.

Matthew

The water treatment works, often referred to as the Depuradora is situated in the south side of Albufera reserve. Assuming you have a car; drive past Albufera entrance heading towards Can Picafort. As you reach the edge of Can Picafort you will arrive at a roundabout. Take the first right in the filter lane. Very shortly after is another roundabout, take the right exit. Continue for about 1 mile and you will see a large grey bus garage shed. Turn right here. You are now on the Son Bosc road and it is worth taking your time driving down there as bee eaters breed here, woodchat shrikes and stone curlews are fairly common. You are on the lane to the water treatment works. After about a mile look carefully for a small binoculars sign on a post of the left hand side. Turn down this rough, stoned track into a full de sac end where you will see a viewing platform platform looking over the treatment ponds. Good for ducks, waders, harriers, Squacco heron, little bittern, egrets, hoopoe and a collection of raptors. In the past we’ve had bluethroat, moustached warblers and a number of hirundines and terns. A scope is useful here if you have one. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• C024D3AE-C3BA-49B9-8818-85E4EB51CF2F.png
    C024D3AE-C3BA-49B9-8818-85E4EB51CF2F.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back