• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Harrier, Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
This harrier which was hunting yesterday afternoon at San Tin surprised my by showing brown and grey upperwings, which is a pattern I associate with Western Marsh Harrier, but don't know if Eastern Marsh Harrier can show such uniformly brown back and coverts. While its a lousy shot the views in the field did confirm the unstreaked brown back and coverts and grey outer wing with a subterminal band barring of black spots. The distinctive white rump contrasted with the grey tailed. The underparts (dark primaries apart, were predominantly white and only the head and upper breast showed darker streaking.

Interested in any thoughts

Cheers
Mike

DSC02751 Marsh Harrier @ San Tin bf.jpg

Mike Hi, (long time no speak).
Prior to reading your thread, I’d had no experience of Eastern Marsh Harrier however, a web search did show not infrequently birds with variable amounts of brown to the upper wings, they do seem to be quite variable.
A great background shot by the way, was it taken from your balcony?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back