• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Gention (1 Viewer)

Kathpeter

OLD..BOLD..AND PAST THE USE BY DATE
My mentor once took me to search for this rarity many years ago. I have returned on a couple of occasions to the same location but sadly never had any further luck. As a result this location in North York's is the only one in the country I know of. The question here for the experts is......1) how rare is the Marsh Gentian and 2) where else can it be found.

Apologies for the mis-spelling in the title.

Pete.

Attachments

• Img0045-1.jpg
    Img0045-1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
My mentor once took me to search for this rarity many years ago. I have returned on a couple of occasions to the same location but sadly never had any further luck. As a result this location in North York's is the only one in the country I know of. The question here for the experts is......1) how rare is the Marsh Gentian and 2) where else can it be found.

Apologies for the mis-spelling in the title.

Pete.
Dorset is a good county for this species. It is a rare species in the UK. I have also seen it in the New Forest and two sites in Norfolk.Sadly where I saw this species in a third site in North Norfolk in the 80's , the site has dried up and I think it might have gone. It also grows in Anglesey where I have yet to see it. Someone gave me details of the Yorks site which one day I will come and have a look as I can recognise this species as non flowering plants.

Brian Laney Northants.

Brian Laney Northants.

Thanks for replies Leif and Brian.

If you need pointing in the right direction in N York's regarding this rarity either now or in the future please get in touch Brian. I support any suggestions - in many cases - of suppression were rarities are concerned therefore posting on the internet is a definite NO NO.

Pete.

Thanks for replies Leif and Brian.

If you need pointing in the right direction in N York's regarding this rarity either now or in the future please get in touch Brian. I support any suggestions - in many cases - of suppression were rarities are concerned therefore posting on the internet is a definite NO NO.

Pete.
Thanks Pete. I will let you know when I again head that way. I agree to suppress on the internet since Meadow Clary in Kent and Military Orchid in Bucks being dug up this year. The Meadow Clary in one of the Kent stations was nearly wiped out due to some numpty with a trowel.

Brian Laney Northamptonshire.

Yep......some pretty sick people still - and always will be - around but we will leave that one hanging for the sake of keeping this website nice and friendly,and as un-political as possible.

Pete.

There are a couple of regular sites in Lincolnshire for it, one a nature reserve and one a golf-course. The populations at poth sites fluctuate wildly year-on-year and probably as a result of the dampness of the ground conditions, but it is annually recorded at both sites.

Thanks for your contribution here 'Nelbert'.

I was impressed to hear Brian tell us he can ID the Marsh Gentian as a non flowering plant. If that's the case I must try to have his company when I visit the N York's site next as I may well have overlooked this beauty on at least two return visits here because of my lack of skill in doing what Brian can obviously do.

Pete.

Yes it is rare in Suffolk but as in most cases many sites are kept very secret, We found plenty of sites doing the Flora survey, One of the most interesting surveys were re visiting old sites where it was recorded and we found that the un managed habitat was normally the cause for the extinction at this particular site

With regard to my location 'cjay' you have made an interesting and important comment here in that you concluded that in the case of unmanaged habitat it was usually the cause of extinction. This being the case it is not good news for this N York's site as it is on the fringe of the Forest of Bowland and is most certainly not managed in fact quite the contrary being 'wild' and worse still perhaps on occasions grazed.

All this brings me to wonder how long my 'mentor' - mentioned in the opening of this thread - knew this plant had existed here, in other words how long did it really survive on unmanaged land, furthermore does it still. By the way, if you would excuse my ignorance, in the case of the Marsh Gentian what is the precise meaning of unmanaged land?

Pete.

Last edited:
Land that is not managed by livestock grazing, reedcutting and or "Conservation work" Marshland used to be a great resource for people and by clearing areas for Livestock to graze and other marshland skills the plant could survive, water courses are not cleared by hand either so this is a problem too.

It's an interesting point

On the sites where I know it occurs in Lincolnshire, it is on sites where the habitat is managed in a beneficial way - on the sites where I know it's been lost the wetland is still there (except in one case) but the site is now either wet alder/birch woodland or is puddled due to over-grazing. I suspect it's intolerant of much shade/competition and doesn't do well with disturbance, except in a transitory way.

Incidentally Kath - is it not found on the North York Moors? I can think of a few sites on the Moors that look, at first glance suitable - I'll have to check my Flora when I get home.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back