• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manky Mallard or hybrid? UK (1 Viewer)

UKBirder23

Hello all,
Where I live on the Thames, we of course have all kinds of "Manky" Mallards. A new one showed up this year, and he was so strikingly different, and his bill is of a much shorter length than any normal or Manky Mallard that I've ever seen, that I wondered if he was a hybrid between a Mallard and another wild duck species, or just your typical Manky. Thank you!

Attachments

• Manky 1.jpg
    Manky 1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Manky 2.jpg
    Manky 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Manky 3.jpg
    Manky 3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
The stubby bill suggests that this is, or has genes from, a "Call Duck" domestic type: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_duck

I considered that as the bill is indeed small but in my experience of seeing these bibbed call duck types, they are always quite a lot smaller than ‘normal’ Mallards. The OPs look quite large/long bodied to me, so perhaps there’s a mix in there of several gene traits? Or I’m over-estimating the size?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back