• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Man shot bird of prey (1 Viewer)

I'm not saying don't do something. Just that there's no sense in endangering yourself. All you can do is report the incident and then make yourself available for the CPS. At least this was a successful prosecution. If it happened on a certain Norfolk estate ;) it wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Twite.

I know Twites position is influnced by his work and there is no way that he can recomend anyone tackle a 'gunman' but i to have been about guns all my life and know the difference between an old airsporter and an AK47

Thats my point, I agree that as a general rule tackling people with guns is pretty obviously a bad idea but here we are talking about a bloke at the end of his garden shooting a bird with an air gun not someone in a ski mask robbing a bank with an uzi which is what some people are making it sound like.

Oh and just because the heavy handed approach might be the professional response doesnt for a second mean it bares any relation to a bit of common sense. I've lost count of the amount of cases i've read of where members of the public have phoned the police about some 'crazed gunman' which obviously they have a duty to respond to and dont know what to expect but when they arrive at a field to find a man sat in a camo netting hide with his Pigeon decoys out infront of him it hardly takes an Einstien to realise that a full scale armed assualt on him is probably a little over the top or so you would have thought, its only a matter of time before an innocent man is killed because of this heavy handed approach totally lacking in the slightest scrap of common sense or knowledge of what they are dealing with.

Thats my point, I agree that as a general rule tackling people with guns is pretty obviously a bad idea but here we are talking about a bloke at the end of his garden shooting a bird with an air gun not someone in a ski mask robbing a bank with an uzi which is what some people are making it sound like.

Oh and just because the heavy handed approach might be the professional response doesnt for a second mean it bares any relation to a bit of common sense. I've lost count of the amount of cases i've read of where members of the public have phoned the police about some 'crazed gunman' which obviously they have a duty to respond to and dont know what to expect but when they arrive at a field to find a man sat in a camo netting hide with his Pigeon decoys out infront of him it hardly takes an Einstien to realise that a full scale armed assualt on him is probably a little over the top or so you would have thought, its only a matter of time before an innocent man is killed because of this heavy handed approach totally lacking in the slightest scrap of common sense or knowledge of what they are dealing with.

When I called the police a few years ago regarding a badger shot at its sett the police chose to respond with an ARV, helicopter et al.

When I called the police a few years ago regarding a badger shot at its sett the police chose to respond with an ARV, helicopter et al.

Thats fair enough (though maybe still a little over the top)because everyone can see by the very fact it was Badger that something illegal and dodgy was going on. The point i was making was about people calling the police for what they deem to be a threat when actually its just they havent got a clue what they are talking about for example someone perfectly legally shooting Pigeons and I think it would be a good idea for a lot more police to have a much better understanding of what they are dealing with so they can use a bit of common sense. All to often this doesnt seem to be the case. But we are getting way off topic now.

Thats fair enough (though maybe still a little over the top)because everyone can see by the very fact it was Badger that something illegal and dodgy was going on. The point i was making was about people calling the police for what they deem to be a threat when actually its just they havent got a clue what they are talking about for example someone perfectly legally shooting Pigeons and I think it would be a good idea for a lot more police to have a much better understanding of what they are dealing with so they can use a bit of common sense. All to often this doesnt seem to be the case. But we are getting way off topic now.

It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There is one category. Member of public reporting incident involving a gun. Someone sitting at a desk receiving a call reporting a man with a gun isn't in an position to decide what action is appropriate. That's for someone else to decide. At that point it's a response to 'someone with a gun'. Yes mistakes are made and so on....

If it happened that I was in a position where I had to assess someone's mental capacity before I went nose to nose with them (them being armed of course) I'd give it a miss.

Twite.

I would !!!!!!!!!.......and guarantee you that I would wrap his gun around his head...for doing this.....!!!

I suppose the acid test here is, would you advise a member of your family to confront a gunman in this or any other situation? After all if you think he's not going to hurt you he wouldn't hurt them either....would he?

Twite.

I would !!!!!!!!!.......and guarantee you that I would wrap his gun around his head...for doing this.....!!!

Did your mother never tell you that two wrongs dont make a right?

Have a wild guess at which one of you would get locked up in that situation, and righly so.

"And I surely wouldn't tackle someone with a gun- anything could happen in the heat of the moment, and he'd probably say the gun went off accidently."

Suddenly we're dealing with a man who can/would shoot another person and lie about it?!!!

The 2 crimes are poles apart - get real.

thats a lame excuse, "it killed my pigeons" what do you expect from a raptor, it was hunting as its a part of its nature.

Did your mother never tell you that two wrongs dont make a right?

Have a wild guess at which one of you would get locked up in that situation, and righly so.

Well my mother didnt have to tell me that "two wrongs dont make a right"...and i see your point.....but this is not two wrongs..its a man with a gun shooting a BOP...then having the gun he used wrapped around his neck.....its called "what comes around goes around"................

I still dont see how violent asault doesnt count as a wrong no matter what he had done to 'deserve' it but at least we can agree on your second point,pleased I'm not the only who's been able to see the difference between a crazed dangerous gunman and as you say an old fart with an air gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back