• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 500 head + balance rail (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

Hello, can I fit the foot of the Swarovski balance rail for scopes directly in the manfrotto head without using the manfrotto plate ?

Hi,

i haven't found any specs for the balance rail on the Swaro site (yay new page layout which does everything to hide info from the visitor and tries hard to sell an experience).
But since the only head they offer atm is the CTH and that has an Arca Swiss compatible mount and plate as per its manual, I would expect the balance rail to have the same... and thus not directly fit the Manfrotto 500AH, which takes Manfrotto 500PL style long plates.

Those do also serve the purpose to balance the scope, albeit with a bit less range than the Swaro balance rail (at least in their default form - there might be longer aftermarket ones) and of course don't have the adjustable objective rest of the swaro offering.

Joachim

Hello, can I fit the foot of the Swarovski balance rail for scopes directly in the manfrotto head without using the manfrotto plate ?
From the SWOptics website Balance rail fits on the tripod mount of the scope and then fits directly onto the quick release plate of the tripod head, eg a Manfrotto MN128 RC or MVH500AH or one of Swarovski's own brand heads.

The BR natively only fits onto Arca-Swiss clamps. Manfrotto do their own thing and apart from maybe one or two heads none of them will accept arca-compatible plates - or indeed the BR. So you will almost certainly have to put the BR onto a Manfrotto plate that is compatible with your head. Video heads have odd plates anyway ... just to complicate matters further. For those reasons I now avoid Manfrotto stuff like the plague.

From the SWOptics website Balance rail fits on the tripod mount of the scope and then fits directly onto the quick release plate of the tripod head, eg a Manfrotto MN128 RC or MVH500AH or one of Swarovski's own brand heads.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

If its me, I would modify that great 500AH head with a Kirk top plate and clamp thereby converting the whole thing to arca swiss. Best thing I have done in the camera and scope support realm.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)
Thanks very much and hello to everyone who runs and those that support BirdForum.

I’m fascinated by the vast depth of knowledge and passion of the members and would say it’s one of my top ‘go to’ places if I want to research a subject matter - I’m relatively new to the community and so very much the new kid on the block and learning all the time. No doubt at some point I’ll ask a daft question that will get peoples eyes rolling and hope people will go gentle on me, we all had to learn at some point.

Keep up the great work KC and thank you again for the warm welcome. Off to volunteer at my local RSPB site in the morning so back to sleep for me 😁

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back