• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 804RC2 Head or other? (1 Viewer)

rin

:hi:

I recently purchased a Manfrotto 190V tripod and opticron spotting scope but the head that came with the tripod for the scope has a second security lock on it which cannot be tighted when I have on digital slr so I was thinking about buying a second head purely for my digital slr. The digital slr hangs over the lock and hangs over the panning handle which isn't convenient.

Has anyone any experience of the three way Manfrotto 804RC2 head which is reasonably new on the market?

I didn't want to buy yet another piece of kit which would not be suitable for my needs.

Or.........would you be able to recommend something else ie a ball head that you have experience of.

I have a canon eos 300d digital slr.

Thank you very much........I await your advice.

Catherine x

:D

Probably going to invest in the Opticron gs 665 ed soon and was also contemplating a Manfrotto tripod - can you recommend this combination?

most birders recommend the 055MFV fibre tripod with either 700, 701 or 128RC2 head using any type of large format scope.

im using Nikon ED82 angle with special made eyepiece for digiscoping (still waiting for the camera and bracket, hehehe) and the 190NAT tripod and 701RC2 head both from Manfrotto.

would like to buy the fibre tripod, but during that time, don't have stock in the market in the city :( ... but im pretty satisfies with stability offered from my combination :eek:

I have recently bought a 055 aluminium tripod with the 701rc head. The tripod is very solid and the head is excellent, very smooth in all directions. I like the quick release clips for a fast set up, also like most tripods I can use the centre column with a hide clamp.

horukuru said:
most birders recommend the 055MFV fibre tripod with either 700, 701 or 128RC2 head using any type of large format scope.

im using Nikon ED82 angle with special made eyepiece for digiscoping (still waiting for the camera and bracket, hehehe) and the 190NAT tripod and 701RC2 head both from Manfrotto.

would like to buy the fibre tripod, but during that time, don't have stock in the market in the city :( ... but im pretty satisfies with stability offered from my combination :eek:

thanks for the info, i have a 190CL satin w/ a 486RC2 ball-head, it was fine with my 60mm Fieldscope III ED but now that i'm rocking a ED82 i wonder if it will be able to handle the added load.
i suppose only the weekends birding will determine.

I don't understand why most of these people are recommending video/spotting-scope heads (e.g. 701RC2) when you specifically said that you are "thinking about buying a second head purely for my digital slr."

I have also been looking at the 804RC2 head. I do not have one, but I have the very similar 3030RC2, which the 804 replaces. I really like the 3030. The 3 big handles (similar to what is on the 804, but somewhat different shape) are perfect for control. I was afraid that they are so big that they'd get in the way, but the opposite is the case - they are very usable and handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back