• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or reed warbler central Scotland (1 Viewer)

Dawsy

I saw and heard this warbler this morning in reed beds in central scotland. On hearing it, I'd assumed it was a sedge warbler (very common at the site) but was really impressed by the amount of mimicry so moved a bit closer to try to record it. I spotted that it lacked the bold sedge warbler head pattern so took a few pictures. The amount of mimicry makes me wonder if it's a marsh warbler but I'm not convinced by the pictures or the fact that it was singing in a reedbed. There are a series of recordings and almost all the singing you can hear is one bird. There is an actual wren in there and, I think, a crow but there is mimicry of numerous species and there were plenty of others I didn't catch in the recordings (coot and skylark were particularly memorable). I've not heard reed warblers in a long while but I don't remember mimicry like this.
The recordings are quiet but you can hear it OK if you turn up the volume.

Edit: recordings not working in the browser for me but could play them by right-clicking and selecting "save link as" to download....and posted here:

Michael

Attachments

• Acro June 2021.jpg
    Acro June 2021.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Acro June 2021-1.jpg
    Acro June 2021-1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Acro June 2021-1-1.jpg
    Acro June 2021-1-1.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Acro June 2021-2.jpg
    Acro June 2021-2.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Acro June 2021-3.jpg
    Acro June 2021-3.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 27 Jun, 09.34-converted.mp3
    341.3 KB
  • 27 Jun, 09.31-converted.mp3
    334.3 KB
  • 27 Jun, 09.31(2)-converted.mp3
    694.3 KB
  • 27 Jun, 09.30-converted.mp3
    299.7 KB
  • 27 Jun, 09.29-converted.mp3
    388.9 KB
Last edited:
They played okay for me when downloaded. Living in Scotland my recent experience of either species song is almost nil but it does sound more reed than marsh albeit with a fair bit of mimicry going on as you say. Either would be a notable record for central Scotland.

Thanks.
Assuming this is a reed warbler then, how unusual is that amount of mimicry? It's not how I remember reeed warblers normally sounding at all but, as I said, it's been a long while since I heard them regularly.

They played okay for me when downloaded. Living in Scotland my recent experience of either species song is almost nil but it does sound more reed than marsh albeit with a fair bit of mimicry going on as you say. Either would be a notable record for central Scotland.
The berry picker :)

I see you are on this forum too. Not just Corydoras then? I`ll send you a PM bud.

Hi TheFifeFlyer and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Assuming this is a reed warbler then, how unusual is that amount of mimicry? It's not how I remember reeed warblers normally sounding at all
I don't expect any mimicry from reed warbler. Your bird does sound a deal more all over the place than reed warbler normally does - so maybe it is marsh warbler - but yet it's not really close at all to how remarkable they sound.

many eurasian reed warblers do some mimicking. this individual does a lot but doesn't sound like a true marsh warbler, as already said. so, scirpaceus for me.

Hi TheFifeFlyer and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Yeah, I saw that last night and spent an hour getting through half of Ganders thread from Kirkcaldy to Kinhorn. I`ll get through it all eventually as it`s my home town and me and my wife often walk that way.

For sure, if possible I/we would love to tag along some time.

Thanks.

Thanks all. As stated by others, reed warbler is also a pretty good bird around here (my first in Scotland I think) so I'm happy enough with that. It was also highly entertaining to listen to.
Michael

Thanks all. As stated by others, reed warbler is also a pretty good bird around here (my first in Scotland I think) so I'm happy enough with that. It was also highly entertaining to listen to.
Michael
Reed Warblers are starting to colonise Scotland, they breed (or have bred in) in Dumfries and Galloway, the Borders, Lothian and Perthshire, as far as I am aware. Marsh Warbler is a very rare migrant, mainly to the northern Isles, sometimes on the east coast. Blyth’s is also now a possibility on the east coast. You said central Scotland which to me means the area between Edinburgh, Stirling and Glasgow. The habitat looks okay for Reed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back