• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Man, oh man, I've got some work to do... (2 Viewers)

Sounds like you are having the time of your life. Good for you!

I haven't had the time or luck to see anything new or interesting as of late. I go out in the morning put the seed in the feeders and head out for the day.
Although, the other morning I was outside and heard some birds way up in the two trees that grace my yard and the yards of three other houses, I couldn't see them, my bins were in the car(bad place for them seeing how cold it has been), and couldn't recognize the sounds they were making. Some migrants I am suspecting. Another miss for me.
Made me bring the bins back into the house though.

Went on the Westport, CT Christmas Bird Count for the Audubon Society yesterday - it was AMAZING, the group saw 77 species in total, 21 of which were new for me (and a few that I didn't count because I didn't see them). I'll maybe write something up about it later.

P.S. Took Western Sandpiper off my list - after carefully examining the differences between it and Sanderling, I decided that I could only be sure of seeing the Sanderling.

My list (also started this year) is only at 121 - I live on the east coast. When I went to California and Lake Tahoe for 2 weeks in early October I added over 50 birds to my list! I, too, was amazed by the difference in birds of the two coasts.

I'd love to see a Horned Lark.

Went on the Old Saybrook Christmas Bird Count on Jan. 1st, and boy did it pay off - for both my year list and my life list! The group saw 90 species - only 49 of which I verified (I can't go by call as easily as experienced birders can), but I got 14 lifers out of it!

TER-IFFIC DAY!!! First, I wake up bright and early to find my first Red Fox Sparrow (sub-species lifer :-/) hopping around my feeder, and 10 minutes later my very first Eastern Towhee shows up! Later, in the afternoon, I headed down to the Westport's Sherwood Island to see if I could get the White-winged Crossbill, Northern Saw-whet Owl, or Greater White-fronted Geese that have recently been sighted there, but we were 0 for 3. Then we went down to Norwalk's 14 Acre Pond and got ourselves a few surprises: Northern Pintail, Gadwall (year bird), and Ring-necked Duck. Very good day - my year list is now at 60 already!

Hi Alex enjoying your posts, great to see someone bitten by the birding bug.

Dare you to estimate how many bird species you will see by end of year ?

Regards Cuddy

cuddy said:
Hi Alex enjoying your posts, great to see someone bitten by the birding bug.

Dare you to estimate how many bird species you will see by end of year ?

Regards Cuddy

Thanks, Cuddy. Hmmm... I wouldn't want to jinx myself or set a mark I couldn't meet... but ever since I've been studying my Sibley day and night, it's been much easier to make IDs. I currently have 3 Wood-Warblers and NO Tyrant Flycatchers, so I'm sure this spring'll do me some good! ;-) Right now (though this may change), I can't see myself having more than 175 birds for the year, but who knows!

Spent some of the morning / afternoon in Westport, CT and near West Rock Park, CT...

Side note: FINALLY saw Wild Turkeys (year bird) in New Haven on my way out to Westport.

3 Year birds (Black Vulture (lifer), Turkey Vulture, and Fish Crow) in Westport, and nothing new (about 150 Ring-necked Ducks, 10 Hooded Mergs, 5 Mallards, a Bufflehead, and tons of Canada Geese and Mute Swans) near West Rock Park, but got some shots of a Mute Swan on my new digital camera / bins (all in one!). Thought I'd post 3 of the 15. Not great, just fun to take.

Attachments

• mute_swan_002.jpg
    mute_swan_002.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 149
  • mute_swan_003.jpg
    mute_swan_003.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 163
  • mute_swan_006.jpg
    mute_swan_006.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 147
Added Northern Saw-whet Owl and White-winged Crossbill this weekend thanks to Sherwood Island. Both were in the same spots my friend told me they were 3 weeks ago.

Got the Townsend's Solitaire today up in Hamden, CT - has been reported for about 2 weeks now. I plan to go and get a better look some other time, but for now, my heard ID was good enough.

10 new lifers after FL trip:

116. American Coot
117. Common Moorhen
118. Boat-tailed Grackle
119. Pied-billed Grebe
120. Eurasian Collared-Dove
121. Little Blue Heron
122. White Ibis
123. Anhinga
124. Wood Stork
125. Tree Swallow

Updated the quality of my list today using my recently downloaded AOU list. I feel much better now. That. Took. So. Long. :gn:

EDIT: I haven't posted in this thread in a little while, but I'm at 131 now, most recent 6 lifers have been Canvasback, Surf Scoter, Northern Goshawk, Eastern Bluebird, Wood Duck, and Eurasian Wigeon.

Last edited:
While in CT before I left for Turks & Caicos:

132. American Woodcock
133. Eastern Phoebe

Then, a totally awesome trip to Turks & Caicos yielded 17 lifers:

134. Cape May Warbler
135. Common Ground-Dove
136. Yellow-throated Warbler
137. Bahama Woodstar
138. Cattle Egret
139. Bananaquit
140. White-tailed Tropicbird
141. Black-necked Stilt
142. White-cheeked Pintail
143. Tricolored Heron
144. Blue-winged Teal
145. Least Grebe
146. Green Heron
147. Cuban Crow
148. Greater Flamingo
149. American Oystercatcher
150. Royal Tern

150 PARTY!!!
o:D 8-P o:D
Now that that's done with...

I have some awesome pictures which I plan to upload later tonight - just got back last night and absolutely crashed (even though no time zone difference (o)<). I also plan to post some unknown songbird and wader pics on Q&A later - I can definitely squeeze a few out of that! Update w/ edit.

Latest 06er:pied-billed Grebe
Latest lifer: Eastern Meadowlark #175 of the total list, (only 186)
The Eastern Meadowlark is my latest MDer too.

marcus said:
Latest 06er:pied-billed Grebe
Latest lifer: Eastern Meadowlark #175 of the total list, (only 186)
The Eastern Meadowlark is my latest MDer too.

PBGBs are cool - took me until last month (Feb) to see one though.
I'd love to see a meadowlark - *fingers crossed for this summer!*

Also - I'm going to Europe (Italy, Germany, and Austria) this summer for a few weeks, so my overall life list will get a little energy boost. Stay good, Marcus - keep it up!

Alex, I suppose that you've seen your first Eastern Phoebe somewhere in some other state? Was that latest one this year?
I'm not too good at those abbreviations, so when I read the email from you, I had to go to BirdForum to find out what a PBGB is. I should have figured that out.

marcus said:
Alex, I suppose that you've seen your first Eastern Phoebe somewhere in some other state? Was that latest one this year?
I'm not too good at those abbreviations, so when I read the email from you, I had to go to BirdForum to find out what a PBGB is. I should have figured that out.

'Salright. My Eastern Phoebe was first for the year, state, and life, but since then I've seen no new birds in CT, but have seen new birds for my year and life lists (Turks & Caicos trip - details and birds above).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back