• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March Moths 2023 (1 Viewer)

The first evening last night that I've caught more than a single moth so far this year; 11 Common Quakers, 2 Small Quakers, 2 Chestnuts and single Brindled Pug and Hebrew Character.

Only my second attempt of the year - my location is very unproductive until at least late April - but I did get two moths last night:
Common Quaker - my earliest ever by 11 days
Hebrew Character - earliest ever by 13 days
A friend nearby with a much better garden/location had 17 moths of nine species, three of which would have been lifers for me - Diurnea fagella, Acleris cristana and Oak Beauty - plus two that I have only caught once, Brindled Beauty and Oak Nycteoline.

Went to my first session of the year at dawn at a local west London reserve. A fairly mild night but some heavy downpours.

Brindled Pug 2
Diurnea fagella 3
Dyseriocrania subpurpurella 2
Common Quaker 3
Hebrew Character 2
Chestnut

Earlier in the week had a Double-striped Pug in the living room!

In the rain above the security light tonight, always nice to see if only occasional.

Attachments

• 54967CB9-2417-4FD3-9D8E-595D08963D90.jpeg
    54967CB9-2417-4FD3-9D8E-595D08963D90.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back