• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

Couldn't believe I managed to wangle another couple of hours out today, though with wife and daughter in tow I wasn't going to push my luck. Walked to the hide at Son Real and had some good views of a Hoopoe, and Corn Bunting and a Nightingale bathing, and a close up of a Med Flycatcher. Then a quick look at the Depuadora and found 5 Black Tern feeding right next the tower. No sign of Bee-eaters, but then I wasn't hanging about too much.
Then, back at the finca I went for a short walk to do some landscape photos and stumbled across a Woodchat Shrike in a nearby field. What a shame I only had my 150mm lens with me as he sat up nicely on a bush in the sun.

Attachments

• Woodchat Shrike.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Had a scour through my photos of the Little Bittern from yesterday and I'm glad I looked really close before deleting them. I managed to get this sequence of the adult feeding the juvenile and then being chased out of the reeds. With all those reeds in the foreground and around the birds it was extremely lucky that any were in focus. I'm glad you found them this morning Ian, hope you had some great views?

Attachments

• Little Bittern 01.jpg
    Little Bittern 01.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • Little Bittern 02.jpg
    Little Bittern 02.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • Little Bittern 03.jpg
    Little Bittern 03.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • Little Bittern 04.jpg
    Little Bittern 04.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • Little Bittern 05.jpg
    Little Bittern 05.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • Little Bittern.jpg
    Little Bittern.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Walked to 'Refugi de Lavanor' (Mortitx) in search of Balearic Warbler but did not find any. You are not permitted to walk any further as a notice board says birds nesting from 1st February to 30th June. Highlights: Great views of 2 Griffon vulture on a rock nearby. 2 Cinereous Vulture circling. Rain started so a quick return. By the vineyard, 1 x Cirl Bunting and 1 x Firecrest.

I saw Scops Owl (on a perch, then fly away) at 20.45 from the Can Cuarassa track this evening. A nice way to finish a week on my favourite island, as we fly back to the UK tomorrow. Great to meet fellow birders, new and old, (not saying you are old Kevin lol) and thanks to all those who take the trouble to post their sightings. Thanks to Mike M for administrating this forum (was hoping to bump into you again but I guess we were too busy birding). Maybe, hopefully I will bump into a few of you again in late July, early August. Take care, Ian

Managed to get a bit of birding in whilst packing my man bag. OK, so I was pushing it a bit. At Albufera had great view of Little Bittern again for 5 mins, then another 5 mins whilst it tried unsuccessfully to camouflage itself. Then off to lunch at a finca, well-off the beaten track, just past Pollença golf club. We heard some unusual calls in the mulberry tree right next to where we were sitting, which I recorded a few times, and only suggested Golden Oriole. I moved slowly 2m to get a proper view and I saw the bird fly off without me clearly identifying it. Anyway the bird reappeared and I got 3 viewings and so I can now add Golden Oriole to my life list. One happy bunny!

Managed to get a bit of birding in whilst packing my man bag. OK, so I was pushing it a bit. At Albufera had great view of Little Bittern again for 5 mins, then another 5 mins whilst it tried unsuccessfully to camouflage itself. Then off to lunch at a finca, well-off the beaten track, just past Pollença golf club. We heard some unusual calls in the mulberry tree right next to where we were sitting, which I recorded a few times, and only suggested Golden Oriole. I moved slowly 2m to get a proper view and I saw the bird fly off without me clearly identifying it. Anyway the bird reappeared and I got 3 viewings and so I can now add Golden Oriole to my life list. One happy bunny!
Once heard never forgotten ( from a birder who has to re-learn warbler calls every spring!)

Chris

Mike Montier and I met Kevin at the Depuradora early doors with a frisky wind blowing, but luckily Mike stayed warm as toast. My target for the day (and Mike's) was quickly fulfilled – 100 birds for the year for me thanks to tree sparrows, black terns (special favourites), sand martins and a lifer for me, a red-rumped swallow, self spotted! Then the lads undertook to find a bee eater for my list, which was duly achieved on the way to the horse paddock. Other star turns were a purple heron, zitting cisticola, great crested grebe – and spotless starlings on the Can Cuarassa track, to name but a few. Seven year ticks for me as well as great tips from Kevin including how to bring down your blood pressure. The roller that didn't show was not missed at all, at least not by me. Unbeatable day out!

Mallorca20230520-94-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230520-110-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230520-135-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230520-151-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20230520-215-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230520-225-DNG_DxO.jpg

It was indeed a fabulous day David.
Your excellent sum up of the day made me laugh.
We won’t go into the blood pressure business.
My wife told me not to forget my jacket first thing this morning.
I forgot it.
It was a a bit fresh I have to admit.
Nothing else to add, it was just another one of those magic days.
Well done for finding that splendid Red-rumped swallow, you even managed a photo!
Thanks Kevin and David,
Mike

Ugly, bad and good...........

Our trip contained all of the above sadly.
Ugly: a birder approaching a Stone Curlew nest to get a better photograph despite having a telephoto lens to try to get a shot of eggs, the nest was in a finca and was clearly visible just 20 yards away.
Different birder climbing over a gate clearly marked as private and padlocked and telling me he goes anywhere he wants.

Bad and funny: A birder telling me he and his mate had seen either 40 or 60 Red footed Falcons all together last Wednesday, then admitting he was prone to exaggeration ??

Good: we didn't hit our target list of eight birds ticking just three, hitting the post with four and not getting close with one, are we disappointed? Are we hell as like, we had a fantastic time on a brilliant Island and met a couple of great people.

It was last Sunday 14th on the sewerage plant road a car pulled up, wound the window down and asked do you speak Inglish? " Aye I replied just a bit" enter Pollenca Ian. Our paths would cross a few times on the trip, down at the Dep and at Can Cuarassa twice.

In post 724 I mentioned my dilemma in leaving some items in the safe at the hotel within minutes Ian replied and offered to retrieve the items for me as he was due home on Saturday. An email and phone calls to the hotel and Ian safely had my items which were collected from him this morning. Thank you so much.
He and Delores are a great couple of people, you deserve all those birds you have ticked this week Ian, very little luck involved just good home/groundwork and the determination to go out and find them.

All the best

T and C

There are some wonderful birders out there who are helpful, kind and considerate.
Nearly everyone I meet is happy to stop, chat and share experiences.
Sadly, over the years, I have met some not so nice people.
Most photographers are also considerate but again, it’s just the minority who have to get that all important close-up. I must say, photographers do get some stick, sometimes deservedly so.
I guess it’s all part of birding but it’s still very sad.
Good old Ian! I’ve met him once and I’m not at all surprised he offered to help.
So glad you enjoyed this beautiful Island TonyCath and I hope we meet next time.
Mike

Ugly, bad and good...........

Our trip contained all of the above sadly.
Ugly: a birder approaching a Stone Curlew nest to get a better photograph despite having a telephoto lens to try to get a shot of eggs, the nest was in a finca and was clearly visible just 20 yards away.
Different birder climbing over a gate clearly marked as private and padlocked and telling me he goes anywhere he wants.

Bad and funny: A birder telling me he and his mate had seen either 40 or 60 Red footed Falcons all together last Wednesday, then admitting he was prone to exaggeration ??

Good: we didn't hit our target list of eight birds ticking just three, hitting the post with four and not getting close with one, are we disappointed? Are we hell as like, we had a fantastic time on a brilliant Island and met a couple of great people.

It was last Sunday 14th on the sewerage plant road a car pulled up, wound the window down and asked do you speak Inglish? " Aye I replied just a bit" enter Pollenca Ian. Our paths would cross a few times on the trip, down at the Dep and at Can Cuarassa twice.

In post 724 I mentioned my dilemma in leaving some items in the safe at the hotel within minutes Ian replied and offered to retrieve the items for me as he was due home on Saturday. An email and phone calls to the hotel and Ian safely had my items which were collected from him this morning. Thank you so much.
He and Delores are a great couple of people, you deserve all those birds you have ticked this week Ian, very little luck involved just good home/groundwork and the determination to go out and find them.

All the best

T and C
This post is so funny 😁. And it brings back memories Tony as I was wondering how I met you, and now I know. I think I was on a mission to see my first Bee-eater. And I too bumped into someone who said they'd seen over 40 RF falcons. Yes some great birders out there and by sharing info we all get to benefit. I did take a dozen photos on my brand new point and shoot compact camera, which I dropped on the third day so need to check out if they are OK; not had time today as been birding and picked up a lifer at RSPB Burton mere. Thanks for your very kind comments Tony and I've a feeling we'll be meeting up pretty soon here in the UK!

I don’t have a good record for making predictions but I will stick my neck out and say that I very much hope a Black-winged kite makes it here one day soon.
I see that the first one has been seen in the UK and I understand that their range is expanding so why not?
The Central Plain seems like a good place and with the influx of Red-footed falcons, I’ve been anxiously watching the sky for anything else.
You just never know.
Mike

I don’t have a good record for making predictions but I will stick my neck out and say that I very much hope a Black-winged kite makes it here one day soon.
I see that the first one has been seen in the UK and I understand that their range is expanding so why not?
The Central Plain seems like a good place and with the influx of Red-footed falcons, I’ve been anxiously watching the sky for anything else.
You just never know.
Mike
If you’re going to dream, dream big!

Back in good old Blighty, had nothing to add to the list after Friday, spent Saturday packing and moving back up to Palma to try and get some sun again before flying home late Sunday. As always, had a great time on the island, lovely to meet Ian, and once again thanks for the help, and anyone else I may have spoken too while I was out. 74 species on the list, not bad considering it wasn't a birding holiday, no lifers but a few new birds for my Mallorca list. Loads of photos to work through, will try and post once done. Have a great summer everyone, and I'll be back out in September, should be a birding holiday but it may be getting hijacked, we shall see.

Haven't been out birding since last Friday, but anyway I haven't been able to report or post photos. I`ve had big problems with my laptop but thankfully everything is now working properly 👍. So I thought I`d post a few recent pics. I`m off out tomorrow, not sure where yet but the weather is beginning to improve.
Cheers all.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1184.JPG