• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manaus and surroundings (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

Hi!

I will spend 5 days in Manaus. I thought about going one day to Adolpho Ducke by taxi, other day rent a car a go to President Figuerido area and sleep there one night, and the two last nights in a (cheap) jungle lodge.

Any suggestions or ideas? Note I don't have money enough to go to the expensive lodges ..

PD: I couldnt continue the manaus thread, sorry

many thanks,

I liked Presidente Figueiredo. Nice little town, though the waterfalls can be pretty crowded. Definitely worth the diversion.

We stayed at a little posada in town called Pousada da Wal. Not fancy, but good A/C and friendly staff.

The Cock-of-the-rock lek at Maroaga Caves was tough to get to (for me anyway), but the Pelzeln's Tody-tyrant at Parque das Orquideas was actually easier than advertised.

Last edited:
Hi!

I will spend 5 days in Manaus. I thought about going one day to Adolpho Ducke by taxi, other day rent a car a go to President Figuerido area and sleep there one night, and the two last nights in a (cheap) jungle lodge.

Any suggestions or ideas? Note I don't have money enough to go to the expensive lodges ..

PD: I couldnt continue the manaus thread, sorry

many thanks,

To walk the trails at the Reserva Adolpho Ducke you need to obtain authorization and be accompanied by someone from INPA. If you mean the excellent canopy tower at the Manaus Botanical Gardens (the forest here is adjacent to the Ducke reserve), then authorization is not required, but you will need to contact an agency or guide who can arrange for you to enter prior the reserve's official opening hours (8 AM). There is a R$50 fee to visit the tower outside the normal opening hours.

At Presidente Figueiredo a good option is the Aldeia Marí Marí Lodge, which has an easily accessible Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock lek, White-winged Potoo near the lodge, in addition to a good selection of white sand specialties and Guianan Shield endemics on their somewhat limited trail system.

A cheaper option is the Iracema Falls Hotel, which is surrounded by productive secondary forest with an excellent range of Guianan Shield birds. Crimson Topaz can be reliably found near the reception building.

Given just 5 days, my suggestion would be to split your time between Manaus / Presidente Figueiredo and Novo Airão for the Anavilhanas archipelago. I wouldn't bother with most of the jungle lodges near Manaus, as they don't usually have much interest in offering flexible programs for birders. Typically you will watch the sunrise, maybe swim with river dolphins, visit an indigenous community, and possibly see a few monkeys or sloths. One exception might be Hotel Tupana (*not* to be confused with the Amazon Tupana Lodge -- a very common mistake; PM me if you'd like contact information for Tupana), which has several excellent trails in nice forest south of the Amazon river... very good for antbirds and a number of recently described species including Predicted Antwren, Inambari Gnatcatcher, Inambari Woodcreeper and others. Tupana is not cheap though, so perhaps this won't fit your budget.

I liked Presidente Figueiredo. Nice little town, though the waterfalls can be pretty crowded. Definitely worth the diversion.

We stayed at a little posada in town called Pousada da Wal. Not fancy, but good A/C and friendly staff.

The Cock-of-the-rock lek at Maroaga Caves was tough to get to (for me anyway), but the Pelzeln's Tody-tyrant at Parque das Orquideas was actually easier than advertised.

Just a note to any readers of this thread: the Parque Municipal das Orquideas in Presidente Figueiredo is best avoided at present due to security issues. For Pelzeln's Tody-Tyrant please visit either Marí Marí (the tody-tyrant occurs in the vicinity of the Cock-of-the-Rock lek) or the INPA Campina reserve on the BR-174 (this latter only with authorization from INPA and a guide).

Returned and in love with the nature and the food of the country!!!

Many thanks to all who have helped me in the design of the trip, specially @sclateria

6 jaguars in just one day..

If someone needs info please let me know!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back