• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mandarin Duck (1 Viewer)

Just spotted this little guy at Thornes Park in Wakefield. Didn't know we had any in these parts apart from Lotherton Hall and the likes? Are there a lot in the area? Could only spot him and no females, looked a lonely little guy!

Attachments

• dsd.jpg
    dsd.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 76
Quite a coincidence but we spotted a pair yesterday on one of the local reservoirs, only just appeared with no early sightings reported, I'm hoping they're going to stay and have some young |=)|

Yes Phil us too! Me and mum chose to have a walk around Thornes for the first time in a long time and glad we did (bar the litter and them seemingly chopping all the trees down)!

Will be heading back to keep an eye out and will post any updates. The little guy seemed alone but looked mighty content with his company of the mallards and Canada Geese!

Couple of feral populations of Mandarins. One based around Adel Dam in North Leeds and one on the Wharfe between Adingham and Bolton Abbey. Max numbers Ive seen 14 birds at Adel and c30 birds at Bolton Abbey. Not aware of any other groups in the area

Interesting,Keith,there has been a few around Burnsall,further up the Wharfe.Didn't see them last year,but we stopped for an ice cream and the home made flapjack from the village shop,not birding!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info all. Just back from Dubai, nice to be back to the later light nights with the sun out. 3 weeks of uni deadlines to get across the line then there will be plenty of outings!

There was a pair last year on the Ure at Hackfall Woods. They also breed on the Ouse at Beningbrough Park (in the walled garden). So probably more widespread than is realised.

They are regular in Harewood Park (source of the local birds?) with a build-up each autumn, peaking at just over 100 birds in some years. It's still odd to see ducks perching in trees, as they do along the streams and around the lake.
Egyptian Geese have bred there for the last couple of years, so expect that population to increase locally as well.

Just spotted this little guy at Thornes Park in Wakefield. Didn't know we had any in these parts apart from Lotherton Hall and the likes? Are there a lot in the area? Could only spot him and no females, looked a lonely little guy!
Hi there, I spotted the male mandarin duck in the stream at the side of the main road in Westgate Wakefield, near the prison. He was alone and resting, I didn't think he was real till he shuffled his tail feathers :) I was on the bus, im goin to see if he's still there tomorrow, get a picture, he was alone with all the resident mallards that live in the drainage stream. And the same day I saw a great white egret on nostell priory top lake fishing in the margins on the wood side, what next... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back