• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 323 adapter on 500 FLuid head (1 Viewer)

jkingrph

I am wanting to use the smaller Manfrotto 323 adapter with the 200Pl plates for my spotting scope on a 500 fluid head using the 500pl long plate. My reasoning for this is 1 the 200 pl plate is much shorter and i can use more easily on my camera and 2, i have a scope stand that clamps to a bench for my bench rest rifle shooting, and again is the 323 system is more compact.

The 323 simply will not fit directly on a 500 plate, as the safety lock prohibits it from fitting flat. I saw a you tube video of an adapter, that used a piece of 1/2x1 1/2 aluminum to make an adapter . with some careful measuring i determined that a 1/2 inch rise is totally unnecessary and decided on 3/16 " although i think 1/8 would work fine. That said I picked up a piece of 3/16x2" as 2" will fit the width of the 323 adapter and look neater. I will cut to match the other dimension on the 323 bottom, drill a hole larger enough for a 1/4x20 captive screw to freely pass through, then another hole tapped for 1/4x20 to use existing screw in the 500 plate to secure the adapter plate from twisting. I found some 1/4x20 - 3/4" socket head captive screws at McMaster-Carr, a US supplier. I had actually order some 1" and they are simply too long. The socket head is a little tall under the 500 plate so may have to file a little off so it passes over the 500 fluid head freely, but it will not be much. It sounds a little involved, but really a hacksaw, drill with a couple of the right size bits, a tap if you desire the anti twist screw, and a file are all that are needed, just a little measuring, drilling and cutting.

This way with a little work I shall have a neat looking set ups where i can use the same QD plates across all my systems.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back