• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Malta and hunting policy (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

Farnborough John Cheers. I thought I had edited the post after accidentally posting it ta, Meant to ask if they have any idea how many birds are actually getting shot. Obviously you can't begin to work on the quota without all the details, as in other countries the people setting the figures are absolutely clueless. What can the Maltese hunters shoot legally, they can't just be going out shooting Turtle Doves?

Gladiator96

Farnborough John Cheers. I thought I had edited the post after accidentally posting it ta, Meant to ask if they have any idea how many birds are actually getting shot. Obviously you can't begin to work on the quota without all the details, as in other countries the people setting the figures are absolutely clueless. What can the Maltese hunters shoot legally, they can't just be going out shooting Turtle Doves?
Andy, hunters report their catches through an SMS reporting system. This obviously doesn't work since very few hunters report their catches and therefore noone really has really any idea how many birds are killed. In the 2020/21 hunting season only 2.7% of 10,675 hunters reported any catches...which is obviously complete horsesh*t especially considering that the huntable species include common species which all hunters are guaranteed to catch plenty of such as song thrush, starling and skylarks. As with an EU country there are plenty of huntable species in Malta as per the Birds Directive.

Users who are viewing this thread