• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (4 Viewers)

Off on my annual pilgrimage to Parc Mondragó tonight to hear, and hopefully see, one of my all-time favourite birds, that secretive, crepuscular bird of the half light, the European nightjar.
Mission accomplished with three churring males.
Wing-clapping and a calling bird also heard.
Then one flew right overhead, swooping and fluttering as it went. Top marks for that display. Gives me goosebumps every time.
Unbelievably, I also heard my first Scops owl of the year. I used to hear them from my apartment all through the winter, but no more. The new hotel and apartments nearby put paid to that.
Also, a big fall of spring migrants on both Cabrera and Dragonera today, so there is still some migration underway.
We are going to a quiz in Pollença tomorrow so I will pop into the depuradora on the way home to see what’s happening.
I’m missing all those nice reports from visiting birders, you’ve all gone home!
Mike

A report of 30 Honey buzzard was received early this morning, seen by Jason on Cabrera, so our departure for the Pollença quiz was brought forward somewhat.
I went hot-foot to Cap de Ses Salines but saw nothing.
At Pollença, I just caught one Honey buzzard flying overhead.
Having done well at the quiz, we made for the depuradora. There I met Derek and Barbara from Northumberland. They had just seen an Egyptian vulture so I missed it by a couple of minutes.
A weird male Marsh harrier went over, giving us a bit of a problem as it appeared to have a white rump. Presumably, the same bird was reported this morning by Phil Akers. We concluded it was an odd Marsh harrier.
We had an interesting conversation about birding all around the world and I could have listened for hours more.
We made for Maria though and we were rewarded with a pair of Red-footed falcons. What beauties they are.
I rather gathered that it was time to head for home as it had been a long day.
Mike

Attachments

• 264F0D82-C514-4B8A-A329-5586468CD5D0.jpeg
    264F0D82-C514-4B8A-A329-5586468CD5D0.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 36
  • E77BD4CF-4DB4-4CE5-B4B4-196BF88B170F.jpeg
    E77BD4CF-4DB4-4CE5-B4B4-196BF88B170F.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 00DFC789-1754-44BB-AA51-1EDE17250D5D.jpeg
    00DFC789-1754-44BB-AA51-1EDE17250D5D.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yesterday`s bird outing began at Cala St Vicence, in the small wood opposite the hotel La Moraleja at the beginning of the one way system.
There were Blue Tits and Fire Crests calling and as I made my way along the path, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Serin and Goldfinch were heard and seen. It was wonderful just strolling along accompanied by the bird song. As I approached the gateway which gives way to the Fisherman's Walk I paused for a few minutes and waited, scanning the trees, hoping for a Willow or Wood Warbler but no luck.
I had a brief uphill walk along the stony path. I found one Balearic Warbler, 2 Ravens and a Griffon Vulture but there was little else to be seen or heard.

The next port of call was Son Bosc, leading on to the Depuradora. At the bus depot I found a Tree Sparrow which was a good start. But driving along down the lane there was little to be seen, I was hoping for a Bee Eater or 2 on the power lines but they weren`t showing.
At the Depuradora there were lots of birds to be seen. Including : Shelduck, Common and Red Crested Pochard, Marbled Duck, Little Ringed Plover, Common Terns, Nightingale and Cettis Warbler. It was fantastic to see the numbers of chicks out the water with their parents. It was great to see that they had all bred so succesfully.

I finished the day with a couple of hours at the Albufera. It was great to see the canal side Heronry bursting with life, with Night Heron, Little and Cattle Egret and Glossy Ibis, flying in and out with nest material and food. At the Sa Roca hides there was a similar mix of birds as were at the Depuradora with the addition of Glossy Ibis. There was also a threesome of Stone Curlews which were tucked into the vegetation close to the waters edge. When I was there last week they were there in exactly the same spot.
I next visited the 2 Es Cibollar hides. There were mainly Avocet, Black Winged Stilt, Shelduck and Common Tern, with a smattering of Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers. There was one solitary bird that I was having a little difficulty with. The size and shape of the head and the bill was saying to me Grey Plover but I hadn't seen one before with the markings on the neck and breast. Apparently it was coming into summer plumage ?
So, at the end of the day I had seen 49 species and had an excellent day out. The Depuradora and the Albufera always manage produce a good variety of birds.
Cheers all.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    506 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    972.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1470 (2).JPG
    IMG_1470 (2).JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1422 (1).JPG
    IMG_1422 (1).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    553.9 KB · Views: 10
There was one solitary bird that I was having a little difficulty with. The size and shape of the head and the bill was saying to me Grey Plover but I hadn't seen one before with the markings on the neck and breast. Apparently it was coming into summer plumage ?
Quite right Phil. You can see from your pic why they're called "Black-bellied Plover" in America.

Mike Montier and I met Kevin at the Depuradora early doors with a frisky wind blowing, but luckily Mike stayed warm as toast. My target for the day (and Mike's) was quickly fulfilled – 100 birds for the year for me thanks to tree sparrows, black terns (special favourites), sand martins and a lifer for me, a red-rumped swallow, self spotted! Then the lads undertook to find a bee eater for my list, which was duly achieved on the way to the horse paddock. Other star turns were a purple heron, zitting cisticola, great crested grebe – and spotless starlings on the Can Cuarassa track, to name but a few. Seven year ticks for me as well as great tips from Kevin including how to bring down your blood pressure. The roller that didn't show was not missed at all, at least not by me. Unbeatable day out!

View attachment 1511095 View attachment 1511096 View attachment 1511097 View attachment 1511098 View attachment 1511100View attachment 1511101
Managed to dip on spotless starling every time been to Mallorca!

I went to visit a close friend in hospital at Inca this morning.
All so sad to see a good mate at the end of the road.
I popped into Vilafranca on the way there to try to cheer myself up a bit. Birding is always there, and it did not disappoint with one Red-footed falcon hovering, 2 Common kestrel, 1 Lesser kestrel and many Eleonora’s falcons patrolling the area. I counted 11 but there were probably more. Some were circling overhead when a female Peregrine joined them. What a nice contrast it was to see them together. Obviously, being a female, it was a tad bigger and more bulky and a great comparison opportunity.
Also, 5 Spotless starlings, Quail, Red kite and many Corn buntings and Short-toed larks.
Birding is the best medicine.
Mike

Trip round main hides at S’Albufera earlier today produced all the expected birds. Only 2 night heron is lowest I’ve seen on any visit, what happened to those that used to line the waterway on the way in year after year?!
3 purple herons on different places.
Possible booted eagle at distance but not 100% and fleeting glimpse of little bittern. Nightingales as good as I’ve ever seen was a treat if not a rarity. Stone Curlews between usual 2 hides on grass with more yellow wagtails than I’ve seen for a while. Highlight was good view of Eleonora falcons with 3-4 singles before lunch with a group of 7 to south a bit later. I’m lucky to be staying at one of the hotels overlooking the reserve and had good views of a single Osprey over the reserve at 4.30. Regrettably my birding will be confined to this area due to no car for this week but still pretty decent to keep me entertained.
The red foots that were mentioned earlier on posts, are they within cycle distance at all as would love a chance on those?
Chris.

Hi Chris
Not really cycling distance I’m afraid. The nearest would be at Maria de La Salut which is about 20 minutes by car from Albufera.
Albufereta may be the best bet in the hope of seeing one of the birds from the plains heading north.
Honey buzzards should be coming through too so good luck with that.
All news I get goes on here so it will at least keep you up to date with all the latest sightings.
Have fun.
Mike

A gentle stroll to the lighthouse tonight on this grey day was pleasant enough.
Loads of Balearic flycatchers with a different one every few paces, some looking darker than others.
A few Scopoli’s shearwaters way out to sea but I didn’t stay late enough for most of the action which occurs one hour before dark, with an outside chance of Storm petrel.
Cap de Ses Salines tomorrow so I hope to see some raptors around, plus you just never know.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN5409.jpeg
    DSCN5409.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5421.jpeg
    DSCN5421.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5427.jpeg
    DSCN5427.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5430.jpeg
    DSCN5430.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
I made my way to the Salobrar again this morning, the forecast rain did not materialise till later. There was not much to report, very quiet in fact. But I was interested to see what Merlin bird ID came up with with the bird in the photo – many thanks to Kevin, by the way, for recommending the app, especially as it is already helping me to improve my totally deficient skills in identifying birds by sound. Anyway, the photo ID suggested this was an olive backed pipit. Rather more likely to be a juvenile yellow wagtail I think.

Mallorca-230529-34-dng_DxO.jpg

I made my way to the Salobrar again this morning, the forecast rain did not materialise till later. There was not much to report, very quiet in fact. But I was interested to see what Merlin bird ID came up with with the bird in the photo – many thanks to Kevin, by the way, for recommending the app, especially as it is already helping me to improve my totally deficient skills in identifying birds by sound. Anyway, the photo ID suggested this was an olive backed pipit. Rather more likely to be a juvenile yellow wagtail I think.

View attachment 1512694
Red-throated Pipit?

Chris

View attachment 1512694
Yes, juvenile Yellow Wag for me too, still showing a yellow gape line.

I went to Vilafranca today on my way to lunch at Es Cruce.
I counted at least 22 Eleonora’s falcons in the distance.
I drove over to where I’d seen them and there was not a single one to be seen.
I scanned around and relocated them right above where I had just come from!
There must be a moral there somewhere. “Stay put” maybe.
So I did, and they returned.
Getting photos with my P900 is not possible, just these pretty useless offerings.
Oh for a decent set-up.
Also, lots of Red kite, Short-toed larks and many Swallowtail butterflies.
I love the Central Plains, I just can’t get enough of the place.
The cost of the lunch was unbelievable and the quality top-notch.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN5535.jpeg
    DSCN5535.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5521.jpeg
    DSCN5521.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN5508.jpeg
    DSCN5508.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN5505.jpeg
    DSCN5505.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5492.jpeg
    DSCN5492.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5489.jpeg
    DSCN5489.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 32
Another trip to S’Albufera today completed the list I’d expect to see there with exception of Moustached Warbler which haven’t even heard. Highlights today were little bittern, squacco heron and booted eagle. Kentish plover with young so close to hide I had to stand up to see them below window!
Osprey being seen every day late in afternoon and/or early evening.
Wished I could get further afield but it’s great local birding all the same.

Staying in Alcudia and having to stay fairly close by. Was going to Albufereta today but forecast looks very hot and no cover so will head to SAlbufera again! Yesterday however headed to Son Real with the usual suspects around but two particularly intersti g sightings was one of a very pale looking marsh harrier looking more like a pallid particularly when looking at black tips on underneath of wings . Will post photos when get back ! And not bird related but saw at least 13 tortoises crossing the path of route 4 from the beach to the hide! At the hide there were also at least 3 maybe it’s a time to be out and about and looking for amour if you’re a Mallorca tortoise! 🤣.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back