• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (3 Viewers)

I managed a few days birding in the north of the island from 8-13 February, so here is a summary!

8th – the best spot was the concrete drain behind Eroski at the flying boat roundabout in PP. I thought Common Sandpiper, Chiffchaff, Black Redstart were good but I was to see a few (!) more of all of these…a walk up Boquer showed Black Redstarts everywhere, and 2 dark phase Booted Eagles overhead. A single Lapwing was faithful to the boggy field below the Juaneda sign. Time to hire a car…

9th - Can Cuarassa is one of my favourite spots but there was little there, but Albufereta was a different story. GW Egret in the drain, 2 Ospreys over, Corn Bunting singing, dozens of Flamingos (good views from the Calle Tintoretto screen, flying bright against the mountains) lots of Shoveler, Greenshank and Green Sandpiper, a couple of Pintail, and Kite, Marsh Harrier and Kestrel. A local birder (was it Pep?) asked keenly if I had seen Larus Melanocephalus, but sadly all I saw was lots of BH Gulls.

10th – the wonderful Gabriel at the La Gola centre gave me lots of pointers, the first being how to turn right before Lidl to get to Maristany, where the bushes in the downwind corner of the small pond held many fishing Chiffchaffs (well, taking insects from the surface like hirundines). I decided to try for some flight shots – a good way to spend many hours and if you are lucky get one good picture in 50. Then, via the old rice ponds which were quiet, to Son Real, where a single Fieldfare flew over as I arrived. Serins in the woods, Chiffchaffs on the puddles, more Black Redstarts, silent Robins and Song-thrushes, a covey of Partridges, and my first visit to the hide, where (you guessed) there were Chiffchaffs but not much else. The Depuradora on the way home gave a huge flock of Shoveler on the first pond, where the gate was open. They flew together over to the next one, which was a beautiful sight. As I arrived at the newly exposed tower a blue head in the triangular field on the left jumped up as a male Hen Harrier – the best bird of the trip though it quickly melted into the reeds. The evening sun illuminated Common Sand and a ?Yellow Wagtail (I think - I’ll try to add photo for opinions).

Finally the Amarador tower, with the reed pool full of jumping fish and RC Pochards (species not religion). There were several Marsh Harriers after sunset all floating in the same rough direction – do they roost communally like Hen Harriers? A good day.

11th – storm clouds had cleared from the hills so I headed for paradise, aka Mortixt, where the beauty of the walk made up for a lack of variety in the birds – the usual Black Redstarts and Chiffchaffs, and hundreds of robins scattered among the rocks (rock’n’robin in every direction). A Blackcap in the forest, and a Wren being for once a true troglodyte in the crevices. One Black (Cinereous) Vulture but oh the joy of those empty (plane-free) February skies. Today’s flight shots were Stonechats and Black Redstarts hawking over the reservoir. Then I followed Gabriel’s recommendation and drove to Orient via Caimari (this was fun). The village was full of friendly Mallorcans enjoying a weekend walk. The fields only held a few Songthrushes but what a beautiful spot. Next time I will book the restaurant too. In the distance on the crag called El Castello a big eagle was gliding over the forest – it might have been just Booted but the jizz seemed Bonelli’s to me – I can’t claim it though. More fun going down the hairpins to Bunyola where a proto-murmuration was passing over, then home for the rugby in a café on the Pine Walk, which rounded off the day very satisfactorily….

12th – Began up at Albercutx, where there was frankly nothing but a couple of Crag Martins and a distant Blue Rock Thrush on a wire, though sitting at the tower in the warm, still sunshine was great. Then to Albufera, where the highlight was meeting the Hansens in the first Bishop’s Hide. What splendid company – thank you for the Black Tailed Godwit, though the mating Avocets were doing their thing themselves…I can’t control the camera where there are avocets. The birds which Erik mentions that I saw on the way to Es Colombars (always worth peeking through the gaps) were singles of Golden Plover, Ruff and Wood Sandpiper and a couple of Spotted Redshanks. We passed a lot more time looking out to the power station from that brilliant hide, till a small boy appeared and dangled a reed out of the window and everything flew off, cormorants and all! Wanting an even bigger challenge I tried to photograph the Chiffchaffs flitting around the bushes in the evening sun – every time one took off it was like a firefly or a firework as the back light shone through its primaries and tail. The Hansens (I liked their reference to ‘young David from Newcastle’) left me to it. By the time I walked back to the gate (Marbled Teal on the canal, Crested Coots very tame as ever) it was well after closing. Round to the Depuradora again where a young mum and a little girl asked whether the Estornells were coming – I said I thought not and she said she thought the murmuration had moved to Calvia. The ponds held little but hawing BH Gulls.

13th – a shorter day began at Albufereta again, with Greenshank and Kentish Plover on the empty kite-surfers’ beach, but less around than before. At Maristany there were GC Grebes, one collecting weed, and again many chiffchaffs and a confiding Common Sandpiper. Back along the back roads and a stop at a torrent running past the fincas like a highland stream. Just a glimpse of ultramarine was all I saw of a Kingfisher, my last bird making a total of 80 – I have decided to go for a Small Year.

I enjoy reading the Bird Forum all the more for having met so many key contributors and hope there will be good days ahead for everyone. The only time I was in Mallorca in February before was 8 years ago when I had Alpine Accentor in 2 feet of snow on the summit of Tomir. It is a lovely time to be here, even if the feeling is of migrants massing in Africa rather than arriving yet. Wonderful clarity to the light, peace in the environment, and, as always, the pleasure of all those human encounters and conversations.

A footnote: John Busby’s book was my first inspiration for birding in Mallorca, too, and I also love the way his art echoes that of the wonderful Eric Ennion, my childhood bird artist hero. In the 1990s John illustrated a column I wrote (a species a week) for the Glasgow Herald, and it was so exciting to get his drawings through the post before sending them off with my 300 words. Talking of which, this entry is way over the limit. But there is so much to see and tell. Back next month I hope.

Attachments

• 7530706D-7D30-44B8-9F77-4C4FE3D17A1D_1_201_a.jpeg
    7530706D-7D30-44B8-9F77-4C4FE3D17A1D_1_201_a.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 2449F39B-F36E-4B7A-ABCA-B8E5626A2EA6_1_201_a.jpeg
    2449F39B-F36E-4B7A-ABCA-B8E5626A2EA6_1_201_a.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 5C952D4A-43B9-4513-B98E-58E059A0D2A2_1_201_a.jpeg
    5C952D4A-43B9-4513-B98E-58E059A0D2A2_1_201_a.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DFA7BE20-1F2A-42AA-A836-4350E49696B5_1_201_a.jpeg
    DFA7BE20-1F2A-42AA-A836-4350E49696B5_1_201_a.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1C3CC509-6A65-42C1-A32D-C227C8AE884E_1_201_a.jpeg
    1C3CC509-6A65-42C1-A32D-C227C8AE884E_1_201_a.jpeg
    732.4 KB · Views: 25
  • EE9C5F2A-76E1-4F1D-9699-C41F71B77F3F_1_201_a.jpeg
    EE9C5F2A-76E1-4F1D-9699-C41F71B77F3F_1_201_a.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 896FA728-CF6D-464C-B112-1A0260EC6F20_1_201_a.jpeg
    896FA728-CF6D-464C-B112-1A0260EC6F20_1_201_a.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 30
  • B39ADC3C-5CB6-4C2F-BAF0-4DF4233B5D91_1_201_a.jpeg
    B39ADC3C-5CB6-4C2F-BAF0-4DF4233B5D91_1_201_a.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 6A4ADA81-20AC-477A-BE20-3155F4DCC75A_1_201_a.jpeg
    6A4ADA81-20AC-477A-BE20-3155F4DCC75A_1_201_a.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 40
Wonderful report Hugh and some spiffing photos too.
(Sorry about the Old English usage, these words just pop into my head and I don’t think they should die.)
Having been away for a few days, I have missed out on birding. I’m off for a seawatch tonight and I will be at the Cap a couple of times in the coming week.

I managed a few days birding in the north of the island from 8-13 February, so here is a summary!

8th – the best spot was the concrete drain behind Eroski at the flying boat roundabout in PP. I thought Common Sandpiper, Chiffchaff, Black Redstart were good but I was to see a few (!) more of all of these…a walk up Boquer showed Black Redstarts everywhere, and 2 dark phase Booted Eagles overhead. A single Lapwing was faithful to the boggy field below the Juaneda sign. Time to hire a car…

9th - Can Cuarassa is one of my favourite spots but there was little there, but Albufereta was a different story. GW Egret in the drain, 2 Ospreys over, Corn Bunting singing, dozens of Flamingos (good views from the Calle Tintoretto screen, flying bright against the mountains) lots of Shoveler, Greenshank and Green Sandpiper, a couple of Pintail, and Kite, Marsh Harrier and Kestrel. A local birder (was it Pep?) asked keenly if I had seen Larus Melanocephalus, but sadly all I saw was lots of BH Gulls.

10th – the wonderful Gabriel at the La Gola centre gave me lots of pointers, the first being how to turn right before Lidl to get to Maristany, where the bushes in the downwind corner of the small pond held many fishing Chiffchaffs (well, taking insects from the surface like hirundines). I decided to try for some flight shots – a good way to spend many hours and if you are lucky get one good picture in 50. Then, via the old rice ponds which were quiet, to Son Real, where a single Fieldfare flew over as I arrived. Serins in the woods, Chiffchaffs on the puddles, more Black Redstarts, silent Robins and Song-thrushes, a covey of Partridges, and my first visit to the hide, where (you guessed) there were Chiffchaffs but not much else. The Depuradora on the way home gave a huge flock of Shoveler on the first pond, where the gate was open. They flew together over to the next one, which was a beautiful sight. As I arrived at the newly exposed tower a blue head in the triangular field on the left jumped up as a male Hen Harrier – the best bird of the trip though it quickly melted into the reeds. The evening sun illuminated Common Sand and a ?Yellow Wagtail (I think - I’ll try to add photo for opinions).

Finally the Amarador tower, with the reed pool full of jumping fish and RC Pochards (species not religion). There were several Marsh Harriers after sunset all floating in the same rough direction – do they roost communally like Hen Harriers? A good day.

11th – storm clouds had cleared from the hills so I headed for paradise, aka Mortixt, where the beauty of the walk made up for a lack of variety in the birds – the usual Black Redstarts and Chiffchaffs, and hundreds of robins scattered among the rocks (rock’n’robin in every direction). A Blackcap in the forest, and a Wren being for once a true troglodyte in the crevices. One Black (Cinereous) Vulture but oh the joy of those empty (plane-free) February skies. Today’s flight shots were Stonechats and Black Redstarts hawking over the reservoir. Then I followed Gabriel’s recommendation and drove to Orient via Caimari (this was fun). The village was full of friendly Mallorcans enjoying a weekend walk. The fields only held a few Songthrushes but what a beautiful spot. Next time I will book the restaurant too. In the distance on the crag called El Castello a big eagle was gliding over the forest – it might have been just Booted but the jizz seemed Bonelli’s to me – I can’t claim it though. More fun going down the hairpins to Bunyola where a proto-murmuration was passing over, then home for the rugby in a café on the Pine Walk, which rounded off the day very satisfactorily….

12th – Began up at Albercutx, where there was frankly nothing but a couple of Crag Martins and a distant Blue Rock Thrush on a wire, though sitting at the tower in the warm, still sunshine was great. Then to Albufera, where the highlight was meeting the Hansens in the first Bishop’s Hide. What splendid company – thank you for the Black Tailed Godwit, though the mating Avocets were doing their thing themselves…I can’t control the camera where there are avocets. The birds which Erik mentions that I saw on the way to Es Colombars (always worth peeking through the gaps) were singles of Golden Plover, Ruff and Wood Sandpiper and a couple of Spotted Redshanks. We passed a lot more time looking out to the power station from that brilliant hide, till a small boy appeared and dangled a reed out of the window and everything flew off, cormorants and all! Wanting an even bigger challenge I tried to photograph the Chiffchaffs flitting around the bushes in the evening sun – every time one took off it was like a firefly or a firework as the back light shone through its primaries and tail. The Hansens (I liked their reference to ‘young David from Newcastle’) left me to it. By the time I walked back to the gate (Marbled Teal on the canal, Crested Coots very tame as ever) it was well after closing. Round to the Depuradora again where a young mum and a little girl asked whether the Estornells were coming – I said I thought not and she said she thought the murmuration had moved to Calvia. The ponds held little but hawing BH Gulls.

13th – a shorter day began at Albufereta again, with Greenshank and Kentish Plover on the empty kite-surfers’ beach, but less around than before. At Maristany there were GC Grebes, one collecting weed, and again many chiffchaffs and a confiding Common Sandpiper. Back along the back roads and a stop at a torrent running past the fincas like a highland stream. Just a glimpse of ultramarine was all I saw of a Kingfisher, my last bird making a total of 80 – I have decided to go for a Small Year.

I enjoy reading the Bird Forum all the more for having met so many key contributors and hope there will be good days ahead for everyone. The only time I was in Mallorca in February before was 8 years ago when I had Alpine Accentor in 2 feet of snow on the summit of Tomir. It is a lovely time to be here, even if the feeling is of migrants massing in Africa rather than arriving yet. Wonderful clarity to the light, peace in the environment, and, as always, the pleasure of all those human encounters and conversations.

A footnote: John Busby’s book was my first inspiration for birding in Mallorca, too, and I also love the way his art echoes that of the wonderful Eric Ennion, my childhood bird artist hero. In the 1990s John illustrated a column I wrote (a species a week) for the Glasgow Herald, and it was so exciting to get his drawings through the post before sending them off with my 300 words. Talking of which, this entry is way over the limit. But there is so much to see and tell. Back next month I hope.
A lovely report!

I think your photo shows a Water Pipit?

Stew

Conditions at my local lighthouse have thankfully changed since I have been away.
It wasn’t cold, and dare I say, it was quite pleasant.
Numbers of Balearic shearwaters are building up, 457 was the total in 2 hours.
There was nothing else out there, just two possible candidates for Yelkouan but tonight, they were too far out to be sure.
I saw a Blue rock thrush on rocks nearby which I’ve just realised was a year tick.
On a very distant rock, I spotted an Osprey gazing out to sea but being mobbed by two angry Yellow-legged gulls.
My poor Nikon P900 was at full-stretch so the results are poor, but the camera is always good for record shots.
I will have to wait for a day when the shearwaters are passing close by. It happens now and again, so some photos may be possible.
Mike

Attachments

• 5EA33782-A3AE-43E4-B171-E7322FC735E7.jpeg
    5EA33782-A3AE-43E4-B171-E7322FC735E7.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 32
A few Barn swallow trickling in and Biel reports 6 Siskin at La Gola.
Toni P saw 3 Common crane at 2 Temminck’s stint at Salobrar.
It’s a bit of an in-between time at the moment with winter visitors leaving and a lull before the summer migrants start to come through.
Mike

Our mornings begin with looking at birds in the palm tree in the garden. I am surprised how many seem to have breakfast here: stonechat, blackbird, chiffchaff, sardinian warbler, robin, black redstart, blackcap, house sparrow. The other day brought a new one perhaps: the one on one of the photos which we at first thought was a house sparrow, but looking at it on the photo we think it looks like a reed bunting, which I wouldn't have imagined seeing here. If someone has a better opinion, please tell me.
Tuesday late afternoon we went to S'Albufera and hoped the beautiful afternoon would present good things. One of the first things my wife said, when we entered the Cibollar Hide 1 was: "there is something small and very yellow in the mud far away to the left". Our first yellow wagtail this year! A german gentleman who came a little later said he had seen it three or four times here. Apart from the wagtail there was nothing new, but cormorants, grey heron, little egret, shelducks, mallard, teal, moorhen, b-w stilt, avocet, lapwing, snipe, kentish plover. And in the canal gadwell. Walking to the Sa Roca hides we saw more chaffinches than we have done the other times. From the Es Ras Hide we saw one young flamingo, one glossy ibis, marsh harrier, swamphen, teal, mallard, shelduck. On our way back to the entrance we saw black redstart, and we heard a lot of cetties, but we almost never see one. There might have been more different birds, but a beautiful start to the evening it was.
Wednesday I walked to the Depuradora. As usual there were lots of shovelers, shelducks and little grebes. On my walk stonechat, starling, black redstart, chaffinch, goldfinch, song thrush, serin, marsh harrier. Things are mostly repeating themselves, but of course it has its own charme too!

Attachments

• P1031041.jpg
    P1031041.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P1031044.jpg
    P1031044.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1031227.jpg
    P1031227.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P1031240.jpg
    P1031240.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1031079.jpg
    P1031079.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P1031128.jpg
    P1031128.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 31
  • P1031149.jpg
    P1031149.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 30
  • P1031160.jpg
    P1031160.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1031207.jpg
    P1031207.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 30
  • P1031264.jpg
    P1031264.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1031270.jpg
    P1031270.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 31
  • P1030773.jpg
    P1030773.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1030793.jpg
    P1030793.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Not much birding today but I did pop in to three sites for a quickie at each place.
The small waders at Salobrar gave me a headache as usual, but there were Little stints, Dunlin, Ruff and Kentish plover. I didn’t have time to search for the Temminck’s stints but they may well still be around.
The Polo pitch at Sa Barralina produced about 80 Meadow pipits and 60 White wagtails. Also 3 Mistle thrush.
A very brief seawatch showed 3 Scopoli’s shearwaters flying south but there were probably more. I was only watching for ten minutes.
A Puffin was seen from a boat between Menorca and Mallorca I believe.
I’ve only ever seen one in all my hundreds of hours seawatching.
Hopefully some more news soon.
Mike

Attachments

• E48F6978-39A3-4DB6-89FC-B61AF48801DB.jpeg
    E48F6978-39A3-4DB6-89FC-B61AF48801DB.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 165C0858-D86D-4812-9FB7-513958279CCE.jpeg
    165C0858-D86D-4812-9FB7-513958279CCE.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
  • B5DEA62F-C6F3-421F-A448-7670BA36D303.jpeg
    B5DEA62F-C6F3-421F-A448-7670BA36D303.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 8F008747-DC5C-4B0C-9515-2896B3A2CF29.jpeg
    8F008747-DC5C-4B0C-9515-2896B3A2CF29.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 8843DCD6-AD09-4A42-942C-A74562E0F36D.jpeg
    8843DCD6-AD09-4A42-942C-A74562E0F36D.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • EE7A94A4-230F-48CA-B7C4-68EED3061465.jpeg
    EE7A94A4-230F-48CA-B7C4-68EED3061465.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 13
  • 33E43817-F365-434E-86EF-CC7864B8F5F0.jpeg
    33E43817-F365-434E-86EF-CC7864B8F5F0.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
Our mornings begin with looking at birds in the palm tree in the garden. I am surprised how many seem to have breakfast here: stonechat, blackbird, chiffchaff, sardinian warbler, robin, black redstart, blackcap, house sparrow. The other day brought a new one perhaps: the one on two of the photos which we at first thought was a house sparrow, but looking at it on the photo we think it looks like a reed bunting, which I wouldn't have imagined seeing here. If someone has a better opinion, please tell me.
Tuesday late afternoon we went to S'Albufera and hoped the beautiful afternoon would present good things. One of the first things my wife said, when we entered the Cibollar Hide 1 was: "there is something small and very yellow in the mud far away to the left". Our first yellow wagtail this year! A german gentleman who came a little later said he had seen it three or four times here. Apart from the wagtail there was nothing new, but cormorants, grey heron, little egret, shelducks, mallard, teal, moorhen, b-w stilt, avocet, lapwing, great snipe, kentish plover. And in the canal gadwell. Walking to the Sa Roca hides we saw more chaffinches than we have done the other times. From the Es Ras Hide we saw one young flamingo, one glossy ibis, marsh harrier, swamphen, teal, mallard, shelduck. On our way back to the entrance we saw black redstart, and we heard a lot of cetties, but we almost never see one. There might have been more different birds, but a beautiful start to the evening it was.
Wednesday I walked to the Depuradora. As usual there were lots of shovelers, shelducks and little grebes. On my walk stonechat, starling, black redstart, chaffinch, goldfinch, song thrush, serin, marsh harrier. Things are mostly repeating themselves, but of course it has its own charme too!
Erik,
It may have been lost in translation but I think the Snipe in the photo is Common Snipe rather than Great Snipe.
Still, all Snipe are great.😎
Neal

The bird in your first 2 photos looks like a female House Sparrow to me.
We have used some more time looking, and you are probably right. It doesn't really fit with the pictures in our field guide, but the birds probably varies a lot, and it would of course make good sense. And it doesn't really fit with the reed bunting either. Thank you very much for helping. Erik
The bird in your first 2 photos looks like a female House Sparrow to me.

What a very nice report Hugh, and beautiful pictures of birds in flight. Taking photographs helps when it is only "the usual birds" you see, I think. And thank you again for our very nice couple of hours. Erik

I set off yesterday morning for Son Bosc, where I was meeting up with Kevin Hughes at the depuradora. I was a little early, so I spent a while at the bus depot looking for Tree Sparrow, and I wasn't disappointed . I found 6 fairly quickly and managed to get a photo of 2 birds perched in a small tree just behind the bus depot.
I moved on a little further down the lane until I arrived at a field just past the builders yard on the left. I`ve been keeping an eye on this spot for a while. Within a few minutes I found a pair of Reed Bunting perched on a fence to the right of the field, they flew just before I could get a photo. Just at this point Kevin arrived and parked up next to me.
We spent a few minutes scanning around when a large flock of small birds arrived ,about 200. They kept lifting up in a swirl and then dropping down in the field, only to lift up again . Every so often we managed to identify some of them. There was quite a mixture. Linnets, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Starlings and Sparrows. We enjoyed the spectacle while it lasted, but just as quickly as they had arrived, they were gone.
At the Depuradora we were a little disappointed by the numbers of birds on show, although there was a fair number of species. Scanning across all the settling pans we found, Shoveller, Teal, Red Crested Pochard. Gadwall, Mallard, Water Pipit, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, a couple of Marsh Harrier, Grey Wagtail, BH Gull, YL Gull, and a Mediterranean Gull.
On to the Albufera next. At the 3 Sa Roca hides we had Shelduck, Wigeon, BW Stilt, Teal, Lapwing, no small waders.
We crossed over the canal to the 2 Cibollar hides. Walking down the lane to the hides we bumped into Peter Shaw. He said that there were no more species on show at the Cibollar hides than we had seen at Sa Roca. So the 3 of us decided to go down to the Es Columbar hide.
We found about 30 Flamingos, lots of Common Pochard, Cormorants, Spotted Redshanks, Crag Martins. On the small island facing the hide we had Snipe, Little Ringed Plover.
We decided to move on. Just passed the visitor centre on the walk back we heard a Moustached Warbler, we spotted it perched on a reed, but it flew before we could get a photo. We parted company with Peter, Kevin and I went to Maristany.
There was nothing to see but a few Gulls and Coots.
We fitted in a flying visit to La Gola next. Once again there was nothing on show that we hadn't already seen. But then we found an early Yellow Wagtail.
We finished the day at the Albufereta. Viewed from the tower we had Flamingos, Great White Egret, but little else.
Viewed from the Sa Barcases hide. There were no birds on the islands in front of the hide, but there were quite a few distant birds at the far right of the lake. YL Gull, BH Gull, Shoveller, Lapwings, Flamingos,
Overall a good day out. Looking forward to birding with Kevin In March.

Attachments

• IMG_8750.JPG
    IMG_8750.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8773 (1).JPG
    IMG_8773 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8783.JPG
    IMG_8783.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8801.JPG
    IMG_8801.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8806.JPG
    IMG_8806.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8818.JPG
    IMG_8818.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Clearly there has been a big influx of Scopoli’s shearwaters.
After seeing less than a handful two days ago, I logged 117 examples tonight.
There were more but they were right out at sea.
Incredibly, they outnumbered Balearic shearwaters with only 113 of them going south.
It rained most of the night and our local paper says we are in the “eye of a storm” but I can’t say I’ve noticed, it’s just a bit cooler.
I also saw 3 Gannet, a Lesser black backed gull and a Sandwich tern flew past and into Porto Petro bay.
I’m meeting Mike Swiss at the depuradora tomorrow morning which will be fun. I had better wrap up warm if the Daily Bulletin is to be believed.
Mike

You better believe it Mike! Getting cooler up North.
Once the rain stopped today, I decided to avoid all housework and get out. This weeks weather forcast looks rather wet! However Blue skies made their appearance today.
A quick visit to Maristany followed by a trip to the “orange Bridge “ at the side of S’Albufera and to the park itself followed.
Some 50 species were seen today including Marsh Harriers, Kestrels, Stone Curlews, Flamingoes, Black Winged Stilts, Greenshank, Bar tailed Godwit, Shoverlers, Shellducks, Common and Red Crested Pochards, Marbled Ducks, Glossy Ibis, etc.
The most enjoyable moments included some 70 Avocets flying, the sound of the Hoopoe calling and Moustache Warblers singing.
I am sure I heard Willow Warblers as well.
Spring may be around the corner.
Looking forward to tomorrow with “Magic “ Mike.

Attachments

• 23CA68BB-5368-4D73-8256-1203D75D8B55.jpeg
    23CA68BB-5368-4D73-8256-1203D75D8B55.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 788828C2-80E4-4728-BA5B-907C969E9B82.jpeg
    788828C2-80E4-4728-BA5B-907C969E9B82.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 126AC856-E25A-4206-BE76-BA6652BAE7A1.jpeg
    126AC856-E25A-4206-BE76-BA6652BAE7A1.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 11
  • D6974D6D-EB1E-4B65-B16B-18BECDABF9E3.jpeg
    D6974D6D-EB1E-4B65-B16B-18BECDABF9E3.jpeg