• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

Hi Mike
There are WhatsApp groups in Mallorca.
Putting the news on here will ensure the news gets out, but there will be an obvious delay and news of top birds like your Slender-billed gulls, needs to get out quickly.
I’m not sure there is a facility for temporary enrollment but I will ask next time I see the administrators.
At the very least, I can send you my number so you can send me a message which I can then tell the locals about.
I can also send you up-to-date news about what’s around.
I put out a Collared flycatcher which Phil A found a couple of years back, and as a result, many locals got to see it. My mobile was on fire so it works both ways. Many great birds have been found by visiting birders.
Mike

Yesterday was my last day of birding on this latest, 2 weeks visit. Peter S, Kevin and I met at Depuradora first thing. You should note that the last 200 m of track to the tower are now fenced off and you can only drive as far as the large pair of metal gates on your right. A small parking area, enough for 2 cars, has been strimmed there. The ponds were very quiet with a few yellow wagtails and sandpipers the only birds of note. We moved on to Cami des Pols and walked most of the way up the west boundary of Albufera. Again it was very quiet. Our next stop was at the main reserve where we had some better luck. Moustached warblers were calling on the way in, Sa Roca was quiet but Es Cibollar was more productive. We saw 6 little stint, as many dunlin, common redshank, greenshank and a bar tailed godwit and had several stone curlew fly through. The other usual suspects of plover, stilts and avocets were well represented. On hearing news of a spotted crake and bluethroat at Albufereta we headed there to the Sa Barcassa hide but sadly couldn’t find either. We unanimously agreed that our final stop should be at Aries Bar in Gotmar, Port de Pollenca for a couple of pints. Peter tells me we walked 15,000 steps in the day when it was 22-24°. I returned to Newcastle on the early flight this morning. The weather has been excellent for the last 2 weeks, birding very quiet but very enjoyable and the company even better. 115 species on the trip with nothing out of the ordinary to report. I’ve been unable to get to Cuber, Lluc or Mortix because of the road closure following the bad weather so maybe missed out on 1 or 2 more. With reports in the last couple of days of purple heron and lesser kestrel it seems that migration is getting underway. I’m back again in mid April for a 4 weeks stay, full of hope as ever!!

Regarding the track at Depuradora we asked at Albufera reception and they told us that it is to stop kids driving down to the platform for parties!! I’m not sure how this is going to stop them though. Since all the vegetation was removed I too have driven down and used my car as a hide before going on to the platform. I guess they will monitor success or otherwise?

Attachments

• 69EB0C52-3B3E-4090-BB0E-6A08190DE3BB.jpeg
    69EB0C52-3B3E-4090-BB0E-6A08190DE3BB.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 19
The Salobrar de Campos was cool and misty this morning - I'd arrived expecting the sky to clear and to be too warm on my walk, but far from it, the sun didn't put in an appearance till I was nearly back at the car. However, the good news is that the track is now largely negotiable without wellies but for one spot near the pump house at the end. And there was plenty of life in many of the ponds, starting with flamingoes numbering in the hundreds, avocets and shelducks by the score plus plenty of black-winged stilts, all ensuring that the special atmosphere of the place was enhanced by their cries. Waders large and small were present, including redshank of both kinds, greenshank, little stint, dunlin, kentish plover and a solitary grey plover, and in the background marsh harriers in comparatively large numbers, including one particularly impressive male. The picture was completed by plenty of "small change" such as Sardinian warbler, black cap, nest-building linnet and zitting cisticola, not to mention a fine pair of yellow wagtail, a barn swallow and my first swifts of the year, who will certainly be able to gain plenty of strength for their onward journey judging by the numbers of mosquitos in the air. The trip was rounded off by a red kite circling above just as I got back to the car. A lovely outing before breakfast! Oh, and I just added a close-up of a flower with a snail from our field – at least the snail doesn't fly off when you have it in focus.

Mallorca20230325-12.jpg Mallorca20230326-19-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230326-57-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230326-82-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230326-105-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230326-141.jpgMallorca20230326-126.jpg

hi guys. Im staying at puerto pollensa for a long weekend in early May. I have two days guided birding sorted out but wondered if there were any good locations for birds or butterflies in walking distance of the town.

Also how easy will Ibiza wall lizard be in town and is there anywhere in walking distance from town for midwife toad?

hi guys. Im staying at puerto pollensa for a long weekend in early May. I have two days guided birding sorted out but wondered if there were any good locations for birds or butterflies in walking distance of the town.

Also how easy will Ibiza wall lizard be in town and is there anywhere in walking distance from town for midwife toad?
Hi Owene,
I’m not an expert, but I’m not aware of any sites in the north for Ibiza Wall Lizard. I’m happy to be corrected of course! The only site I know is in Palma, on the rocks along the north side of the large pool below the cathedral, where I’ve found them to be straightforward.

From reports that I’ve read, the midwife toad is far from straightforward, known from only a few sites in the Tramuntanas, where successful attempts have involved local guides.

I hope that maybe I'm wrong and that you get more encouraging information from others!

The Bocquer Valley is in easy walking reach of the town, and La Gola is actually in town for local birding.

Good luck!

Stew

Thank you,good to know the situation . I’m obviously going through Palma so I’ll have a go there for the lizards before I get to Pollenca

I’ll have a talk to my guides about the toad but I guess it may be impossible

Thank you. That was a good read. The ibiza looks doable but the toad seems a bit beyond what's going to be possible. I should be visiting cabrera which I think has the lilfords lizard

I met up with Kevin H at the Son Real bird hide yesterday morning. The conditions were perfect, Sun, blue sky and not windy. Quite early on a couple of Red Legged Partridge made an appearance; very handsome birds. They had a brief drink and then left. We were hoping that a late Hawfinch might make an appearance but no. We did however see lots of Greenfinch and Goldfinch and a Pheasant was lurking nearby, chock chocking occasionally. It`s never easy to decide how long to wait in a hide but after an hour without anything of significance turning up, we decided to move on to pastures new.
Next stop Son Bosc. At the Bus depot, we made what has now become an obligatory stop, to find Tree Sparrows and we were rewarded with about half a dozen. It really is becoming the go-to place to find them. We then drove on to the electricity sub station where we found male and female Black Redstarts, a Kestrel and lots of Goldfinches.
On to the platform at the depuradora. There were Marbled Duck, a Water Pipit with a very pinky breast, Common-Green and Wood sandpipers, Common and Red Crested Pochards. There were several Marsh Harriers around and a Big, probably female Peregrine Falcon flew over. Best of all, there was a solitary Whiskered Tern. It was on the go none stop, gliding, swooping and diving. I could have watched it all day.
Moving on to the Albufera. We spent a while scanning the field between the 1st 2 hides looking for Pipits and Wagtails but there were none to be seen. The conditions at Sa Roca were ideal for waders and there were plenty of Kentish and Little Ringed Plovers on show. There were a few Teal still around, a couple of Snipe and Shelducks.
The 2 Es Cibollar hides were next. What a delight, lots of birds. Ruff, at least 35, the most I've seen at the Albufera, Avocets, BW Stilts, Little stints, Greenshank, Flamingos. Unusually, no Spotted Redshank.
A very enjoyable day out with Kevin and of course things are only getting better now that April is nearly upon us and lots more birds will be arriving.

Attachments

• IMG_9605.JPG
    IMG_9605.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9619.JPG
    IMG_9619.JPG
    1,012 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9693 (1).JPG
    IMG_9693 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9706.JPG
    IMG_9706.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9716.JPG
    IMG_9716.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9718.JPG
    IMG_9718.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9601.JPG
    IMG_9601.JPG
    456.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9585.JPG
    IMG_9585.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9598 (1).JPG
    IMG_9598 (1).JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9565.JPG
    IMG_9565.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9557.JPG
    IMG_9557.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9549.JPG
    IMG_9549.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9535.JPG
    IMG_9535.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9533.JPG
    IMG_9533.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
..... and to update the access; the barrier has been re-instated so just parking room for two or three small cars. Beware of not blocking the roads as very large tanker lorries gain access through the big gates.
I also note the thick hedge down to the platform gas gone.

Attachments

• 043E4CE5-2291-48DF-98E3-09777DDF063E.jpeg
    043E4CE5-2291-48DF-98E3-09777DDF063E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • 22C67514-2F16-4E9D-BD51-4ADAAD6C65CD.jpeg
    22C67514-2F16-4E9D-BD51-4ADAAD6C65CD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back