• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

Hi Mat.
The reports of Monarch butterflies have been pretty much Island-wide.
They are still being seen in good numbers, I certainly saw quite a few before going away.
I’ve just stepped back indoors after a tiresome day so I will look into it, but as far as I know, there are plenty around.
Mike

Thanks Mike;
The Whiskered Tern still at the Albufera water treatment works this afternoon plus a Quail calling, heard from the platform in the adjacent grass field.
Final day unfortunately with little active migrants this week. Nice to be here though, 40 years since first spring time visit in a very different time.

What an amazing day today.
I met up with a group of six British birders to explore the Cap de Ses Salines and surrounding areas, including the salt pans.
I have reached a point in life where the company is at least as important as the birds and what a delightful and lively group they were.
All very well travelled with lots of fascinating stories to tell. I just wish there had been more time.
The birds didn’t perform too well but there were large numbers of both Balearic shearwaters and Scopoli’s shearwaters at the Cap.
After a short walk led by Jane, we moved down the Camino de Sa Barrala.
There were Zitting cisticolas, Corn bunting, lots of Greater flamingoes, Black-winged stilts, Avocets and a nice group of 9 Garganey. Lots of Marsh harrier, Barn swallows, House martins and my first Common swift of the year.
A young tern flew past and up high and away. It was rather sooty looking all over and it was agreed that it was probably a young Black tern.
A mystery raptor flew by but I couldn’t locate it in the scope. There are some photos on the way so that will at least answer that one.
We visited the shop at the salt works and enjoyed a well-earned coffee before driving down the Es Trenc road. There we saw many Kentish plover and a few Little stints.
That just about concluded a fabulous day out. It was sad to part company but I hope we meet again some day.

Visiting birder Max had a field day with a splendid male Pallid harrier and a Spotted crake. He also reported many common migrants like common redstarts, Tree pipit, Wood warbler and a few Alpine swift. All up north of the Island.
Things are definitely on the move!
Mike

I have really missed my regular seawatching from Porto Petro so I was on site early tonight.
I was amazed to see hundreds were already streaming past.
I use two clickers, the right-hand one for Balearic and the left for Scopoli’s.
I could hardly click fast enough, so much so that I got cramp in my hands.
2,645 was the total for Balearic and 2,067 for Scopoli’s.
I was pleased as punch but just as I was leaving, a message came through from the local seawatching group of 8,256 and 4,048 respectively.
I was a bit deflated.
I hearby give up trying to photograph them too. Out of 244 photos, these were the best ones.
You should see the others.
Mike

Attachments

• 5F9AA254-BF65-44D2-B905-606548E75A71.jpeg
    5F9AA254-BF65-44D2-B905-606548E75A71.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 32
  • EE80C328-1C05-4EB3-9956-74E0EDED72E6.jpeg
    EE80C328-1C05-4EB3-9956-74E0EDED72E6.jpeg
    597.5 KB · Views: 32
  • AAEEF46F-8235-4C6C-A480-BCC6CDE5E738.jpeg
    AAEEF46F-8235-4C6C-A480-BCC6CDE5E738.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 28AA1EBA-A99E-4370-916C-AC84FA8EAD4C.jpeg
    28AA1EBA-A99E-4370-916C-AC84FA8EAD4C.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 26
  • A8D38C12-24A0-489F-985F-4FDDE8EB1B75.jpeg
    A8D38C12-24A0-489F-985F-4FDDE8EB1B75.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 83EE0F2D-27F2-45CB-B602-3AAE76787529.jpeg
    83EE0F2D-27F2-45CB-B602-3AAE76787529.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 29
  • A6431C1E-7D1F-4580-AA27-0E357493A070.jpeg
    A6431C1E-7D1F-4580-AA27-0E357493A070.jpeg
    722.2 KB · Views: 30
Big numbers of Garganey being seen.
After warm winds and some good migration, the wind is a bit cooler and as far as I know, it’s been a quiet day.
A few optimistic locals are braving the tower at Albercutx but it’s been deathly quiet. It’s very early yet but as is always the way with birding, you just never know.
Egyptian vultures being seen regularly around the area though which is nice, it’s a great bird to see.
Soon, the tower will become the place to be, it can be spectacular on the right day, with raptors flying overhead and sometimes at head height.
I certainly have so many fond memories of being there with Honey buzzards all around.
And then there are the days with nothing. Just ask Geordie David. It’s where I first met him and I have an enduring memory of us huddled up against the wall sheltering from the brutal cold. with the most miserable expressions. I have a photograph but I will spare him the embarrassment. I promised him and Kevin a great day which is of course, the kiss of death.
Mike

The common swift were present by the score at the Salobrar this morning Mike, as were a group of sand martins along side good numbers of the usual inhabitants of the location. As things began to warm up and the mosquitos began to show, the swifts appeared, dozens of them swooping around the paths at head height, a magical experience.
By the way, I have witnessed migrating common swift several times at the Salobrar now and I am pretty sure that they use the paths as landmarks to navigate by, it's striking how they follow them in their flight paths. Jolly hard to photograph though, but here is one shot (blurry) just as a swift is about to swallow a mosquito.
And I also had a smile to myself when I saw a luxury SUV (German registration) abandoned and up to its axles in the mud. That'll cost him.

Mallorca20230403-51.jpg Mallorca20230403-74-ORF_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230403-85-dng_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230403-111-ORF_DxO.jpgIMG_3364 copy.jpeg

I really didn’t mean to laugh derban, but I’m afraid I did.
I’ve seen so many “go-anywhere” 4x4’s in exactly the same predicament down that Camino.
Quite why anyone would want to drive down there baffles me. It’s only a short walk.
Nice photos by the way. I was driving past the salt pans when I saw all the swifts and martins. I forgot to mention Sand Martin, I only saw two but there were hirundines and swifts everywhere.
See you tomorrow I hope.
Mike

Also, Salobrar de Campos is the best place I know to see early groups of common swift, often in their hundreds. As you say, it’s a very moving experience. I just stand there and marvel at their agility and I also think about the journey they have undertaken. Incredible.
I hope to get there again soon. It was mid April last year when I found a group of eleven Lasser kestrel, hunting over the fields just past the pump house down the end of the track. They stayed a couple of days so there must have been a good food source there.
I hope they turn up again this year, they were a beautiful sight.
Mike

Big numbers of Garganey being seen.
After warm winds and some good migration, the wind is a bit cooler and as far as I know, it’s been a quiet day.
A few optimistic locals are braving the tower at Albercutx but it’s been deathly quiet. It’s very early yet but as is always the way with birding, you just never know.
Egyptian vultures being seen regularly around the area though which is nice, it’s a great bird to see.
Soon, the tower will become the place to be, it can be spectacular on the right day, with raptors flying overhead and sometimes at head height.
I certainly have so many fond memories of being there with Honey buzzards all around.
And then there are the days with nothing. Just ask Geordie David. It’s where I first met him and I have an enduring memory of us huddled up against the wall sheltering from the brutal cold. with the most miserable expressions. I have a photograph but I will spare him the embarrassment. I promised him and Kevin a great day which is of course, the kiss of death.
Mike
Mike I remember it well. Kevin and I arrived in the dark, you turned up 4 hours later. Cold day and we managed 2 birds in 6 hours. Considering all that I look remarkably happy. It was the first time you and I met, not the best of starts I suggest. Nonetheless it has turned in to an enduring friendship with plenty of laughs and great birding days along the way. See you in 2 weeks time.

Attachments

• 02729388-3AB5-407D-A99A-30B426FC1800.jpeg
    02729388-3AB5-407D-A99A-30B426FC1800.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 30
Hi — I will be visiting Mallorca for the first time shortly. Neville Davies’ book mentions a site for Scops owl at a children’s play area next to a Civil Guard station along the seafront at Port de Pollença, however, there don’t appear to be any recent records from here on eBird. Is this still a reliable spot or can someone suggest somewhere better?

Hi Tris
I hope someone from up north responds because I’m not sure there is a reliable site for Scops owl around Pollença.
There used to be one at the back of an hotel but it got boarded up I believe.
If anyone knows perhaps they could help.
I always go down the road to Son Bosc near dusk as Pep suggested but that’s some way from Pollença.
The owls sit on the fences which makes them easier to see.
Mike

Hi Tris
I hope someone from up north responds because I’m not sure there is a reliable site for Scops owl around Pollença.
There used to be one at the back of an hotel but it got boarded up I believe.
If anyone knows perhaps they could help.
I always go down the road to Son Bosc near dusk as Pep suggested but that’s some way from Pollença.
The owls sit on the fences which makes them easier to see.
Mike
Thanks Mike – We’re actually staying in Alcúdia so Son Bosc is convenient.

Hi Tris- to repeat a sad story often rehearsed on this site, there were Scops Owls in Port de Pollenca, often in the area you quote near the Guardia Civil barracks by the sea front childrens playground at the Carrer de la Xarxa, just south of La Gola. The breeding site varied but in 2010 I tracked it down to the rear of the Hotel Pollentia, viewed from the back lane adjacent to the gardens of the Pollensa Park Hotel. The owls nested in a ventilation duct, and were there from 2010 to 2016. However, arriving in spring 2017, I found that the nesting site, and indeed all the ventilation ducts, had been boarded up, hence no sight or sound that year. I have not visited since 2017, but the trail has gone cold, although I believe some have been heard in the Gotmar area a bit inland.

Fortunes have changed at the tower, Albercutx, with Adolfo recording 4 Black kite, 2 Marsh harrier and a magnificent male Montagu’s harrier.

I was on the balcony this morning having coffe with Jane and talking to her about the Great spotted cuckoo that flew past during lockdown and saying it’s about time another rarity turned up. Just as I said that, one did!
A Jackdaw flew towards us and up over the apartment, calling as it did.
Jane was the first to say that it was a Jackdaw whilst I jumped in the air, shouting its name loudly.
“Why, is it unusual”? Jane enquired.
She says it called three times but I was overcome and just heard two calls.
Pep suggested it maybe (probably) was the Felanitx bird flying back to near where it was originally found, looking for a mate.
I’m pretty sure it must have been, they are very rare and I can’t imagine there are two. Maybe, but unlikely.

Hundreds of Common swift moving through today.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back