• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (1 Viewer)

This morning after dropping Mrs B off for the market at Pollenca I drove round to park near the Roman Bridge and walked across the road to walk up the Cami de Ternelles.

I met Rod M at the first roadside reservoir, where the male Orange-winged Dropwing was performing nicely. There was also a Violet Dropwing, two or three Broad Scarlets and a Black-tailed Skimmer. What was possibly a second Orange-winged Dropwing put in a very brief appearance, but disappeared almost immediately in a bit of a melee.

Having passed the squashed corpse of a Cirl Bunting on the way up towards the security gates, we could then hear a Cirl singing from behind a high fence. Sadly it remained unseen.

We paused for only a few minutes near the security gates, but nevertheless were able to see two Black Vultures.

On the walk back down we found another Orange-winged Dropwing on the higher reservoir - the first we’ve seen away from the first one. The original insect and it’s companions were still on the first reservoir when we returned.

After picking up Mrs B we went for tea and cake at the Hotel Llenaire. An Eleanora’s Falcon and a Red Kite were drifting around in front of the terrace and a Blue Tit was drinking from the formal pond near the Hotel entrance.

Stew

Attachments

• 7F815024-D11F-42E4-B3BD-EE84DB16A515.jpeg
    7F815024-D11F-42E4-B3BD-EE84DB16A515.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
With a busy day ahead before our early flight home tomorrow, I got Mrs B to drop me off at Gotmar at about 8.15. I then walked back to the apartment via the backroads of Siller and then across to La Gola.

There were no surprises, just the pleasure of seeing the “usual suspects”. There were plenty of Serins, Mediterranean Flycatchers, Sardinian Warblers, Fan-tailed Warblers, lots of Greenfinches and Goldfinches and Hoopoe. Stone Curlews were calling from the stubble fields. I did, at last, manage to clap eyes on a Cirl Bunting (a female).

Presumably because of the onshore wind, the breakwaters at Puerto Pollenca were partially submerged. Nevertheless a few Audouin’s Gulls and Shags were perched on the remaining exposed rocks. A bit further along the seafront two adult Audouin’s Gulls were loafing on a concrete jetty. They really are a gorgeous bird!

We’ll be back in September!

Stew

Attachments

• 1FDE42CF-068E-44DC-BCA6-4C8F6CA9BBC8.jpeg
    1FDE42CF-068E-44DC-BCA6-4C8F6CA9BBC8.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 0558FC0E-84B9-4598-929D-0BCB2EA2400E.jpeg
    0558FC0E-84B9-4598-929D-0BCB2EA2400E.jpeg
    820.9 KB · Views: 15
It was a sweltering and very humid 38 degrees on the Central plain when I popped in there after visiting a friend in hospital in Inca today.
Although it was virtually devoid of bird life, I felt very grateful to be able to walk out of the hospital.
My friend doesn’t have that luxury.
I believe it’s a very good time at the moment for Dragonflies and Butterflies, as per StewB and others.
Two newly fledged Marsh harriers have been seen on the wing, nice to know they are up and about.
Red kites are doing very well with lots seen on my way across the Island.
Common swift are swirling around every town and village in large groups in the evenings, just waiting for the off.
The countryside is now looking parched so high summer is almost upon us.
There will be some return migration of waders soon so that should perk things up a bit.
Safe trip home Stew, see you in September.
Mike

With a busy day ahead before our early flight home tomorrow, I got Mrs B to drop me off at Gotmar at about 8.15. I then walked back to the apartment via the backroads of Siller and then across to La Gola.

There were no surprises, just the pleasure of seeing the “usual suspects”. There were plenty of Serins, Mediterranean Flycatchers, Sardinian Warblers, Fan-tailed Warblers, lots of Greenfinches and Goldfinches and Hoopoe. Stone Curlews were calling from the stubble fields. I did, at last, manage to clap eyes on a Cirl Bunting (a female).

Presumably because of the onshore wind, the breakwaters at Puerto Pollenca were partially submerged. Nevertheless a few Audouin’s Gulls and Shags were perched on the remaining exposed rocks. A bit further along the seafront two adult Audouin’s Gulls were loafing on a concrete jetty. They really are a gorgeous bird!

We’ll be back in September!

Stew
Safe journey home Stew!

Chris

I went to Cuber with Kevin this morning in search of Moltonis Warbler. Despite 3 hours of searching at the dam, the adjacent wood and the gorge behind we didn’t find any. At no time did we even hear a single scratchy Balearic/Sardinian/moltoni or Dartford type call. We did see 3 vultures on arriving and another very large raptor that didn’t look like a vulture, decent tail and wings all wrong. We’ll never know!! We also expected to have wryneck calling but again drew a blank. A group of 9, possibly 10, blue tits was the most I’ve seen in mallorca but otherwise it was a quiet and overall an underwhelming day. 28° and Cuber looking stunning, a really enjoyable morning. I shall return next week to try again.

Last day for me today. Spending the day at the pool I had two eagles taking some height and flying in the direction of can Picafort from Alcudia. Felt bigger than booted eagle but I didn’t have my binoculars with me to be certain.

I’ve been to Albufera with Peter S today, hot and humid and not many people about. About 100 egret and ibis in the roost on the canal. Stone curlew, marbled duck and plenty of Kentish, ringed and little ringed plover on the ponds around Sa Roca. A few young Arctic terns and black winged stilts around causing some ID confusion. Water levels at Cibollar are high, no small waders but lots of shelduck, avocets and stilts about. The pick of the day was undoubtedly a great reed warbler at the back of Ses Pardes pond, often heard but rarely seen. We watched a calling bird for more than 20 minutes perched on the top of a reed giving excellent photo opportunities. Best views ever?? I’m told we had 37 species today. Thanks Peter

Attachments

• 0BB6FA59-82E9-4A78-AD88-16568F9E0B56.jpeg
    0BB6FA59-82E9-4A78-AD88-16568F9E0B56.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • A03A86F3-4D40-4944-8904-876397C5D336.jpeg
    A03A86F3-4D40-4944-8904-876397C5D336.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
  • F72765D5-727C-4275-BB9B-E9A689BA33C4.jpeg
    F72765D5-727C-4275-BB9B-E9A689BA33C4.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 197ADB84-1E4A-498A-B15D-D85EB319B74E.jpeg
    197ADB84-1E4A-498A-B15D-D85EB319B74E.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 14
I’m sorry about the lack of news recently.
It’s that time of the year when it all goes rather quiet and I haven’t received any sightings at all.
I’ve been out briefly a few times but it’s sweltering hot.
I was out on a boat today and there was very little movement there either, just 2 Balearic shearwaters and a few Scopoli’s shearwaters following boats where the water had been churned up.
It was a bit like the M25 out there with a vast array of boats of all shapes and sizes.
There were some juvenile Yellow-legged gulls, adult Audouin’s gulls and many Pallid swift which nest in the cliffs.
On my return home, I noticed a Hoopoe sunning itself so I couldn’t resist a few photos.
Some bird news soon I hope!
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN5930.jpeg
    DSCN5930.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5903.jpeg
    DSCN5903.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5960.jpeg
    DSCN5960.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Just a couple more shots from today as our local Hoopoe is getting even more bold.
Interesting study of the plumage details.
I have arranged to go to the depuradora at s’Albufera on Wednesday so I hope to have something else to report.
In the meantime, I was trying to think of a name for the bird, something I have never done before.
Perhaps Harry the Hoopoe.
Oh dear, must be the lack of birds but I do remember lots of long-staying rarities with names, Sammy the Stilt at Titchwell, George the Glaucous gull at Cley and the lonely albatross very aptly called Albert Ross.
Any more memories?
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN6054.jpeg
    DSCN6054.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN5997.jpeg
    DSCN5997.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 13
Mrs Geordie arrived on Wednesday so the last few days have been quiet. When I say quiet I mean in a birding sense and not in any other regard as she hasn’t stopped talking since she got here!!. I can only assume she’s been missing me? We’ve had barn owls calling most nights behind our apartment in Gotmar, Port de Pollenca and we know they breed very nearby. Today we had an early drive to Cuber, the trip was very enjoyable now that the hoards of cyclists have gone. We spent a couple of hours walking around the reservoir and saw 3 griffon vultures and singles of black vulture, booted eagle, red kite and raven. Having taken time to stop at the dam wall and the quarry we were delighted to find a Moltonis warbler on the way to the refuge. I put it up from the path before finding it in the woods. It gave good but flighty views before it moved on and I couldn’t relocate it. We stopped at Placa Major in Pollenca town for lunch on the way back. It was a delight to watch 15-20 swift screeching through the town, I’m not sure how long they will remain for. A beautiful day when the temperature got to 38°, it’s just as well we remembered to take on fluids. Tomorrow Albufereta.

Just a couple more shots from today as our local Hoopoe is getting even more bold.
Interesting study of the plumage details.
I have arranged to go to the depuradora at s’Albufera on Wednesday so I hope to have something else to report.
In the meantime, I was trying to think of a name for the bird, something I have never done before.
Perhaps Harry the Hoopoe.
Oh dear, must be the lack of birds but I do remember lots of long-staying rarities with names, Sammy the Stilt at Titchwell, George the Glaucous gull at Cley and the lonely albatross very aptly called Albert Ross.
Any more memories?
Mike
A friend of mine who saw his first Hoopoes on the edge of the Neusiedlersee back in the 1980s gave the species that very moniker, yet it was very different: 'Arry the 'Oopoe...
MJB

Philip Garnett reports a juvenile White-headed duck at Bassa de Can Guidet.
He found one there a couple of years back. It’s a very difficult bird to see here now, following two unsuccessful re-introduction schemes.
Mike

Philip Garnett reports a juvenile White-headed duck at Bassa de Can Guidet.
He found one there a couple of years back. It’s a very difficult bird to see here now, following two unsuccessful re-introduction schemes.
Mike
Hi Mike.Are there any reasons given for the re-introduction failure ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back